Deep Sea Creatures

IDrinkSprite

some facts to understand what amazing treasures of nature there can be found:

- 70% of our planets surface is covered by water...

- the average depth of the oceans is about 4000 meters (!)

- sunlight is going through down to 300 meters, beneath this border it's absolutely dark (only submersibles are able to get that deep...and there are very few of them at all...ridiculously few compared to the area)

- deep sea makes more than 50% of the habitat on earth

lizard_fish.jpg

prickly_shark.jpg

chimaera_pup.jpg

blob_fish.jpg

umbrella_mouth_gulper_eel.jpg

chimaera_fish.jpg

coffinfish.jpg

fangtooth.jpg

oreo_dory.jpg

rattail2.JPG

oarfish.jpg

78a1p891.jpg

peces1.jpg

l043.jpg

Bathysaurus1.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just reading about angler fish:

When a tiny male meets a female he bits into her flesh and literally fuses with her body. The two blood supplies also fuse together so that the male obtains nutrients and oxygen from the female. Without any need for most of his organ systems, such as eyes and digestive organs, the male's body degenerates into essentially a pair of sperm-producing testicles. Thus the female essentially becomes a hermaphrodite with up to six or more of these tiny male parasites attached to various parts of her body. Although functionally bisexual, the eggs and sperm come from genetically distinct parents, thus providing vital genetic variability through meiosis and genetic recombination. As a functional hermaphrodite she can have sex any time or place, without worrying about meeting a male in the dark abyss of the ocean.

Male angler fish are just parasites, what the hell...

wudep50.jpeg

gallery.humpbackangler.jpg

Originally posted by McPhoo@Jan 25 2005, 07:21 AM

guhh... I'm taking my open water dives in Thailand in May for my PADI certificate...and i really didn't need to see some of that shit.

That giant worm/leech thing with the rings of teeth is fucking gross.

haha..The first seven pics in this thread are actually fish that washed up on the beaches of Phuket,a thailand island...watch out :shook:

Guest fr8lover
Originally posted by IDrinkSprite+Jan 25 2005, 11:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IDrinkSprite - Jan 25 2005, 11:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-McPhoo@Jan 25 2005, 07:21 AM

guhh... I'm taking my open water dives in Thailand in May for my PADI certificate...and i really didn't need to see some of that shit.

That giant worm/leech thing with the rings of teeth is fucking gross.

haha..The first seven pics in this thread are actually fish that washed up on the beaches of Phuket,a thailand island...watch out :shook:

[/b]

no they arent.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/tsunami/creature.asp