Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Dark side of the moon/Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by ZENYTH.ASP, Aug 6, 2001.

1. ZENYTH.ASP

ZENYTH.ASP Senior Member

Here is a post where you can discuss your opinions on if Pink Floyd's "dark side of the moon" was musically arranged around the movie "the wizard of oz".
    If you watch the wizard of oz while listening to dark side of the moon, the music matches different scenes......and the lyrics mention things that are going on during the movie. You have to cue it up correctly or it won't work. Some people say it's all bullshit,....but I experienced it and saw alot of simularities. I am sure this would be way more intense if you were under the influence, but I did it straight and still got goosbumps during certain parts.

Pink Flyod denies it. I guess I would too.

2. tow up from tha flow up !

tow up from tha flow up ! Member

I just wanna know who the hell figured out that it was all synchronzied.. That shit doesn't just happen by accident, does it?

3. ZENYTH.ASP

ZENYTH.ASP Senior Member

Pink Floyd did it on purpose. They arrange the music on that record to match the movie. I suppose word got around threw the grapvine. Till this day Pink Floyd totally denies it. I would too...just to keep the urban legend alive.

4. SPLINTER

SPLINTER Guest

if any of you have the original Wizard of Oz or any version before the suicide was discovered, tell me what you hear when the dude kills himself. thats some wierd shit ive scene the scen on tv and i asked my self WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU KILL YOURSELF during such a wonderful movie?

------------------
    "Babylon throne gone down" -Rastaman

5. ZENYTH.ASP

ZENYTH.ASP Senior Member

Claim:   A lovelorn actor portraying one of the munchkins hanged himself on the set during the filming of The Wizard of Oz, and his death was captured on-camera and used in the final print.

Synopsis:   The so-called "munchkin suicide" scene occurs at the very end of the Tin Woodsman sequence, as Dorothy, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Woodsman head down the road on their way to the Emerald City. This sequence begins with Dorothy and the Scarecrow trying to pick fruit from the talking apple trees, encompasses their discovery of the rusted tin man and their encounter with the Wicked Witch of the West (who tries to set the Scarecrow on fire), and ends with the trio heading off to Oz in search of the Wizard. To give the indoor set used in this sequence a more "outdoors" feel, several birds of various sizes were borrowed from the Los Angeles Zoo and allowed to roam the set. (A peacock, for example, can be seen wandering around just outside the Tin Woodsman's shack while Dorothy and the Scarecrow attempt to revive him with oil.) At the very end of this sequence, as the three main characters move down the road and away from the camera, one of the larger birds (often said to be an emu, but more probably a crane) standing at the back of the set moves around and spreads its wings. No munchkin, no hanging -- just a big bird.

Origins:   The unusual movement in the background of the scene described above was noticed years ago, and it was often attributed to a stagehand's accidentally being caught on the set after the cameras started rolling (or, more spectacularly, a stagehand's falling out of a prop tree into the scene). With the advent of home video, viewing audiences were able to rewind and replay the scene in question, view it in slow-motion, and look at individual frames in the sequence (all on screens smaller and less distinct than those of theaters), and imaginations ran wild. The change in focus of the rumor from a hapless stagehand to a suicidal munchkin (driven to despair over his unrequited love for a female munchkin) seems to have coincided with the heavy promotion and special video re-release of The Wizard of Oz in celebration of its 50th anniversary in 1989: someone made up the story of a diminutive actor who, suffering the pangs of unrequited love for a female "little person," decided to end it all right there on the set, and soon everyone was eager to share this special little film "secret" with others. Since (grossly exaggerated) tales of munchkin lechery and drunken misbehavior on the "Oz" set had been circulating for years (primarily spread by Judy Garland herself in television talk show appearances), the wild suicide story had some seeming background plausibility to it. (Other versions of the rumor combined elements from both explanations, such as the claim that the strange figure was actually a stagehand hanging himself.)

The logistics of this alleged hanging defy all credulity. First of all, the forest scenes in The Wizard of Oz were filmed before the Munchkinland scenes, and thus none of the munchkin actors would have been present. And whether one believes that the figure on the film is a munchkin or a stagehand, it is simply impossible that a human being could have fallen onto a set actively being used for filming, and yet none of the dozens of people present -- actors, directors, cameramen, sound technicians, light operators -- failed to notice or react to the occurrence. (The tragic incident would also had to have been overlooked by all the directors, editors, film cutters, musicians, and others who worked on the film in post-production as well.) That anyone could believe a scene featuring a real suicide would have been left intact in a classic film for over fifty years is simply incredible.
    http://www.snopes2.com/movies/films/films.htm

6. ZENYTH.ASP

ZENYTH.ASP Senior Member

below is a list of occurances that happen... print it out and follow along if you do it.
    http://www.ameritech.net/users/pinkfloyd/wiz.html
    In case you havn't already heard about the strange cosmic synchronization that occurs when you play Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" in place of the original "Wizard of Oz" movie soundtrack, here's the rundown. Start your Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" CD at the precise moment the MGM lion finishes it's third and final roar and you will find some very interesting coincidences (or are they?) you decide.

You'll know you've got it right when the first chord of "Breathe" comes in at the same time "Produced by Mervyn LeRoy" is displayed on the screen.

Dorothy is teetering on the fence to the pig bin when the band is singing "balanced on the biggest wave" from the song "Breathe".

Dorothy falls into the pig bin just as the you hear the words "race towards an early grave" and the music changes at the same time.

Dorothy holds a little chick up to here face in a caring manner as you hear the band sing the words "Don't be afraid to care" from the song "Breathe"

In the beginning of the movie during the song "Breathe", the band sings "smiles you'll laugh" and you see the Lion and the Tinman in human form laughing "and tears you'll cry" shows the Scarecrow crying.

When you hear the words "when at last the work is done" from the song "Breathe", Scarecrow in human form smacks his hand with a hammer and stops working.

Mrs. Gulch AKA Wicked witch of the west appears riding here bike at the same moment you here the alarm clock bells going off at the beginning of the song "Time".

When the band sings "kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town" from the song "Time", Toto hops out of Mrs. Gultches basket and runs back to the farm.

When the band sings "waiting for someone or something to show you the way" from the song "Time", Dorothy is in her room wondering what she should do when Toto comes hopping through the window to show her the way.

When you hear the words "ticking away the moments that make up a dull day" from the song "Time", Dorothys uncle puts his hand up to his head and rolls his eyes just before he kicks back in his chair after arguing with Mrs. Gultch.

When Dorothy leaves the fortune teller to return to the farm, the lyrical content "home, home again" from the song "Breathe" is playing.

A triangle can be seen hanging from a tree and the way the fence rails run look an awful lot like the cover of "Dark Side of the Moon".

When you hear the words "Smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry", the Lion and the Tin Man are smiling and the Scarecrow is crying.

Auntie Em appears and starts talking at the same moment you hear the womans voice talking in the song "On the Run".

Toto pops his head up in a window at the same time that the band sings "Waiting for someone or something to show you the way" from the song "Time".

When you hear the words "racing around, to come up behind you again" from the song "Time", professor marvel appears at Dorothy's back.

During the guitar solo in the song "Time", You see the words "Past Present and Future" on the sign of Professor Marvel.

Glinda, the good witch of the North, appears in her bubble as the band is singing "don't give me that do goody good bullshit" from the song "Money"

In the song "Us and Them" right when the word "Black" is said, they show the wicked witch and when the word "Blue"is said, they show Dorothy in her blue dress.

The Good witch of the north confronts the wicked witch of the west as the band sings "and who knows which is which" (or would that be "witch is witch"?) from the song "Us and Them".

When the Mayor of munchkin land is talking to Dorothy just before she takes off down the yellow brick road, his lips are moving as you hear the dialogue "I don't know, I was really drunk at the time" and it appears to be what he is saying to her.

The song "Brain Damage" begins at about the same time the scarecrow starts singing "If I Only Had a Brain".

After the scarecrow is let off his post and is stumbling around trying to walk the band is singing "the lunatic is on the grass" from the song "Brain Damage".

When the Munchkins are dancing after Dorothy arrives in Oz, the scene appears to be perfectly choreographed with the song "Us and Them"

When the Lollipop men hand Dorothy the lollipop , the song "us and them is playing and it's right at the beginning when they say "US......."AND THEM". Us is said when the munchkins hand it to her , "and them" is said when she takes it .

When Dorothy opens the door to the house after landing in Oz, the move switches from black and white to rich color at the same moment that you here the synchronized cash register sounds at the beginning of the song "Money".

The coolest part of the whole ordeal has to be the tornado scene, it's very intense (even if you havn't smoked a bong in years) honest, "The Great Gig in the Sky" is the perfect song to the perfect scene. They bind together seamlessly. As glass and debre are flying and Dorothy is being blown around, the vocal screams are in perfect synchronization with the movie. You have to check this out.

To view the movie/song synch "Great Gig in the Sky" in streaming Real Media, Click on the tornado picture to the right. You'll need Real Player, if you don't have it, you can download it from from the movie/song synch page also Just click on the tornado picture to the right. Once there, the movie should start playing in about 5 seconds after you click on the link since it is streamed.

About three and a half minutes into the song "The Great Gig in the Sky", you hear a womans voice say "I never said I was frightened of Dorothy". I've had alot of people tell me that this is what the voice is saying however, I have confirmation from a book about Pink Floyd that states that the actual dialog is "I never said I was frightened of dying, anytime will do". Here is the sound clip from the album in MP3 format of the voice. Frightened of Dorothy.

You will need an MP3 player to listen to this clip. If you don't have one, you can find one on my Worlds Greatest Bands/Midi's/MP3's page.

Right as they are showing the twister for the second time and it's well on it's way, you hear a voice in the background saying "I am not frightened of dying, anytime will do, why should I be frightened of dying, there's no reason for it, we've all got to go sometime"

At the same time you hear the words "all that you taste" from the song "Eclipse", Scarecrow squirts the oil can into the corners of Tinmans mouth.

This thing hangs in there right up to the very end when you hear an insistent heartbeat at the end of the album and Dorothy has her head against the Tin Man's chest listening for a heartbeat.

I've had alot of people write and tell me that there are still more coincidences the second and third time around. I've watched this thing all the way through with the CD looped about a dozen times and frankly, I just don't see it. First of all, it would be hard enough just to do it once and second of all, if that was the case, wouldn't you be able to start the original soundtrack over again at the same place you'd start the "Dark Side of the Moon" CD over and have that sync up with the movie again also? Well, anyway, these are the only things I found during the second and third playing. *During the song "Breathe", you hear the words "run rabbit run" just as the wicked witch takes off on her broom from a rooftop in the forest. *During "Breathe" , you hear the words "home, home again, I like to be here when I can" and Dorothy is indeed home again. *Professor Marvel pops his head up in the window at the end and say's something just as you hear the words "thought I'd something more to say" from the song "Breathe". Well, thats it for now, look for more in the future.

Maybe this is all just one big coincidence and maybe it's not. All I can tell you is that I tried it and found it to be most interesting. At some points it's almost eerie how the two interacted with each other and at other times it's was questionable. None the less, it was a great experience and I'm sure I'll do it again soon. What are you waiting for? You should be about half way to Blockbuster by now. (Who, by the way, didn't have a single copy of the "Wizard of Oz" to be found and neither did any of the other video stores in the area when news of this first came out).

[This message has been edited by ZENYTH.ASP (edited 08-06-2001).]

7. BlUR!!

BlUR!! Guest

yeah, u have 2 put play the pink flyod cd at a certain time in the begining. on the second roar of the lion. its a trip whan your on acid!!!!!!!!!

8. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

that shit is so fucking cool done it at least 5 times...stuff that makes you want to jump and scream OH SHIT DID YOU SEE THAT...very very fun.