Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Depression

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Decyferon, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

I know some of you might remember me others not
    I've gone through a really shit period of life. A relationship has gone tits up. Been finding it difficult to connect with my son (he is almost 13)
    I'm drinking too much and hating life. I've worried about suicide but I don't think I'll do it.
    Dunno why I'm making a thread, just don't know who else to talk to

theprotester likes this.
  2. Fist 666

Fist 666 Moderator Crew

Whatsup man.
    Other than the child piece, I can relate to all of this. Definitely been there, Heads up.

Drinking will not help any of this, I can guarantee you that.

Will DM you.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  3. Hua Guofang

Hua Guofang Dirty Dozen Crew

Hey man, connecting with anyone when you're 13 is really hard. Puberty, transitioning from being a kid into an adult, going to high school and all that shit is not easy. Sometimes all you can do for some one is be there when they need you.

Agree with Fist, booze and smoke are not your friends right now. That shit should be reserved for the good times only. My advice for you right now is to swap that shit for exercise. Set some challenges that will wear you out and give you something to accomplish. Increase the number of chin ups you can do each week, find a set of stairs and time yourself. Put some good music or entertaining podcast in your ears and give yourself some positive alone time. Set the challenges and set your sites on achieving them. This won't fix your problems but little wins like this will feel good and help switch you into a positive and healthier state of mind, which WILL help you deal with problems.

Will hit you up with a PM.

Ko SprueOne and Fist 666 like this.
  4. Brickos

Brickos Dirty Dozen Crew

The Ooontz is here to help...

5. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

Make a thread whenever man. You're all good here, we're here for ya.

I know it sounds corny but start working out or running. Mental health follows physical health. I was in a similar boat not that long ago and having a routine really pulled me out of it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    NightmareOnElmStreet likes this.
  6. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

Long time Decyferon. Like said earlier connecting with anyone at age 13 sucks. Don't do anything that will prevent you from working on and keeping that relationship with your son. Your kid will be a much better human being with his dad in his life. I went to marriage counseling toward the end of my marriage. In the end it wasn't meant to be. But the therapy helped. Fast forward years later. I have a girlfriend and the best little girl a dad could ask for. No matter how bad things might seem there's always better days. Somethings you have control over some you don't. Focus on the things you can control. Things that make you happy. Things that build a better you. Physically, mentally, spiritually. Exercise, reading, hiking, camping, volunteering, etc. I have faith in you bro. You are meant for better things.

7. theprotester

theprotester Moderator Crew

Yo Decy, I'm sorry to hear that mate. I don't have.mini mes but I sure know about alcohol and snoking being a problem. There's a lot of gold in the alcoholism thread if you have a look in there.

If you ever want more information send me a private message

8. KILZ FILLZ

KILZ FILLZ Moderator Crew

9. Brink

Brink Junior Member

depression is quite the bitch

i dont know much about your relationship with your son, but dont try to force anything. 13 is that age where where you just want your parents to fuck off, which is tough to deal with.

10. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Hobbies will help with feelings like that. I think depression has something to do with boredom. +1 on what was said about drinking. I don't drink or smoke anymore and I've noticed that my mood/attitude has leveled out a lot. I'm sure it would be the same for anyone, especially if you're used to doing it either regularly or on a somewhat regular basis. Treatment programs will tell you that you can be an alcoholic even if you only get drunk on the weekends. I'm not suggesting that you cannot drink socially but most people that I've seen drink alcohol have an issue with it whether they are willing to admit it to themselves or not.

Summary: give drinking a rest, try some new hobbies that are positive influences in your life, and be a good role model for your kid. Regardless of age, "connecting" with your kid isn't going to be like connecting with a friend your age. Just take them to do something they'll remember with the mindset that your experience in life from the things you've done and seen is like a blown out hooker and theirs is from the aspect of not having many experiences. A movie would be a good start.

Also, consider that your daily routine is what is fueling depression. I have known a ton of people that do the same thing every day, mostly involving their job, and they are just in the dumps all the time. They won't jump ship from their job for any various number of excuses. My advice is, if anything about your job makes you unhappy and you're not willing to deal with it and are unable to change it.... jump ship. Your free time isn't worth being spent pissed off about what you HAD to deal with at work to make money and pay for things. If you're not happy with your work life you'll have a much more difficult time being happy in your free time. I remind my friends a lot that you do the things that you don't want to do so that you can do the things that you do want to do.... but that doesn't mean the part you don't want to do has to make you feel like dookie every day. This can be from a number of reasons including: annoying boss, annoying co workers, annoying clients, annoying pile of work, boring work space (think beige cubicle). One more piece of advice regarding work is when you leave or clock out or whatever, don't talk shop or worry about work anymore. Leave it behind for the day and focus on the things you want to do, that in itself will bring happiness. I know too many people that "live their job" and I have not seen very many of them get ahead or promotions for it. The good thing about jumping ship from a bad work situation is you will have a fresh start and many times you will end up with a pay raise.

Anyway, I hope you figure it out. Suicide is not the answer and if you really think about it.... it's selfish. If you have a hard time you have to put effort into fixing it because nothing in life that's worth having or experiencing comes easy. The CEO of my last company shared a good piece of wisdom with me and that is, "there is no elevator to success, you have to take the stairs." The advice rings true about a lot of things in life and you have to consider that whatever is making you feel the way you do right now didn't happen over night. It probably took a long time to build up to realizing you weren't happy and it will take some effort and time on your part to dig out of the ditch.... but it's not impossible and a happy life is worth it.

11. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Thanks for the responses guys it has helped

I'm back at work and doing well there so trying to use that as a Base

I'm still finding it hard with regards to friends etc we have a lot of mutual friends and while the break up was mutual it's still so fresh I feel it would put people in awkward situations so I am spending a lot of time on my own

I'm trying to drink less and eat better too but that's still a bit hit and miss sometimes. Really need to focus on my graf I know I'm not living up to my potential and should really go for it before I'm definitely too old haha

Will try and use 12Oz more too

12. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Also hoping to take my son to an animecon in October as he loves anime

Ko SprueOne and theprotester like this.
  13. Dirty_habiT

Good on you. An idle mind is the devil's play thing. Bring your lysol spray to the animecon there will be a lot of sweaty neck beards there.

14. Decyferon

Decyferon Moderator Crew

Hahah sweaty neck beards

I've also decided that as of today I'm going to try and stop drinking

Dirty_habiT likes this.
  15. Dirty_habiT

If you were a heavy drinker you might consider trying to taper it off. Detox from alcohol is a real thing and can make people very very sick, like need to go to the hospital sick. If you weren't that heavy into it to where you felt like it was a physical dependency then you will probably have no issue just quitting.