DEEP FRIED TWINKIES & CANDY BARS.

DEE38

No fucken way. I think if I ever had one i'd contemplate suicide... it sounds so good but the calorie rate on that has got to be off the charts. Shit. Maybe i'll try one one day after I starve my self for a week. Is there anyone out there who has actually had one?

This is a crazy concept..

PUYALLUP, Wash. (Sept. 18) - Ever tasted a deep-fried Twinkie?

You can, if vendor Clint Mullen brings his high-calorie rendition of the notorious snack cake to a fairground near you.

First invented in a Brooklyn restaurant, the deep-fried Twinkie has become a runaway success for Mullen and his brother, Rocky Mullen, since they started selling it at country fairs in mid-August.

"We sold 26,000 Twinkies in 18 days," said Rocky, who used to run a mechanical rodeo bull rental business. "People drove for hours just to taste our Twinkie."

Preparing the new snack is quite simple. After removing the Twinkies from their plastic wrappers, they are chilled so they don't disintegrate when heated. Next, they are rolled in flour, dipped in a tempura batter and fried at 380 degrees Fahrenheit for 90 to 120 seconds.

The cooking process melts the vanilla-cream center, which infuses the yellow cake and gives it a souffle or pudding-like texture.

Finally, the treats are sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with either chocolate or berry sauce. The snack costs $3.

Many people buying the new fried concoction at the Mullens' snack stand at the Puyallup Fair, 30 miles south of Seattle, swear the hot oil transforms the cream-filled cake into a better-tasting snack.

"It's been years since I've had a Twinkie because they gross me out, but this is good. Real good," customer Sue Holz said.

But another customer wasn't sold on the concept.

"It still has that unmistakable lard aftertaste," Mike Wald said.

DEEP-FRIED CANDY BARS

If deep-fried Twinkies don't interest you, the Mullen brothers also sell deep-fried Snickers, 3 Musketeers and Milky Way candy bars at their stand.

Originally, the Mullens only sold the deep-fried chocolate-covered candies, but added Twinkies after being approached by Hostess, the baking brand owned by Kansas City, Missouri-based Interstate Bakeries Corp.

"We are very excited about it," said Mike Redd, vice president of cake marketing at Interstate Bakeries.

"Twinkies are an American icon and they have a life of their own," Redd said, adding that the deep-fried Twinkie concept was being marketed to various state fairs.

Earlier this year, Hostess put Clint Mullen in touch with British chef Christopher Sell, who invented the deep-fried confection at his fish-and-chips restaurant in Brooklyn.

After a few tips, the Mullens started selling the deep-fried Twinkies this summer. Soon, business was so brisk they had to call in nearly a dozen family members to help with the unwrapping and frying.

The brothers said they sold about 10 deep-fried Twinkies for every deep-fried candy bar.

Clint Mullen said he has considered getting additional stands and traveling to larger fairs around the United States.

"People are rediscovering the Twinkie," said his brother Rocky, surrounded by stacks of white Hostess Twinkie boxes.

As customer Teena Nelson tried a chocolate-covered, deep-fried Twinkie, she said, "It's really good. ... We're not thinking about calories today."

So what is the calorie count for a deep-fried Twinkie?

Rocky said he thought a calculation he saw on the Internet might be accurate: 150 calories for the Twinkie and 275 for the batter and oil. Total damage: 425 calories, about the same as a slice of apple pie a la mode.

Asked if there have been any concerns from health-conscious customers, he said, "People at fairs don't tend to eat food that's good for them."

The Twinkie was first developed by Jimmy Dewar, manager of a bakery near Chicago, in 1930. A billboard in St. Louis advertising "Twinkle Toe Shoes" sparked the product's name.

Originally the cakes were filled with a creamy banana center, but during World War Two, a banana shortage forced Hostess to change to the vanilla cream still used today.

09/18/02 09:25 ET

Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think my low metabolism and bad liver along with a broken heart tried to put back together with wheatepaste and bad lungs will definately not tolerate such impurity of a deep fried twinkie... thats an instant killer for me.... i can already feel it..

peoiple will eat anything...

but if you think about it, its not all that new of a concept..

fried dough is just that, sprinkled with sugar

cruellers are deepfried donuts...so good!!!

and beignets...they are the best

fruit dipped in batter and fried...

banana and apple beignets are the shit

i'd fuck up a deepfried 3 musketeers...i bet that shits pretty good

i don't like twinkies at all though...they can disintegrate for all i care

and oh yeah, you only live once dee

maybe that twinkie is just whats needed to mend a broken heart?!

panda save a hoe to the rescue....

hmm, i am only about fifteen hours away from puyallup by way of a 97 nissan maxima SE...

of course i dont have a nissan maxima so lets say 20-24 hours... LOL

whats this broken heart shit about? tell me your side, so i can continue to think you can do no wrong..... and begin to hate on the other guy...

much internet love and deep fried hostess cupcakes.

edit: fuck twinkies.

second edit:

Batter Phried

:: sigh :: Are... wouldent that be great if a twinkie could heal broken hearts, lol. the thing that gives your heartattacks is also a heart mender.

shit now that we're talking about broken hearts, im turning this twinkie thread into a post about hearts.

ha ha. excuse me while i kiss the sky and vent!

my heart is anything but broken right now. well sort of. for the first time in my life, im experiencing "experience" if that makes sense. shit, im learning that just because i've been in a relationship for years, doesnt mean i've experienced anything. sure, you hug, you kiss, you hold hands, you have sex. im learning those can be done so emotionlessly. it's like alot of people go to school, but not everyone learns.

that brings me to him.

him. the innocents and me the so called experienced. i thought the two coulden't come together because of each of their fears. the innocent afraid of being unexperienced and unfullfilling in a relationship, the experienced afraid of her unpure soul taking away the purity of the innocent. then i came to the realization, shit.. im not even experienced. besides the physical, i think we're both relationship virgins with things to live and learn off eachother............ ironic.

all i want is to make him happy.. all i am is a girl in front of him asking to be let into his heart... because i've let him in mines no matter how shut or concreated it was........... this motherfucker opened it beyond my will, just by existing into my world.

fuck.

fuck.

fuck.

fuck.

im so happy its scary. confusion never felt so good.... romantic suicide sounds so delicious right now. im going insane.. is this what it's supposed to feel like? if so, lets light an inscent and drink a forty and dance to "when your gone" by the cranberries.

:: sigh ::

i wonder if people in third world countries experience heartache like this... they seem so happy finding their significant others in the first shot, and making lots of babies, and they seem happy. fuck me for being born in heartbreak u.s.a.

some woman went on a twinkie diet, she'd eat like one for every meal or whatever, and she lost mad weight. the thing is, it's calorie intake, she was only eating about 900 calories a day, compared to the 1500-2000 calories that are in a normal diet. so a deep fried twinkie is probably about 800 or 900 calories. if you ate one a day, you'd probably survive even healthier than you would on the 3000 calorie complex carb diet that your body would turn into fat that would go unburned reguardless. make sense? if you're going to eat one, i'd take dee's advice and not eat the day before or somethin.

i can justify anything.

mprs

Originally posted by T.T Boy

i work at a place where i hearshit ike this all trhe time.apparently this thing is widley accepted in scotland. but its only mars bars. ahh the scottish when will they learn...

haha, so fucken true......deep fried mars bars......they aint that nice

Originally posted by towUP

some woman went on a twinkie diet, she'd eat like one for every meal or whatever, and she lost mad weight. the thing is, it's calorie intake, she was only eating about 900 calories a day, compared to the 1500-2000 calories that are in a normal diet. so a deep fried twinkie is probably about 800 or 900 calories. if you ate one a day, you'd probably survive even healthier than you would on the 3000 calorie complex carb diet that your body would turn into fat that would go unburned reguardless. make sense? if you're going to eat one, i'd take dee's advice and not eat the day before or somethin.

i can justify anything.

mprs

or eat one then make yourself vomit.

or eat one then have a laxative sandwhich. whatever works.

Archived