CULTURE JAMMING

artsol

yo what do u cats think of culture jamming?

I just started gettin into it...I don't know what catalyzed it but I'm feelin it.

I rocked 6 newspaper boxes in 2 days.

the first were originally 'DID THIS US LAWYER HELP TERROR SHEIK?'

which became 'DID THE US HELP TERROR?'

and 'POWELL'S DAUNTING TASK' became 'POWELL'S DIMWITTED TASKS'

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

culture jamming is hard to describe, the most obvious definition is visual.

It's basically taking something u don't agree with and putting a spin on it yourself.

These cats in england took the billboard for Microsoft 'suddenly everything clicks' and changed it to 'suddenly everything sucks' it looked exactly like the old billboard except the word was different.

Adbusters is like the most wellknown of culture jamming/grassroots organizations and they created a flag in time square for their building except they replaced the stars with corporate logos. But the possiblities for culture jamming are endless...it doesn't even have to be as clever as changing words and traditional images. even throwing paintbombs (eggs with a small hole drilled inside and filled with paint) on corporate billboards are culture jamming.

for examples of it chek out

www.adbusters.org

there are tons of others...just go to google and search

culture jamming

so you just recently got into culture jamming? i think some people get into it, because it seems to have more of a purpose or agenda to it than just writing on walls. I also suggest putting 35 cents or 50 cents, or whatever the hell they charge for a newspaper, into a newspaper machine, taking out all the newspapers and inserting your own brochure, flyer, or propoganda into each newspaper, then putting them back. Something you might advertise is international "TV turnoff week- April 21-28". for more information on TV turnoff week go to www.adbusters.org

and for more information on what culture jamming is and why people do it read Kalle Lasn's book "Culture Jam" which can be found at most public libraries :idea:

thanks for the tips crisis especially with the newspaper thing.I had used masking tape to alter the headlines(to cheap to pay for a paper just to alter it. But now I see I can 'get my message out' through flyers in the paper...thanks b,

Deltron 3030!

Archived