Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

designing clothes, etc

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mapo wc, Apr 23, 2002.

1. mapo wc

mapo wc Elite Member

im now living in a nice house with some friends getting ready to go to college. one thing ive been giving serious thought about going into is designing clothes. i eventually want to have my own company - hip-hop clothes like mecca, pnb nation, enyce, etc. Ill have to work my way up to that, and start by designing for other companies.

Obviously people in graffiti are artistic and I remember one person on here saying they used to work for Tribal. Im sure other people have designed clothes or something.

Whats my best route? Could I get away with going to a university or do I HAVE to go to some design/art academy? Any info/experience/advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

On the graf tip, I visited the legal wall in Gainesville (and Im not blowing up spots since its fucking legal!), and I wrote 'Dont join the military! HELL!' across some weird thing that looked like an Air Force ad. I got a flick and Ill scan it when I can. Just doin my part to save the children...

2. Agt. Adopus

Agt. Adopus Guest

Capitalist pig. go drown your self in your clorine pool while "sporting" your nice clothes.

3. MR BOJANGLES

MR BOJANGLES Guest

hahahahahaha...wow.

4. railroadjerk

railroadjerk Guest

like i need a hole in my head

5. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

I think everyone thought at one time that it would be 'cool' to have
    a clothing company. I know a guy who seriously believes he will.

Here's the thing, nobody will wear your shit unless it's better than they can do.
    (unless you're planning on selling fubu at the mall)

As a writer, I'd never wear anything, even just a hand,
    below my own level of quality. Think JNCO... bah

6. mapo wc

mapo wc Elite Member

i really believe i can make nice shit. it wouldnt be graf gear though.
    it would be like ecko or something. and shut the fuck up agt, you dont wear clothes?

7. Agt. Adopus

Agt. Adopus Guest

Yeah once your done exploiting culture you can exploit little indonesion kids to make the appreal it'll be great!!! Your parents will be so proud!

OINK OINK OINK FUCKING PIG!

8. crso

crso Senior Member

designing shoes seemed very interesting to me.:cool:

9. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

I'd like to design glasses.
    Simply because I dont like any of them out there.
    But I dont even wear glasses...
    so sunglasses then.

10. expansionAE

expansionAE Guest

that desining shirts thing sounds interesting. go for it.

11. el barto

el barto Elite Member

make it more like the zoo yourk futura stuff, some of its real simple but dope, dont get all baggy and ten pockets and ten logos on it. and then give me free stuff after you maek em, please! heheh . well do what you want and good luck.

12. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

If you wanna design for some company I'd say go to an art school. If you want to do your own stuff, I'd say go to an art school (obviously you don't have to, but its a good place to get your learn on). If you can't afford to go to an art school, go to a college that has a good design department.

I've got my own company and its not easy, but it can be done.

13. Santa Claus

Santa Claus Senior Member

i want to start to get into stitching clothes together. some of my friends (girls or boys) have really good bodies that would make it really easy for me to design shit that looks good. i'm not thinking about logo type shit, but just sewn together stuff.
    i did the whole logo thing for awhile in 10th grade. it was too much work and didnt really pay off. i figure it'll be fun to sit down w/ a bag of scrap clothes and stitch something together for my friends.

14. SteveAustin

SteveAustin Veteran Member

Man, I wish I could say, but that is just too much info. Shits a direct link to who I am. I'll just say its non team based sports related. A thing to remember is doing work for other people is part of getting extra money to make your own shit. yeah, you might hate it, but it allows you to do what YOU want. Just make sure you get the client to sign off on the final sheet. And make sure that there is a disclaimer saying if they approve it then they can't fuck with you and have to pay you. Fuckers will try and get anything for free nowadays.

15. el barto

el barto Elite Member

give me a hint, something that most wouldnt know about, i think i could figure it out.