Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Damaged Jpegs...

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_Tesseract, Mar 10, 2002.

1. I just received a 1,5 MB email from a friend, all euro trains...
    Waited whole fucking 15 minutes to download the flicks,
    Opened photoshop to finally see some trains and what do i get??
    THIS:
    http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Hypercube/frontaldamage3.jpg'>
    And a photoshop message that said "This document maybe damaged( the file maybe truncated or incomplete)"

The weird part is that on the "open file" box i get a clear preview.
    [img]http://www.freephoto-i.net/users/Hypercube/example.jpg'>

It really doesnt make sense to me how can photoshop create a clear thumbnail out of a damaged file...
    Anybody knows anything about this? Do you think i can save the flicks somehow?
    Help a brother out....

2. Mr. Mang

Mr. Mang Elite Member

maybe it is just your photoshop? try opening it in MS-paint or Internet explorer...

3. No, i tried about a dozen different image programs...no good

4. beardo

beardo Guest

its my understanding that the thumbnail and the actual file are separate files. have you noticed that when you save something in photoshop it says 'saving thumbnail image'

ive had that happen to my files too. dont know what it is

5. Yeah, i've noticed that. Its still very weird though, the pics have just got into my system, never opened again, never saved...still photoshop generates a thumbnail and when i press open, it sais its damaged....thats wacky.
    I feel deceited...fucking photoshop can read the file it and it wont show it me!!! Thats what happens when machines take the lead i guess

6. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

i've come across this before.. its fucked.
    when you save a jpg in photoshop, it saves 2 versions of the same flik. one thumbnail, and the full size. there's an option in the PS preferences to save a thumbnail version if you want, so that was turned on, but something fucked happened during the saving process. that option is there for the purpose of file sizes.. if you've got that option unchecked, it won't save the thumbnail within the data, giving you a flik a few kb smaller. primarily used for web optimization purposes.

if you really know what you're doing, and you're on a mac, you can get a program called super res edit and get into the actual zeros and ones that make up the file and edit them. i'm not quite that advanced so it looks like youre fucked.
    you've maxed out my knowledge base.

7. haha, Thanx Bigpoppa, it seems that i wont view those trains after all...
    Just for the record, i havent saved the files throught phtshp, i just downloaded them and tried to open them, so my photoshop couldnt harm the files...i guess the flicks where fucked up before they even reached my mail box...or got damaged while uploaded...

8. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

i have no input other than i think damaged files are wicked,
    and don't fuck with resedit ever, unless you either know what
    you're doing, or you're willing to fuck your computer up.

9. NATO

NATO Guest

the same train as the thumbnail from location 12

[​IMG]

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

you're joking right?

editing the bianary code of a photoshop doc...?
    Why not just start counting the stars in the sky.

but resedit is great for somethings...
    I used to edit the dialog in the original Kings Quest game
    so that people would swear and refer to eachother as 'buttface'.

11. NATO

Whats location 12? a site i guess...do you have the complete url? Do you know who runs it?... Get back at me

12. OK, so i tried a lot of semihacking stuff i found on the net, downloaded a bunch of stupid programs...still no luck...fuck that shit

13. NATO

NATO Guest

Re: NATO

yeah it a british graf site (updated daily)
    the url is www.graffiti.org/dj

14. After fucking around a bit i just realised what beardo and bigpoppa where talking about, The file came to me damaged but the thumbnail section was ok, so thats why my photoshop could read it but couldnt read the original flick....huh, i'm kinda slow i guess:idea:
    Thats good info however bigpoppa, i could use less kb's in my jpegs.
    If anyone is experiencing jpeg damage from digital cameras check this:
    http://www.clarity.net/~adam/recoverpix.html
    It wasnt good for my case but it may help some of you.