David Axelrod

Weapon X

Alright, I'm an idiot. This dude was telling me about David Axelrod last year, and I told him that I'd never heard of him. He went on to show me a bunch of vinyls of his that he owned. A couple were even first pressings that he had bought at garage sales or something. So I'm listening to him right now, and he's pretty good. Oh yeah, he's heavily sampled in hip hop, I hear.

so it turns out that after that day, I hear his name everywhere.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

oh yea, david axelrod is good stuff, i have his Songs Of Experience album, and an anthology...DJ Shadow samples him on Midnight In A Perfect World, plus Shadow did a song with him on the Axelrod album which just came out last year...he's also sampled on Quasimoto's album...i have a mate who has all his stuff, and all the Electric Prunes stuff he produced, and he's not into hip-hop at all, but when he played me some i was recognising all the samples and breaks, yep good stuff indeed

Electric Prunes : Release Of An Oath and David Axelrod : Songs Of Experience are the best i've heard, but the double vinyl anthology has the good stuff off those two, plus the Cannonball Adderley and Lou Rawls stuff he produced too, seriously recommended

• 9 months later...

David Axelrod, David Axelrod (Mo' Wax)

As an arranger, producer and songwriter, Axelrod played an innovative role in R&B and jazz in the '60s and '70s. An eccentric whose musical signature included monstrous blazing drum breaks, huge orchestral sweeps, pounding polyrhythms, dissonant horn surges and wondrously melodic bass lines, his recent rediscovery (thanks to the sampling of his work by DJ Shadow, Dr. Dre, Lauryn Hill, A Tribe Called Quest and Mos Def) has led to Axelrod's first proper release. Axelrod defines "renaissance": he signed Ornette Coleman, produced David (Man From U.N.C.L.E.) McCallum's albums in the '60s and worked with Cannonball Adderley, Harold Land and hundreds of others as staff producer at Capitol Records. His return is filled with freaky future breaks from legendary drummer Earl Palmer, vibrant touches of keyboards from Joe Sample, the genius of bassist Carole Kaye (who played bass on just about every important Beach Boys track) and guest vocals from the immortal Lou Rawls.

Guest chicken bone
Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

^ if you go to mo' wax website they have a spotlight for him. But if not, checkout Little Children with ras kass. or season of the witch with lou rawls.

"Little Children" is a very good song... Seriously blew me away the first time I heard it... I was listening to the record a week or two as a matter of fact. The album he did with Mo' Wax was pretty dope, it came out about a year ago I think. Good listenings.

To be honest, I bought a couple of Axlerod LP's - the Anthology and that thing on Mo Wax, but I haven't been able to get into him yet. I guess they're just not quite my thing.

But if you like Axlerod, you might want to go and check out some Billy Cobham or some Santana for that acid/funk/jazz ish. Santana's Caravanserai LP is a good place to start.

http://www.billycobham.com/

http://www.santana.com/

Archived