Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Dave Brubeck OWNS you!

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Smart, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Dave Brubeck OWNS you all!

If any of you think you are musicians... I just watched an 83 year old man son you all...

2. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

Re: Dave Brubeck OWNS you all!

what exactly did he do? cuz my friend went to a one man band and he played i think 5 instruments, that was dope

3. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

i have been looking at buying some dave brubeck records, dude kicks ass...

4. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Re: Re: Dave Brubeck OWNS you all!

Well, mostly he did Dave Brubeck songs, though there was an awesome rendition of "Someday My Prince Will COme"...

5. kaesthebluntedwonder

kaesthebluntedwonder Elite Member

I have some friends who played with him one time. Me, I've played with a drummer who played with Monk in the late 60's/early 70's. Talk about being sonned.

6. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

well, anyone who knows anyone knows that the drums are the foundation, and this guy Randy Jones fuckin SMOKED... 5 drums, 5 cymbals, ALL dynamis... the bass player, who we call 'the good' Michael Moore was fucking all over it, arps and furios scalar stuff, never even an iota of misintonation, I was stupified!

Kaes, seriously, what's it been like 5 years I'm sayin' we need to get something happening? Check your email, I'm gonna send you an mp3 here in a sec.

7. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

yes, that's a shot at bassists ;)

8. kaesthebluntedwonder

Michael Moore? Holy crap, he's a pretty damn good player, to say the least. I've been meaning to get a lesson with him for a while.

9. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

yeah you have! It MUST be done, smokin'

(oh, that's not to sound ironic, people here talk like that, it means, g'wann witcha baad seff!)

10. kaesthebluntedwonder

I heard he's one of the nicest, coolest and humblest cats out there. Like if I got a lesson with him, and were to see him at a club he'd be like, hey lemme buy you a drink.

11. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

not a musician but ill take 5

12. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

word, he was probably the lowest key of them all, he stood to the back kinda behind/between the piano and drums, he'd bust out with the goods and then he'd just look at Dave or the drummer and kinda get a check and play on... we debated about wether it was the bass or the drums that actually ruled the show, in the end I went with the drums and Eric said it was all about the soloist, Bobby Militello... he played sax and flute, both fabulously and he treated the melodies very nicely, his solos were super clean and well structured but... I can't give it to the soloist, that's my job... and then Dave just ruled it all from underneath... I was also awed by that, I would love to hook up with a super-arranger like that...

The show was crazy, apparently Dave had laryngitis and then after intermission he got the chills so he played most of the second set wearing a big beige trench coat and a super huge red muffler... he stripped it all of for Take 5 (of course) but the drum solo is what actually rules that song so... it was just good to see him feeling better, said a few words at the end, it was amazing.

13. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

Oh, but not to hate on the soloist... they played Take 10 and during his solo he quoted most of the melody to Four by Miles so, that was fresh...

14. kaesthebluntedwonder

I feel it's really about the group sound...the group is one living organism. If you were affected by the performance in any way, which it seems you were, they were all doin' their job. That's what I make of it at least.

15. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

no, totalil, espescially in a quartet setting but, you know... gotta critique... I mean, I can't play it so at least I can hate on it... and I can't hate on the whole so I am forced to break it down just to make my penis feel a little bigger...

(ok, 'totalil' was a typo for totally but is almost feels like a real word so I'm gonna leave it)