...cui bono?

Retired Hasbeen

'Unocal, a California-based global energy company, heads up one of two consortiums engaged in fierce competition to build gas and oil pipelines from landlocked Turkmenistan to Pakistan through war-torn Afghanistan. In testimony to the U.S. Congress this February, John Maresca, vice-president in charge of Unocal's international relations, referred to the $4.5 billion, some 790-mile project as the "new Silk Road...a commercial corridor that can link Central Asia supply with the demand, once again making Central Asia the crossroads between Europe and Asia."

Iran offers an alternative pipeline route, but because of U.S. sanctions legislation, American companies would not be able to participate in its construction-or, as a result, gain any benefit from what are considered the largest untapped oil and gas reserves outside the Middle East. And while Unocal says it cannot sign any deal with the Taliban until they are formally recognized, this hasn't stopped them from wining and dining Taliban officials, and arranging shopping trips for them to purchase luxury items on their visits to the oil company in the U.S. Unocal already has a $900,000 training program underway, in collaboration with the University of Nebraska at Omaha, for pipeline construction personnel, a program limited to Afghan males. Additionally, the duo has established two technician training centers in Afghanistan, also benefitting men only.

Unocal's main partner in the consortium is Delta Oil Co., a Saudi-owned company, in whose behalf former White House legislative assistant Paul Behrends and Delta's American vice-president Charles Santos, a recent U.N. peace negotiator in Afghanistan, are busy lobbying in Washington.

The pipeline would bring the Taliban some $100 million annually in transit fees, in addition to providing thousands of jobs and improving infrastructure-building roads, supplying electricity, telephones, etc.-in the war-devastated country. The Clinton administration reportedly supports the Afghan pipeline, which would free the new nations of Central Asia from dependence on Russia, avoid the Iranian route, and bring needed energy to the Indian subcontinent.

Competing with Unocal to build the pipeline is Bridas International of Argentina, whose managing director, Mario Lopez Olacireegui, has gone on record saying he is not concerned about the Taliban's human rights violations. "We are just an oil and gas company," he says. "We are not bothered by human rights or politics." The Taliban, for their part, say they will award the pipeline contract to the consortium that is first able to start construction. Unocal's deadline to begin is this coming December.'

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ok...two photos that were posted on CNN that supposedly show Palistinians celebrating on Tuesday.And there is doecumented that the footage they were using both on their websites and on TV was footage taken in 1991 when they were celebrating the invasion of Kuwait.These photos have since been pulled off CNN.Yet I saved them due to the fact that something did not seem right about this.Now I must ask why would they do this?..Try shaping public opinion. We are going to attack Afghanistan..where there is an extremely LARGE AMOUNT of UNTAPPED OIL....the silk road it is being refferd to.

I am so bummed about all of this.There has all ready been discussion of a National ID card for all americans.

The saga continues..,..and I keep hearing is that .."it is a new world"...yep.the new world order.

There has also been e-mails and posts on the net warning people about selling their stocks in the wake of this tragedy. They fear that Americans will be in fear that their stocks will crash due to a possible recession caused in part to the bombings/crashes. Their fear is that Osama Bin Laden and other terrorist's would buy those stocks at a reduced rate due to the fact that everyones trying to get rid of them. Therefore not only would Bin Laden have attacked the US with the planes he would stand to make money to further fund his terrorist networks. Germany is looking to find possible accounts owned by Bin Laden and put a freeze on the accounts. Also Brazil has done the same thing. Many other countries are presumably soon to follow.

Originally posted by seeking innocence:

im not doubtng that it is the case, but who has documented proof? has anyone stepped forward and admitted it? id like to have something more than my general distrust and some random letters to go on...

Even if these posts have no truth to them. It might be a good idea to support the economy by continuing to buy stocks if we got cash and to continue to spend money period. In my economics class this semester there has been alot of talk about consumers not spending due to a uneasyness of the economy. The reason regardless of whether or not people believed in the Bush tax cut(I did not by the way) the purpose was to try to get consumers to spend money and avert a possible recession.

If I had money I would spend it.

Archived