Dalek Opening

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I might be in the minority with this, but i've never really been into any of Dalek's stuff. Im sure he has a wide range of ability's and im not at all trying to discredit him for what he has done, but seeing the same character painted over and over in the same manner (Mediums/size), with the same background (usually one solid color/ a couple bubbles,cloud's etc) really just doesnt do it for me - I mean i think its great if you can get work doing what he's doing, and its cool to see that he's making money and getting shows.. i just dont personally get anything out of his work.

• 5 months later...

could not find any where ells to put this to i stuck it in here:

PROFILE: DALEK

http://WWW.DALEKART.COM

words: mb / photos: Dalek

In the mid nineties James Marshall aka Dalek attented The Art Institute of Chicago for photography. Although photos can still be found within his portfolio. It was painting and writing graffiti that intrigued him the most. "I learned to paint on my own pretty much. I picked up things from other artists' but that was pretty much it." stated James. His signature is his Space Monkey Characters, which can be found on walls, shower curtains, skate decks and cavases to name a few.

In 2003 in conjunction with R77 Publishing, he released his inaugural book, Nickel Plated Angels. Which he then followed up a year later with a Sonic Order of Happiness. He has colaborated with artists' such as Sheppard Fairey and companies like Nike. The year 2005 has been very promising so far with a packed lineup of shows from Paris, Philadelphia, LA and Toronto. "It's as sweet as one could ask. This has been a great year so far and hopefully it will keep on keeping on."

Dalek had the time to catch up with the people behind InquiringMind to catch a glimpse of what the true north can expect as Space Monkey's will soon reign supreme.

- - - Q & A - - -

IQMND: How is everything going these days?

DALEK: Everything is good. Life is good.

IQMND: To the heads who don't know, fill them in with what you do.

DALEK: I paint a bit and do some designing on the computer.

IQMND: How did you get into each of the fields you are involved in?

DALEK: 100% Randomly. They all just sort of happened, so I am just rolling with it.

IQMND: Were you self taught or did you go to school for it?

DALEK: I learned to paint on my own pretty much. I picked up things from other painters. But that's pretty much it. I went to art school in Chicago in the mid 90's but that was for photography.

IQMND: Describe a typical day for you.

DALEK: I am usually up around 5:30 or 6:00 am. Make some coffee, answer emails, head off to the studio around 8:00 or 9:00. Depends how much computer work needs to get done. Then usually I work in the studio until 6:00 or 7:00 pm. Then I come home, check the email again, eat dinner, hang out with the family, watch TV for a minute and then crash around 11:00 pm or so.

IQMND: It's been a busy year for you so far. You recently had a show with Sheppard Fairey, which by the way looked awesome, as well as upcoming solo shows in Philadelphia and two in Toronto and capping off the summer in LA. How's all that coming along?

DALEK: About as sweet as one could ask. This has been a great year so far and hopefully it will keep on keeping on. I'm glad you like the colaborative show with Shep. That was fun to do for me. Sheppard and I have been friends for years and he was definitely one of the very first folks to give me love and help me along the way.

IQMND: In two years you came out with two publications, how did all that come about?

DALEK: My friend Roger said, "Let's put out a book." I said ok and then he said it again a year and a half later. So we gave it another go. I love books It's great to have 2 floating out there. I never thought that would be reality. It's cool to see.

IQMND: You dropped a book a few years back where Space Monkeys reign supreme. You followed up with, "Sonic Order of Happiness" What can fans expect from the second one?

DALEK: I don't know. Hopefully some stuff they will enjoy. I am just trying to keep the world of the monkey evolving. So hopefully it work's out.

IQMND: Character Assassination: Parts I & II is your first solo show in Canada. Describe to us how all that happened and what the show is about.

DALEK: I forgot exactly how the talk of doing something in Toronto got started. But I had been talking to a few people and I didn't really know much about who was who or what was up there. So I asked a trusted collector who lives up there to give me guidance. And that's how I got set up at Magic Pony and Le-Gallery. Which worked out great as they are really good folks who have their shit together 100%

As for the show, it is about whatever folks want it to be about. I always prefer to let people create their own story. Makes it more engaging.

IQMND: Actually this is your first stop in Canada for that matter. What took so long man!?

DALEK: It was really just a matter of nothing was really put on the table before. I would have come sooner if someone had asked.

IQMND: I heard after his solo show in May, GIANT checked you in NYC.

DALEK: I didn't even know Mike was doing anything up in Toronto until after the fact. Just worked out nicely like that. Mike's the Man!

IQMND: So what's the story behind the infamous Space Monkeys?

DALEK: I don't know. That's something you have to ask them.

IQMND: List any inspirations or anyone in particular you are a fan of.

DALEK: My son.

IQMND: Besides your upcoming shows. What's in store for you?

DALEK: More shows for at least this year. Then for 2006 I don't know yet. It's still evolving.

IQMND: James, much props for hooking up with IQMND. Any last words?

DALEK: Thanks again InquiringMind. Last words? Nothing no one needs to hear.

Make sure to catch Dalek's solo show, Character Assasination Pt. 1 & 2 at Magic Pony and Le-Gallery on July 21st and 22nd. Head over to http://www.magic-pony.com for further details.

http://www.inquiringmind.ca