1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

DC Comics

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Vanity, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Vanity

Vanity 12oz Veteran Member

DC Comics

Discussion started by Vanity - Dec 11, 2004

ok... so i just read all my DC comics... not a huge collection.. but it's a good hodge podge.. about 200 or so, primarly modern age stuff. here is my assesment. oh yeah, and i don't own any vertigo comics.. so they are not included.

these are the good comics/ characters and why.

Green lantern: it's kind of a cool superpower that he has to stay concious of what he's trying to do in order to do it. also, props to DC for having Hal Jordan go nuts after his home town gets blown up, and he goes and kills all the other green lanterns, taking their rings (the source of their power), taking on the powers that be, and then burning out.

green arrow: jsut because he's not PC at all... he's prejudice and they always clown on his hoe (black canary).

lobo: the art is awesome and amongst all the fart jokes there is a lot of subtle, intelligent, humor

dark knight returns: incredible. It's batman 30 years in the future, an old, washed up, bitter man that takes the bad guys, the goverment and superman

watchmen: even more incredible. takes place at the height of the cold war. none of the heroes actually have super powers.. it documents superheroes form their peak in the 40s to their eventual outlawing in the 70s. they rape each other, kill pregnant women, go to jail, fuck. the dopest character is Rorschach, who, after the outlawing, leaves bodies on the door of police stations saying that he'll never quit, and another with powers so god like, he must be convinced whether humanity is worth saving.

the rest are pretty mediocre

Vanity - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. fermentor666

fermentor666 12oz Veteran Member

fermentor666 - Replied Dec 11, 2004

Do you count DC's Vertigo line? Cause that has some golden stuff on it.

The Sandman, which I've read twice now, all 11 volumes. Probably the best comic ever.

Transmetropolitan which I've read all the trades 3 or 4 times. Probably the second best comic ever.

Preacher, which I just started reading, I bought the third trade today. Sick stuff.

Y the Last Man, which I collect every month.

The Losers which is good dirty fun.

Also DC's new line, I forgot what it's called, has a good monthly out called Hard Time.

Aside from Marvel, I probably buy Vertigo more than anything else. Only thing I hate about it is how the ads are spaced out in the exact same order in every issue.

fermentor666 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. fermentor666

Oh wait I just saw you said you don't own any Vertigo. Fuck.

4. gigan

gigan 12oz Junior Member

gigan - Replied Dec 11, 2004

yep. and don't forget about hellblazer.

gigan - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  5. fermentor666

I haven't read that yet, I'll probably start after I finish the Preacher series.

Vanity, why the hell don't you buy Vertigo books?

6. Verbal Kint

Verbal Kint 12oz Member

Verbal Kint - Replied Dec 11, 2004

watchmen is proly one of my fave mini series
    as for Vertigo I was into shade the changing man

Verbal Kint - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  7. JesusMachine

JesusMachine 12oz Elite Member

JesusMachine - Replied Dec 11, 2004

Batman Year One

JesusMachine - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. Vanity

Vanity 12oz Veteran Member

Vanity - Replied Dec 11, 2004

i haven't really bought many new comics since 93 or 94... and at that point i was mainly going for the image titles... the vibe from vertigo just didn't appeal to me at the time.

Vanity - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  9. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Weapon X - Replied Dec 12, 2004

I'm the same way, but I read some vertigo because it was heavily hyped up, and my brother had some copies.

With DC, I had some older, vaguer things. But I did re-read Batman: Death In the Family recently. I love how Joker brutally beats Robin with a crowbar, then kills him and his mom.

Does anyone remember Cerebrus, or something like that? No, not that cartoony dog type character from someone else.

I almost blinded my brother once by whipping a Martian Manhunter figure at his eye. It hit, but he recovered.

I don't know, Batman is DC's flagship, in my opinion. Superman doesn't hold a candle, even though he's pretty cool.

I need to read my some Watchmen.

Weapon X - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  10. High Priest

High Priest 12oz Elite Member

High Priest - Replied Dec 12, 2004

I have been told alot about this series, and ive been meaning to (but have yet to get the chance) pick up the anthology - hopefully i'll be able to over the course of the holiday's. From what i have seen, the illustration's alone are reason enough to pick it up - remind's me alot of Frank Miller / Mike Mignola.. tho i know the writing is supposed to be much much better.

Vanity - The Dark Night Return's was really good, i loved the rendering esp. the poses miller puts him i.e. when the reader first see's him in costume - or the X over his face as the bat crashes through the window.... good stuff.

Im done.

High Priest - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  11. InnerCityRebel

InnerCityRebel 12oz Veteran Member

InnerCityRebel - Replied Dec 12, 2004

never really got into DC comics.I read Marvel and Image.. :huh2:

InnerCityRebel - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  12. LadyNapua

LadyNapua 12oz Senior Member

LadyNapua - Replied Dec 12, 2004

Check out Teenagers From Mars...this is a good series. By Rick Spears and Rob G. They did the Dog Catcher Series in the back of Batman too.

LadyNapua - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages: