Detective tells accuser's account in Bryant case

king kong

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/includes/kobe.jpg'>

Detective tells accuser's account in Bryant case

Thursday, October 9, 2003 Posted: 7:39 PM EDT (2339 GMT)

EAGLE, Colorado (CNN) -- In the first public testimony in the sexual assault case against professional basketball player Kobe Bryant, a detective detailed in graphic form Thursday what he said the alleged victim told him about the encounter.

The 25-year-old Los Angeles Lakers star is accused of sexually assaulting the 19-year-old hotel clerk on June 30 when he was a guest at a mountain lodge where she worked in Edwards, west of the Vail ski resort.

Bryant, who is married, has acknowledged having had sex with the woman, but insisted it was consensual and that he did not assault her.

Testifying in a preliminary hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence to take the case to trial, Eagle County Detective Doug Winters said the woman told him she had been excited when she heard Bryant was going to check into the hotel, and that she wanted to meet him.

She said that after giving a tour to the 6-foot-6, 220-pound Bryant and two other people who checked in with him, the athlete asked her back to his room, Winters said.

The detective said she told him there was "mutual flirting" between the two.

Once there, Bryant asked her to lift up her skirt and show him a tattoo she had on her back, Winters said.

When she asked him for his autograph, Bryant told her to return later and he would give it to her then, the detective said.

Before she left the room, the detective testified, "She said he began kissing her mouth and neck, which she agreed to."

He said she told him that Bryant then "began to grope her, touching her breasts and buttocks area."

At that point, the detective said, the woman said she was afraid and wanted to leave the room. The detective testified that she told him, "'Kobe Bryant grabbed me with both hands around my neck. I was afraid he was going to choke me.'"

The detective said she told him Bryant then turned her over a chair and raped her. Winters said she cried during the act, which lasted five minutes and took place fewer than 90 minutes after Bryant had checked in.

Bryant repeatedly told the woman not to tell anyone and she agreed, Winter testified.

She said Bryant then asked her to clean herself up and she went into the bathroom, where she dried her tears and brushed her hair, and then she left the room, Winters said.

It was after midnight when the woman said she returned to the front desk to count the money in the cash registers, which was supposed to have been done by 11 p.m., the scheduled end of her shift.

As she was counting the money, a bellhop came by and she recounted what had happened, Winters said. He followed her home to ensure she was OK. The next day, the woman went to the hospital, the detective said.

Throughout the detective's testimony, Bryant sat expressionless in the courtroom, listening. He did not talk to his attorneys.

The defense will have a chance to cross-examine the detective.

The prosecution also showed photographs taken after the alleged event that showed lacerations on the woman's genitals and on her jaw.

Denver defense attorney Larry Pozner said the "sad and savage story" recounted in court today was not unexpected by Bryant's defense team.

"The thing we must keep in mind is that none of this can take the defense by surprise," Pozner said. "We must ask ourselves, 'Why are they doing the preliminary hearing?' The answer is cross-examination. They must have some details they think the detective doesn't want to talk about."

Legal experts said defense attorneys appear to have decided it would be better to have the alleged details surface now rather than when seating a jury.

Bryant, who left the Lakers' training camp in Hawaii on Wednesday, arrived for the 1 p.m. (3 p.m. ET) hearing an hour early. Wearing a dark suit and an orange shirt, Bryant strode into the Eagle County courthouse, eyes straight ahead, without saying anything to the reporters covering the case.

District Attorney Mark Hurlbert's evidence includes photographs of the woman after the alleged incident, an audiotape of Bryant being interviewed by investigators the next day and a video with the woman talking about the case, although it is not clear what the pictures or the tapes contain.

Bryant faces one count of felony sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. The case could go to trial as soon as next spring.

Last week, Eagle County Judge Frederick Gannett decided that Bryant's accuser would not be required to attend this preliminary hearing.

--CNN correspondent Gary Tuchman contributed to this story.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"began to grope her, touching her breasts and buttocks area."

"'Kobe Bryant grabbed me with both hands around my neck. I was afraid he was going to choke me.'"

"Bryant then turned her over a chair and raped her."

Throughout the detective's testimony, Bryant sat expressionless in the courtroom, listening. He did not talk to his attorneys.

Since the replies to this thread are so ummm, lowbrow, this might be taken the wrong way but...

"Once there, Bryant asked her to lift up her skirt and show him a tattoo she had on her back, Winters said. "

Lifting your skirt to show a tat on your back? This doesn't sound right to me. What do you think?

"i know that nasty bitch wanted his dick, and now she just wants his money.

sad part is females get raped everyday, and just becuse this is a famous ''basketball player'' its all blown up. "

you dont know what happened. wait until the trial and all the evidence is out there before making a judgement. if shes lying, i hope kobe gets off. if kobe really raped her i hope he gets raped in jail.

I'm gonna comment on this, take it or leave it. As St.Ides said, we should wait until the evidence is all out on the table before we decide whether he's guilty or innocent. And I think automatically a lot of people say he's innocent because he's famous and rich and some other such things. First of all, people who 'know that nasty bitch wanted his dick' without hearing anything about it but a couple of news clips need to keep their opinions to themselves. Secondly, the fact that she had sex with 3 guys the week before is really meaningless when it comes to the issue of Kobe raping her. The defense will try to sway the jury by making them think she's a slut and that she wouldn't say no, but it has no bearing on the case at all, whether she had sex with 3 guys or 300 in the last week doesn't mean she said yes to Kobe. I tend to believe that whether or not he did it he'll never see jail for it. I could be wrong... Good day...

Originally posted by Swiffer Jet

the local radio station said something about kobe having her bloodstains on his shirt. hmm...

Winters testified that the woman's blood was found on the inside of Bryant's T-shirt, based on DNA tests. The woman told him she had bleeding from the alleged attack, he said.

Umm... she agreed to him kissing her mouth and neck..... he KNEW

about the tattoo on her back which is why he asked her to show it,

meaning SHE FUCKIN TOLD HIM ALL ABOUT IT. I pretty much believe

this bitch opened her fuckin legs willingly. She might've just been getting

over her rag or something, I don't know. But she's out for money.