Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

cure to aids?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by iloveboxcars, Dec 2, 2004.

1. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/97/104...0000_5024_hv_03

Human Test: Novel Vaccine Stops HIV

Treatment Turns On Anti-HIV Immunity, Holds AIDS Virus in Check

By Daniel DeNoon
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Charlotte Grayson, MD
    on Monday, November 29, 2004

Nov. 29, 2004 -- It worked in mice. It worked in monkeys. And now in humans, a therapeutic vaccine has stopped HIV in its tracks.

The vaccine is made from a patient's own dendritic cells and HIV isolated from the patient's own blood. Dendritic cells are crucial to the immune response. They grab foreign bodies in the blood and present them to other immune cells to trigger powerful immune system responses to destroy the foreign invaders.

HIV infection normally turns these important immune system responses off. But animal studies show that when dendritic cells are "loaded" with whole, killed AIDS viruses, they can trigger effective immune responses that keep infected animals from dying of AIDS.

Wei Lu, Jean-Marie Andrieu, and colleagues at the University of Paris in France and Pernambuco Federal University in Recife, Brazil, tested the vaccine on 18 Brazilian patients. All had HIV infection for at least a year. Their T-cell counts -- a crucial measure of AIDS progression -- were dropping, meaning their disease was worsening. None was taking anti-HIV medications.

After getting three under-the-skin injections of the tailor-made vaccine, the amount of HIV in the patients' blood (called the viral load) dropped by 80%. After a year, eight of the 18 patients still had a 90% drop in HIV levels. All patients' T-cell counts stopped dropping.

The findings appear in the December issue of Nature Medicine.

"The results suggest that [these] vaccines could be a promising strategy for treating people with chronic HIV infection," Andrieu and colleagues write. "The significant decrease of viral load as well as maintenance of ... [T-]cell counts observed at one year after immunization are particularly promising."

The researchers warn that their study is only proof of principle. It's still not clear which patients do best with the vaccine, although there's evidence that vaccination should be given as soon after HIV infection as possible. Only clinical trials comparing people who get the vaccine to those who don't can show whether this vaccine really is an effective AIDS therapy.

Similar approaches are being explored for the treatment of cancer and long-term viral infections such as hepatitis C.

2. AORAone

AORAone Veteran Member

its about fucking time

3. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

what did it take, 30 years? that's one cunt of a disease

4. mackfatsoe

mackfatsoe Veteran Member

5. GLIK$

GLIK$ Dirty Dozen Crew

Damn it, after all the hard work they put in to keep the gay and black populations down.

6. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

7. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

thats great news, but if you have aids you better get to a trial test soon, because once the treatment goes mainstream it will be so expensive that the majority of suffers will be unable to afford it.
    lets hope the University of Paris will be socially responsible and not sell the patent to a large pharmaceutical company.

8. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Umm....why am I just hearing about this on 12oz?

9. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

don't get me wrong here, there are some pretty nasty diseases out there that cause a lot of suffering, and i'm fascinated by medical technology and advances...

but whatever happened to survival of the fitest?

10. MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega

MisPantalonesEstaEnfuega Veteran Member

yea why am i only hearing about this here?

not to knock the place but i don't come here for a reliable source of news...

11. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

webmd is a reputable site, so is Nature..
    when they've actually completed some clinical trials and things look good, then you'll be hearing about it in the mass media. my guess is not for a couple years...

12. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

survival of the fitest?

not taking something that is available to you that will make you better just because of the "survival of the fitest" thing would be retarded. that's like not eating, even though it would make you feel better, because you believe in survival of the fitest. i dunno.

13. GucciCondom

GucciCondom Veteran Member

I want stocks in this shit.

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

DON'T FORGET POLAND

15. Jackson

Jackson Veteran Member