DEFTONES

seeking

im surprised no ones made a thread about this... anyone else get the CD? ive liked everything they've done before, but this is some other shit. ive listened to it pretty much nonstop topday...well, except when i listened to fudge tunnel for a while.

but yeah, anyone get it, and anyone have any thoughts on it?

seeks/third thread of the evening

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i went to watch quicksand play in 98. they put on an okay set, not bad, but nothing special, i expected more out of a band i loved so much on CD. The headlining band of the evening was the deftones. After the first song in the deftones set, tons of people walked out. i couldn't bear more than two songs. there was a decent sized group outside of the show, all conversing about how terrible the deftones were.

that was my only introduction to the deftones. never gave them a second chance, don't think i will

Guest ToYs

i hear ya seeking, im usually not into that kind of stuff, i prefer punk, but deftones got that meloncolly metal thing going on. great cd.

bug,

they are pretty notorious for being terrible live. if youve got some way to download stuff, id highly suggest it. get 'passanger'. it was the first song by them i ever heard. prior to that, i always thought they were 'nu metal'. not sure why. they arent though.

the more i get iinto very obscure hardcore stuff, the more i have a tendency to just shun anything 'major label' because i think it cant posibly be good. thats nonsense though. this album is good. i fucking love 'kittie'. i know ill get shit for bringing them up again, but whatever. their last album was good.

in any case, this album is good. theres alot of real mellow stuff, that still has an agressive sort of edge. it doesnt come across as cheezy, or whiny, like staind or something, its just good.

plus, their drummer is amazing.

two thumbs up.

i've actually liked them better live than on the recordings... never been that into the records (and haven't heard any of the new one) but i've ended up seeing them 3 times, and loved it every time...

and MAGNOMAR, you are the reason people hate metal kids... get away from my music...

death metal is for depressed social outcasts. who prefer to wear black all the time, dye their hair black, paint their nails black etc.

but then you have th eolder cunts who are plan and simple rough nuts. im talkin about the teenager fags though.

i ask you this, whats the music value out of someone screaming constantly, about killing and death and so forth. 'idiots music'

Deftones are the shit. That's like one of the few metal bands that I still listen to (after I got over my high school, angry phase). I haven't heard any of their new joint, so I'm not sure if I should buy it..........?.........

ive always liked the deftones, heard the new cd yesterday and was impressed, they still have the original sound and dont just fall right into the mainstream like you would have thought they would when bands of their style were getting big. I enjoy them live, they should be a little tighter for how long they've been playing and the venues that they play but it's still usually a good show.

Not to sound like 'I was into 'em before you', but I was into 'em before you.

The first time I heard the Deftones was in 1991 or 1992. I went to a show with a fellow writer who was good friends with Chino, the singer. The music they did then was similar, if not a little more ska-ish at times. Though very minimal in that regard. But they always had that edge to their music. And live... was way better than recorded. I saw them a good ten or so times back in those days before I moved away from Northern California. Having only a second hand demo-style cassette tape of their music to live on... I was destined to wear it out. Thankfully they got signed. The only song from their old days, that I remember, that they recorded for the first album was Engine no.9. Which to me, is a good song. I've seen 'em about four times since then and each time, unfortunately the seem to get worse at the live showing. The discs sound great, but live they were lacking. Except the drummer. Always amazing.

Anyway, haven't heard the new album yet, but I really dig the song I heard on the radio the other day from the new album. I should get off my ass and leave the house to buy it...

i was actually starting to question when in the hell deftones would get their own thread. regardless of what anyone says i fukin love the band. they are hands down my favorite of all time. i have to admit that i was a little dissapointed that the new album wasnt as "hard" as their previous ones. but after listening to it enough times im grown to love it. it wasnt what i was expecting, but its still a great album.

i honestly love the performances they put on live. the pits get crazy here in dallas. i dont think ive ever seen a bad show. maybe its cus im too busy screaming my head off singing along. but still... they are better than most acts ive seen. great fukin band. thanks for this thread seeking.

joker... i envy you. :eek:

Re: METAL KIDS ARE COOL

Originally posted by MAGNOMAR

First of all, metal kids " the one that i know" dont dress in all black n shit. thats goth or whatever. in fact, most of us are avid hip hop graff heads, we love metal because its a true test of raw skill, tallent, stamina and its pumped FULL of adrenalin! i myself am a drummer and play metal all the time and i tell you this it is NOT easy.

so quit judging and dissing what you dont know dick heads.

lets see you do it big stuff.

:zombie:

most real metal heads hate hiphop and graff

Originally posted by BigOatser

I hate ska

This young republican scumfuck that I work with tries playing Christian ska on the cd player sometimes. I have to pull radio rank on his ass and put and end to it...Makes me want to rub salt in my eyes.

PS Christian ska

the new cd is fucking ill. i got to see one of the small club shows they put on recently at the avalon in boston(only about 500 people max) it was fucking nuts. on minerva where chinos like "and the crowd goes willlllllllllddddddddddd" the crowd went fucking nuts. probly one of the best concerts ive seen in my life. the only other time i saw them was in a huge stadium which sucked, but if you ever get the chance go to one of their smaller concerts. id kill to see them again.

Re: fuck them

dude fuck the deftones listen to more DEATH METAL!!!

hear are some bands to help you fuckers

cannibal corpse, dying fetus, vader, deeds of flesh,

cryptopsy, devourment, macabre, impaled, and super joint ritual

look em up youl thank me. there sweet.

dying fetus is called Misery Index now. as for the deftones, i can get down with Adrenaline, but after that i never really cared for them much.

Re: METAL KIDS ARE COOL

First of all, metal kids " the one that i know" dont dress in all black n shit. thats goth or whatever. in fact, most of us are avid hip hop graff heads, we love metal because its a true test of raw skill, tallent, stamina and its pumped FULL of adrenalin! i myself am a drummer and play metal all the time and i tell you this it is NOT easy.

so quit judging and dissing what you dont know dick heads.

i play guitar in a metal band... i write, i'm fully in to hip hop, as are most of the other kids i know in the metal scene...

however the "fuck that band listen to *name drop*, *name drop*, *name drop*, and *name drop*", is some straight korn shirt wearin, white boy braids havin, 8th grade chump shit... you, sir, are a toy...