cross-processing photos (easy shit)

p-jilbs

Photoshop filter effects are for busters. Here is an easy way to get interesting looking color photos. It's sometimes nice to get away from the monotony of black&white. Give it a try.

Get some 35mm Fuji SLIDE film such as Sensia, Provia, Velvia, etc.

(I have tried Kodak for this multiple times and it blows.)

Shoot as usual with your camera. Doesn't hurt to look for especially vibrant/weird colors and combinations in the shot. Plenty of sunlight doesn't hurt.

Take the film to a lab and tell them you want it processed c-41 (just like regular color film) with prints. Matte with borders is nice also. It might not hurt to go to a quality photo processing place. Wal-Mart would probably just fuck it all up.

Get your photos back and post them on 12oz.

Post some cross-processed photos you have done if you've got 'em. Here are some I took. I was pretty psyched on how they turned out. Seems like there are a lot of factors in how the film will come out (what lab you take it to, exact type of film, etc. etc.).

boatstack.sized.jpg

santa cruz boardwalk (where lost boys was filmed)

continental_divide.sized.jpg

you know where...

2_3_2006_04.sized.jpg

cheshire ohio

lurkzone.sized.jpg

louisville kentucky

strawberries.sized.jpg

orchard in indiana

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Agreed, cross processing is really fun shit. I used to do a lot of it, but I unfortunately don't have access to any of my old pictures right now.

In my experience, Fuji Velvia is the best film to use, and maybe push it a couple of stops.

P, those are some really nice shots. I especially like the second and fourth ones... those strawberries make a great case for cross processing by themselves.

This is a generational debate. It's true, photoshop filters and digital photography in general just aren't quite capable of replicating film and the techniques that go along with it. They're certainly getting there, but the purists still have a point.

If photoshop has been around since before you knew about photography, and that shit is second nature to you, then sure, it's going to be your steez. But in photography, as with almost anything, a strong foundation in history is important. Even if you can achieve any effect you want on the computer, taking a few steps back and learning to do shit the old fashioned way will only improve your understanding and abilities.

i worked in a black and white darkroom for 3 or 4 years... did shit loads of prints and expiremented a ton... loved it... the last few years (3) due to lack of access to said darkroom i shot digitally... i shot over 3000 images in 3 years and did touching and full on editing in photoshop the whole time.. shits cool for sure... but my nikon just croaked the other month and ive been pricing darkroom stuff.. as easy as it WOULD be to have prints made it just doesnt happen... i did have some done and they looked great but theres something about doing everything yourself... ive got a lot more respect for my own work and prints when ive done the footwork... much less other peoples stuff

two cents..

dope prints

its also important to understand that not only does the film brand play a major part in the finished result, but the speed changes it as well (ex check out the sensia 100 vs sensia 400)

plus, dont forget the xpro goes both ways . so you can take your c41 film and throw it in some e6