Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

David Axelrod

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Weapon X, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Alright, I'm an idiot. This dude was telling me about David Axelrod last year, and I told him that I'd never heard of him. He went on to show me a bunch of vinyls of his that he owned. A couple were even first pressings that he had bought at garage sales or something. So I'm listening to him right now, and he's pretty good. Oh yeah, he's heavily sampled in hip hop, I hear.

so it turns out that after that day, I hear his name everywhere.

2. dahighlifdhl

dahighlifdhl Senior Member

i just popped its cherry

3. optimodub

optimodub Junior Member

oh yea, david axelrod is good stuff, i have his Songs Of Experience album, and an anthology...DJ Shadow samples him on Midnight In A Perfect World, plus Shadow did a song with him on the Axelrod album which just came out last year...he's also sampled on Quasimoto's album...i have a mate who has all his stuff, and all the Electric Prunes stuff he produced, and he's not into hip-hop at all, but when he played me some i was recognising all the samples and breaks, yep good stuff indeed
    Electric Prunes : Release Of An Oath and David Axelrod : Songs Of Experience are the best i've heard, but the double vinyl anthology has the good stuff off those two, plus the Cannonball Adderley and Lou Rawls stuff he produced too, seriously recommended

4. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

thanks, b. that's the kind of info I'm looking for. yeah, the first pressings of his this dj had are worth a few hundred dollars, he says.

5. socrates

socrates Guest

That guy said popped it's cherry

6. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

David Axelrod, David Axelrod (Mo' Wax)

As an arranger, producer and songwriter, Axelrod played an innovative role in R&B and jazz in the '60s and '70s. An eccentric whose musical signature included monstrous blazing drum breaks, huge orchestral sweeps, pounding polyrhythms, dissonant horn surges and wondrously melodic bass lines, his recent rediscovery (thanks to the sampling of his work by DJ Shadow, Dr. Dre, Lauryn Hill, A Tribe Called Quest and Mos Def) has led to Axelrod's first proper release. Axelrod defines "renaissance": he signed Ornette Coleman, produced David (Man From U.N.C.L.E.) McCallum's albums in the '60s and worked with Cannonball Adderley, Harold Land and hundreds of others as staff producer at Capitol Records. His return is filled with freaky future breaks from legendary drummer Earl Palmer, vibrant touches of keyboards from Joe Sample, the genius of bassist Carole Kaye (who played bass on just about every important Beach Boys track) and guest vocals from the immortal Lou Rawls.

7. Hank Parker

Hank Parker Senior Member

David Axelord like woah! I haven't had my fingers dusty in a while :eek:

8. NOUM

NOUM Elite Member

Never heard of the guy..how bout a Song title?..

9. ETHREADZNY

ETHREADZNY Elite Member

^ if you go to mo' wax website they have a spotlight for him. But if not, checkout Little Children with ras kass. or season of the witch with lou rawls.

10. NOUM

NOUM Elite Member

11. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

the man is fresh

12. Al Green

Al Green Veteran Member

once you listen to axelrod it all makes sense.

theres a josh martinez track on
    buck up princess that has a david axelrod sample.

his arrangements are off the coathanger.

-bobbylon.

13. chicken bone

chicken bone Guest

"Little Children" is a very good song... Seriously blew me away the first time I heard it... I was listening to the record a week or two as a matter of fact. The album he did with Mo' Wax was pretty dope, it came out about a year ago I think. Good listenings.

14. Rodney Trotter

Rodney Trotter Senior Member

To be honest, I bought a couple of Axlerod LP's - the Anthology and that thing on Mo Wax, but I haven't been able to get into him yet. I guess they're just not quite my thing.

But if you like Axlerod, you might want to go and check out some Billy Cobham or some Santana for that acid/funk/jazz ish. Santana's Caravanserai LP is a good place to start.

http://www.billycobham.com/

http://www.santana.com/

15. BIGBLUE

BIGBLUE Senior Member

David Axelrod is far better than most when it comes to music for sampling.. you can find ten twenty breaks in one cut . Of course for listening as well . That song he did with Ras Kass is hot too .