D-Day 60 years on...

Guest sneak

Guest sneak

This day 60 years ago, the bigest military operation took place as Allied troops went to reclaim occupied France.

Midnight, June 5: Royal Air Force bombers begin pre-landing bombardment.

12:15-2:30 a.m., June 6: British 6th Airborne Division and U.S. 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions begin the assault to secure objectives on the east and west flanks of the invasion area

http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/on6jun/bomber.jpg'>

.5:30 a.m.: German coastal gun batteries begin sporadic firing, unaware of the magnitude of the invasion.

http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/on6jun/on6jun_map1.gif'>

5:50 a.m.: Allied naval bombardment begins, detonating large German minefields and destroying many German beach defenses and inland targets. Heavy and medium fighter bombers also attack targets.

http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/on6jun/on6jun_nor1.gif'>

6:30 a.m.: Landing on Omaha and Utah beaches (U.S. forces). http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/on6jun/landing.jpg'>

7:25 a.m.: Landing on Gold and Sword beaches (British forces). http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/on6jun/landing2.jpg'>

7:35-7:45 a.m.: Landing on Juno Beach (Canadian forces). Actual landing is closer to 8 a.m.http://users.skynet.be/on1dht/on6jun/on6jun_nor3.gif'>

Late evening, June 6: Allied power prevails all across the Normandy beachhead.

To all who lost their lives RIP

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think about D-Day a lot. I really can't imagine what it was like to watch

people vaporise right in front of you, to hear screams and engines and

the screaming whir of MG42 barrels firing at you, to hear the sloshing of

sea water and blood along beaches where bodyparts and metal blaspheme

against nature. To feel a bullet tearing through your flesh and bone, to

understand that silence and numbness was just moments away.. must

have been a relief to many more than it was a burden.

Rest in peace.

dude, i got all the love in the world for those cats. they were fucking children (most were between 18-20) goin out there shitting their pants not knowing if they'd make it back alive. all the respect in the world. i could never imagine doing that.

Originally posted by InDY_500

That show Band of Brothers really detailed what our soldiers went through.....

it really didn't.

It goes without saying that everyone who died on the beaches, in the water, the air and inland gets my upmost respect, pity and admiration

Guest sneak
Originally posted by Mr. ABC

what? the nazi's got themselves a well deserved woopin, that's a fact.

what about the German soldiers who died?

Its a day for them aswell.

Originally posted by sneak

what about the German soldiers who died?

Its a day for them aswell.

Fuck that. The ones that were directly involved in D-Day weren't

protecting anything, they were occupying the French beaches. There's a

difference between the Americans, Canadians, and Brits fighting to

liberate the French, and the Germans trying to control them.

I'm not saying that those men don't deserve proper respect, but celebrating

D-Day is all about honoring the soldiers that died. The Germans

don't deserve that kind of celebration.

Guest sneak

What about the average German soldier? Like on our sides, he was very young, often under 18, and was fighting for his survival?

You cant say all German soldiers were Nazis (im not saying you are) some were simply following orders.

Urgh, i dont know how to say what i mean.

RIP people on all sides.

Originally posted by S@T@N

Fuck that. The ones that were directly involved in D-Day weren't

protecting anything, they were occupying the French beaches. There's a

difference between the Americans, Canadians, and Brits fighting to

liberate the French, and the Germans trying to control them.

I'm not saying that those men don't deserve proper respect, but celebrating

D-Day is all about honoring the soldiers that died. The Germans

don't deserve that kind of celebration.

your dead wrong mate

Guest imported_Tesseract

i'm with sneak and whiteox, theres a huge difference between being a master nazi and just another kido in the army, in the same way we shouldnt feel bad for all those kids in nam, iraq, etc...to take a bit further, the worst mistake one can do is to assume that the german army was some extraterestial army of monsters thats dealt with once and for all, history is repeated and it could be hoods good kid that gets demonised next...watch your aiming

Originally posted by CILONE/SK

I have respect for the germans because they almost took overe everything and they were the best enemy that america has had in a long time.

that is no reason to respect them...How do you define 'best' enemy?

They were not monsters at all, neither were the americans, they all were just soldiers doing their jobs and trying to stay alive. But one thing is for certain, I am glad that the allies gave the nazis a chance to die for their cause and alot of them took it.

While there are 'monsters' in all armies, The difference between the allies and the germans is that the germans were being commanded by 'monsters' like Hitler and his staff

My respect for the Germans who died is confined to those who were not motivated to fight by the same desires of those who led them

Guest imported_Tesseract

Tess, what did you learn about WWII growing up that is different from what they teach us in America? I knew the facts get fucked up sometimes with different perspectives.

I wouldnt exactly know but i doubt it. The ww2 is long gone and history always gets precise as times rolls by. I might know more things about the italians since they were the ones we fought, won and then the german army came and fucked us up. Athens was taken....italians were some of the biggest victims of that war...they got played by both sides and they were always kind on the coutries they occupied under mussolini...i gots love even if they were on the wrong side.

That's all well and good. If you want to go back and reread my post,

I never once said the Germans don't deserve respect, but if you're a

loyal soldier doing morally wrong things, where do you draw the line

between respect and honor?

I'm not at all claiming that German soldiers weren't "good" soldiers. I'm

saying that they were fighting for entirely different goals than we were,

and that as a whole, the rememberance of D-Day should be focused on

those whose lives were lost while fighting for people they didn't even know.

Soldiers are soldiers no matter what country they are from. Soldiers follow orders and that is all. I have respect for the germans because they almost took overe everything and they were the best enemy that america has had in a long time. They were not monsters at all, neither were the americans, they all were just soldiers doing their jobs and trying to stay alive. But one thing is for certain, I am glad that the allies gave the nazis a chance to die for their cause and alot of them took it.

Tess, what did you learn about WWII growing up that is different from what they teach us in America? I knew the facts get fucked up sometimes with different perspectives.

What you on? I hate to rattle on about this and don`t mean to offend but "best enemy that America has had in a long time" ..You know how stupid that sounds?? It`s like you`re saying you was the only peeps involved and everyonelse had a back seat...Maybe you should have a lil read of some history books and come back when you make a lil bit more sense..

Guest sneak

^i was just about to point that out. The majority of the war was various European countries battling it out. if i remember correctly, America didnt get involved till late on and then they took their time to get the moving. Again, i never meant to call people out but, sometimes its hard to get what you have in your head out on a keyboard.

Ive been to Omaha beach and the war graves in Ypres (which were WW1). Some mad shit, proper sad/eerie. A couple of my friends were laughing uncontrollably because they managed to get boners in the cemetary, (they're not gay, just twisted).

RIP.

Originally posted by Jackson

Ive been to Omaha beach and the war graves in Ypres (which were WW1). Some mad shit, proper sad/eerie. A couple of my friends were laughing uncontrollably because they managed to get boners in the cemetary, (they're not gay, just twisted).

RIP.

Your friends are very sick individuals.

Originally posted by S@T@N

I'm not at all claiming that German soldiers weren't "good" soldiers. I'm

saying that they were fighting for entirely different goals than we were,

and that as a whole, the rememberance of D-Day should be focused on

those whose lives were lost while fighting for people they didn't even know.

This is a really fucked up way of thinking. Maybe you should do some research and find that thousands of Germans DID die during D-Day, fighting an enemy THEY didn't know. While there were the extreme Nazis, the SS and the Hitler Youth, the average German soldier was exactly like the average Allied soldier; scared absolutley shitless and fighting a war that they wanted no part in. Their "goals" were to stay the fuck alive, so they could go home to their families and loved ones in one piece. It wasn't their fault that they were being told to fight by a bunch of maniacs.....

Are you going to say "no" when you're told to fore on someone, or A)you'll get killed by your officers, or B) the person you're supposed to kill will kill you? Didn't think so....

Seriously, man....it's their day just as much as it is ours :nope:

Archived