Crossfire Book Thread

Soup forgot his password

Post your books, pamphlets, etc..

Just finished

Amusinghkn.jpg

"Amusing Ourselves to Death." By neil postman

Pretty much required reading for every american. It focuses on how the values of society have shifted from pamphlets and novels to newspapers and television.

Picture-1.png

"Higher Education?" By Andrew Hacker

Discusses how our university system in this country is academically bankrupt and has turned into a $442 billion business. Also discusses what this means for Americans.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

America's First best seller from 1776. Written by a lower classmen who worked at a harbor it not only proved that the literacy rate at one point in america was fucking astonishing and the exchange and strength of ideas was at one point classless, it also proved that at one point america was capable of serious disquisition and, when needed, rational enough to agree when actions needed to be taken. There has never been a more widely-read (by % of population) piece of litterature in american history and today is only rivaled by the superbowl. In many ways, this is a more important document than the constitution and in recent days has been all-but forgotten.

200px-Commonsense.jpg

Thomas Paine - Common Sense

http://loufreyinstitute.org/civicsconnection/assets/files/conversations/congress_and_the_public/primary_resources/Thomas%20Paine%20Common%20Sense.pdf

The-Shallows.jpg

The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

you_are_not_a_gadget.large_.jpg

You Are Not A Gadget: A manifesto

HamletsBlackberry-large.jpg

Hamlet's Blackberry: A Practical philosophy for building a good life in the digital age

alone-together.png

Alone Together: Wy we expect more from technology

SusanSontag_OnPhotography%5B1%5D.jpg

On Photography by Susan Sontag

"Susan Sontag's groundbreaking critique of photography asks forceful questions about the moral and aesthetic issues surrounding this art form. Photographs are everywhere. They have the power to shock, idealize or seduce, they create a sense of nostalgia and act as a memorial, and they can be used as evidence against us or to identify us. In six incisive essays, Sontag examines the ways in which we use these omnipresent images to manufacture a sense of reality and authority in our lives."

Thanks fuckhead now i have more in my to do pile... Fuckhead...

41RFxEXj7tL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The conundrum, just finished... Feeling more dystopian...

magnum_cover.jpg

Magnum degrees.

deerhunting.jpg

For you yankees, if you have not read this and are left inclined its a really good read. Shame that Joe died last year.

Whats the shallows like?

Worth a read?

• 2 weeks later...

where+the+conflict+really+lies.jpeg

Where the Conflict Really Lies: Science, Religion, and Naturalism

Alvin Plantinga

A must read for anyone interested in this topic especially since Plantinga is considered by many to be

the most important philosopher of religion in the 20th century.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread is like my bookcase, I'm not on any kind of trajectory to get through them all.

Although, I am about half way through Sandel's - Justice for my English class. Good read, watching his class on youtube at the same time for "review" I guess you'd call it.

We're also getting Alfred McCoy's work thrown at us... He's the professor who exposed the CIA for helping Laotian drug/war lords during the Vietnam war among many, many other things. He remains pretty objective throughout his work. A+ stuff...

http://www.democracynow.org/2006/2/17/professor_mccoy_exposes_the_history_of

He teaches at University of Wisconsin - Madison... not far at all from where I live /coolstorybr0

Screen+shot+2010-04-29+at+19.20.28.png

How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes by Peter D. Schiff

How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes uses illustration, humor, and accessible storytelling to explain complex topics of economic growth and monetary systems. In it, economic expert and bestselling author of Crash Proof, Peter Schiff teams up with his brother Andrew to apply their signature "take no prisoners" logic to expose the glaring fallacies that have become so ingrained in our country?s economic conversation.

Inspired by How an Economy Grows and Why It Doesn?t?a previously published book by the Schiffs? father Irwin, a widely published economist and activist?How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes?incorporates the spirit of the original while tackling the latest economic issues.With wit and humor, the Schiffs explain the roots of economic growth, the uses of capital, the destructive nature of consumer credit, the source of inflation, the importance of trade, savings, and risk, and many other topical principles of economics.

The tales told here may appear simple of the surface, but they will leave you with a powerful understanding of How an Economy Grows and Why it Crashes.

Haven't had a chance to read this one yet but it is on my wish list.