CSX "Coke Railway" Hopper

Tre$Loco$

CSX "Coke Express" Hopper

I saw it today parked next to the highway, its a big blue CSX hopper and it says something like "Coke Rail" or "train" or something ironic and funny on the side. Anyone ever seen one or got a flic, I thought it was so weird to see that on the side of a container car.

*title edited for correction*

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

these were used/produced specifically for the transport of metallurgical coke. they were brought about in the 80's i think. they were designed to have a higher payload, which means they are built taller because of the product they are designed for. they also built them so that if the "coke" market dies down, the top of the car can be cut away and the car will be used as a normal hopper.

oh here is a definition of what it carries:

metallurgical coke-

Metallurgical coke is produced by carbonization of coals or coal blends at

temperatures up to 1400 K to produce a macroporous carbon material of

high strength and relatively large lump size.

Notes:

Metallurgical cokes must have a high strength to support heavy loads in

the blast furnace without disintegration. Metallurgical coke is also used as filler coke for polygranular products.

hope that helps.

Originally posted by Hank Parker

i was grosly mistaken by the title on the hopper when i approached one in a yard...so i lined some up, took a toot.......and boy was my face red. all i really got was a real bad sore on the inside of my nose and my finger nails turned yellow for a month.

:twitch:

hahahah:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by dirtyeskimo5

I thought it was a rolling party too. I never seen one stopped and I assumed inside is about 40-60 cokeheads doing coke in express fashion.

lol

Dude, I hear the columbians are running shit now to the point where they just flaunt it. Coke Express.....rolling through a trendy part of town near you.

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~ttatoyan/cocaine.jpg'>

http://fraggle.alkali.org/img/habbo/cocaine.png'>

Archived