DALEK

remorseles

So he's out there making money off his work and I am not... Here is the latest that i pulled out of transword skate today.

img005.jpg[/img]

I have been seeing alot of his work over the past year. He has managed to achive some good sucess but i am not sure what to make of it though. He went from graff artist to now he's got his work with various companies. Is it a good thing or a bad thing. I think i just maybe jealous or some shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, you're jealous.

edit*

I don't know the man behind the space monkeys but has Dalek ever claimed to be an actual writer? I can see how the masses hate dude for making money off, I don't know, a culture where most people risk their lives (well, financially anyway-> fines, jail time, etc.) for recognition. And it would be an ideal world if people actually put in some heavy duty work before claiming "ultra-keep's it real" status. But has Dalek ever claimed that position? If he did, then that's a bit fucked up. Oh well. Nevertheless, dude makes money.

I guess Dalek is like the opposite of Neckface. Plus, there's a lot of people who use graffiti as uh, what's the word that people are abusing, oh, "inspiration". There's worse out there.

I had a Dalek shirt 4 years ago.

-J.

i could never hate on someone for making money.

As a real estate mogul I wouldn't hate on D Trump for using his knowledge about real estate to make money and call him a sell out.

Inventors Dont hate on Mr. A Bell for the Telephone.

It's all about a PRODUCT. If you could invent a Device that everyone in the world wanted to buy from you would you sell it?

Well, DALEK invented a space monkey that some people want to buy.

Originally posted by HECZONER@Mar 21 2006, 02:19 PM

As a real estate mogul I wouldn't hate on D Trump for using his knowledge about real estate to make money and call him a sell out.

It's all about a PRODUCT. If you could invent a Device that everyone in the world wanted to buy from you would you sell it?

I agree with you and every one else its just my preconcieved notion was that he had origins going back to graff i didnt mean to call him a writer thats just how i catagroized him as an artist. i am not hating on him its just after having had a skateboard since i was 5 and now being 23 and then flipping through a magazine and seeing his work and then seeing the shoe he has kind of made me wonder what the fuck i have alot of work that should be out there but its not and made me jealous thats why i posted it like that. merely venting thats all i guess.

Originally posted by princeofatlantis@Mar 20 2006, 10:03 AM

DALEK MAY CLAIM TO HAVE SOME GRAFFITI ASPECT BUT THINK OF ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE WHO HAVE GOT RICH OFF OF ONE CHARACTER WHETHER OR NOT IT HAD SHIT TO DO WITH GRAFFITI

HE SHOULD TEAM UP WITH THAT DUDE THAT MAKES THOSE MONKEY SHIRTS THAT SIXTH GRADE GIRLS WEAR

lets watch him go crayzee frog stylee on our asses.

I think alot of people concentrate more on the now instead of then. Were all so caught up in whats out on the markets now that we dont stop to remince on where individuals have come from. For example you see articles about DALEK and you see the here and now. I have an article on him and it mentions little to do with his past and more of where hes going and what hes doing. thats just waht i think. i know i have done that with a few artists.

yeah yeah, that character is played,

but think of it.

your average demographic for a skateboarder is between the age of 13-16 and male.

seeing those colors, that kind of cartoon, and the "history" of the creator as a graffiti artist, makes daleks shit highly marketable.

I dont know wher you come from by saying the average age for skatebaording is 13 -16 you got that all wrong, the average age range is any where fromlike 5 20's and i say that because of where i live there are at least 4 parks in the area and all of which have kids from 5-20 on a daily basis. now adys kids start skating younger. I do agree with you though about the marketable shit for a younger generation. but if you take a real good look at the market he is hitting you got skate shops that feature graff stuff like mags paint caps markers all of that stuff in a skate shop and then you get artists like dalek that have shoes and trucks its catering to the writers and the people that skate. two makrets at once.

Here isan interview that clears up Dalek and graffiti...

My Webpage

AVC: How old were you when you moved there?

D: I was 24 or 25. I graduated high school in Japan in 1986, and we moved to Hawaii. Needless to say, when I lived in Hawaii I didn’t do much of anything except go to the beach every day. I worked in a shop and just sort of hung out for a couple of years. As far as graffiti is concerned, I got started doing graffiti pretty late in the game. Most kids started when they were 15 or 16, if not younger. I hadn’t really been exposed to it before, and when I was, it instantly appealed to me.

Originally posted by HECZONER@Mar 21 2006, 02:19 PM

well put

i had a dalek t-shirt....but i got it for free at some graffiti event.....so its all good....i see hella people rockin dalek/giant clothes now-a-days...and when i ask em about it...they don't know anything about anything.....example:

me: "thats a dope dalek shirt"

them: "huh?"

who gives a shit?

dalek isn't even connected with graffiti. as for as the world is concerned, he's a guy who makes space monkeys. people like space monkeys. it's not effecting us in anyway. he's not using graff as a foot hold, he's not pimping graff, he's not even really presented as a 'street artist'. the only people who bring it up are jealous writers, mad cause he's making some money off a corny ass played out image. wahh. hate kaws, he's way more of a sell out than dalek.

Originally posted by remorseles@Mar 24 2006, 12:37 PM

I dont know wher you come from by saying the average age for skatebaording is 13 -16 you got that all wrong, the average age range is any where fromlike 5 20's and i say that because of where i live there are at least 4 parks in the area and all of which have kids from 5-20 on a daily basis. now adys kids start skating younger. I do agree with you though about the marketable shit for a younger generation. but if you take a real good look at the market he is hitting you got skate shops that feature graff stuff like mags paint caps markers all of that stuff in a skate shop and then you get artists like dalek that have shoes and trucks its catering to the writers and the people that skate. two makrets at once.

My Webpage

D: I was 24 or 25. I graduated high school in Japan in 1986, and we moved to Hawaii. Needless to say, when I lived in Hawaii I didn’t do much of anything except go to the beach every day. I worked in a shop and just sort of hung out for a couple of years. As far as graffiti is concerned, I got started doing graffiti pretty late in the game. Most kids started when they were 15 or 16, if not younger. I hadn’t really been exposed to it before, and when I was, it instantly appealed to me.

sure, skaters range from the age of 5 to 40, but

the core demographic of a skateboarder is 13-16.

thats why all the skate mags cater to that age group.

which is also why, you dont see car ads in skate mags, and other mature non-endemic ads.

but you see those type of ads in surf mags and snowboard mags,

where their demographic is towards the late teens into the twenties and even older.

for example, big brother and strength was a mature audience magazine,

but both of those have folded. the older skater does not keep the industry going.

it's the kids and their parents who put money into this industry.

Originally posted by Manifesto@Apr 2 2006, 05:16 AM

but both of those have folded.

thankfully dave carnie and clyde singleton are working at the skateboard mag. those two made big brother worth reading. it's a shame clyde's not as flat out racist as he was in bb though

Originally posted by Manifesto+Apr 1 2006, 02:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Manifesto - Apr 1 2006, 02:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-remorseles@Mar 24 2006, 12:37 PM

My Webpage

which is also why, you dont see car ads in skate mags, and other mature non-endemic ads.

where their demographic is towards the late teens into the twenties and even older.

but both of those have folded. the older skater does not keep the industry going.

[/b]

Theres no point in trying to prove anything to you? you think your so right in the things you say anyways. kids and parents are NOT puting moneyinto an industry with graffiti. do you see parents ordering caps and markers for thier kids to go out and get up? no you dont. before you start talking about things you should make sure you know enough about it.

Originally posted by remorseles+Apr 1 2006, 06:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (remorseles - Apr 1 2006, 06:27 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Manifesto@Apr 1 2006, 02:16 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-remorseles@Mar 24 2006, 12:37 PM

My Webpage

Theres no point in trying to prove anything to you? you think your so right in the things you say anyways. kids and parents are NOT puting moneyinto an industry with graffiti. do you see parents ordering caps and markers for thier kids to go out and get up? no you dont. before you start talking about things you should make sure you know enough about it.

[/b]

im not trying to argue with you,

but its just what i know about the skate industry,

is where i was making my point on who the target audience is.

but for opinions sake...

from your original reply about hitting both markets.

do you think graffiti writers really want to buy this shit?

its like buying a tribal shirt, or wearing shirts with graffiti on it.

just tacky.

and you're right, parents arent putting money into the graff industry,

which is the reason dalek is making this shit for skateboarding,

because there is money in that industry.

thats why it aint graff for the skate comunity,

cause its a neon space monkey,

so parents will buy thatshit.

and people that know who he is, dont care.

it's been around the block a few times,

i dont even know what we were dicussing about.

my post was just mainly stating, his shit got bland,

but the skate market took it up,

[and my original post being, that the skate market is between the age of 13-16],

all cause its a lovable chracter.