Delicious or Distasteful Advertising.

ShortFuse

Ive always cruised the roadways, read magazines, perused newspapers, and took a couple of ganders of the business stickers alongside trucks. My observations sometimes frustrate me because some companies have the worst/greatest ads and company symbols. This thread is for those good and bad things were exposed to every day. Ive been wanting to see if this could be a thread to pop off. I come unprepared but lets see if I can work up a few examples to get this going....

A favorite of mine to see on the road. Knights Transportation. I love their logo. The representation of the name and also the blending into the letter is good.

3799100908_8b7212934c_o.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Agreed. Ive always loved their symbol. Even though its not a pick but this one quick ad of theirs has always been a good laugh.

On the other hand.... Sierra Mists first design was poppy and fun looking. Not the greatest but it really towers over the new sad, scarey, cheep horror movie look of the second and now current design.

SierraMistLogo.gif

american-sierra-mist-soda-12-can-pack-dated-16.11.09-reduced-to-5-to-clear-7118-p.gif

On the note of soda...I absolutely HATE Pepsi's new design for their Regular, diet, max. The little sphere of theirs was fine with out the fluctuation of the inner white line with thickness variation. I mean I get what theyre going for but it looks so lopsided and un-proportional. Maybe the curves themselves arent defined enough for me like the ones in the original....

Pepsi.gif

pepsi.jpg

Although the classic look is sexy...

pepsi_brochure.jpg

haha never really took it to thought. In the end I like Pepsi better but over all I dont drink soda. Cocacola did do it right the first time. Their logo has such a good structure to it. It doesnt "age" so to speak. No matter how old it gets it wont ever look dated. I think the 1973 Pepsi should have stuck but who knows why theyve changed it so much...in all reality it didnt seem there was a need to change it due to competition.

I know this is a given but c'mon...Has anyone else ever taken an abstract shape, tied it to a mythical God's name and gotten so far?

nike_swoosh.jpg

In June 1971, Davidson presented a number of design options to Knight and other BRS executives, and they ultimately selected the mark now known globally as the Swoosh. Davidson submitted a bill for $35 for her work. (In 1983, Knight gave Davidson a gold Swoosh ring and an envelope filled with Nike stock to express his gratitude.)

Typography based logos:

edselectric-thumb.png

Fuck Yes^^

That is very nice. It reminded me of a logo I use to hate instead of liking in my old area. Ive been trying to dig it up. It actually was the one that made me want to start this thread. It was a plumbing company that had two "P"s and the way they did their symbol with the two letter Ps back to back...it looked like a blue penis diagram posted on their truck. Hilarious it might have been but poor choice in advert.

• 2 weeks later...

Word. The Sinkit is by far my favorite out of the couple. The Egg and spoon and the Food Writers are two nice ones but I think the "spoon" representation in both of them is already too much a part of the E and Ink tip. I guess Im trying to say is that I wish there was a larger degree of separation between the imagery. I dunno what Im talking about ahhaha.

Vintage logos are dope. It reminds of this book I got years ago...

0811835898_large.jpg

Oh and on another note from a post of mine further up. I can no longer be aggravated when I see Sierra Mist, they changed their design :-D Its not the most extravagant but its definitely an improvement.

image_sierramist_newlookposter1.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Was hoping for more to come of this thread but Im glad to see it got brought to the top again. Btw Abusei I cant see your post.

This is my works Valentines Day advertisement. I was baffled at the picture. It was titled "Romance her at our..." Yet what is going on in the photo? I see no love or romance. All I could think of is "Anybody want a peanut?"

catvy.jpg