Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Critical Terms for Graffiti Study

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Sonik3000, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Sonik3000

Sonik3000 Senior Member

http://graffiti.org/faq/critical_terms_sonik.html

I am curious to know what you guys think. I'd love to hear feedback from anybody who feels like taking the time to read this piece. Especially anything that you think is wrong...

Take care - Sonik

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

wow, well done. i read it, but i will have to go over it a time or three to thouroughly grasp it. i guess the only contraversial part, or should i say the part some may find contraversial, is the legality/permission paragraph.

3. Nic Thamaire

Nic Thamaire Elite Member

I think phase2 used the term: 'stylewriting' more than just 'writing',,well i've just read the first paragraph i have to get back to it later..

4. Fabo 2

Fabo 2 Member

it's a well written study.

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

sonik, i read the brazil articles on your site, good stuff.

6. newmark

newmark New Jack

Sonik, i love your storys and studies. When are you gonna publish a book? I will be the first to buy it!

7. specone

specone Junior Member

Well put :king:

8. mltdizzy

mltdizzy New Jack

I THINK THAT WAS GOOD... THERE IS A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO NEED TO READ THAT... MAYBE IT WILL HELP THEM UNDERSTAND THE HIP HOP CULTURE A LITTLE BETTER.

9. Gradywilson

Gradywilson New Jack

In my opinion, Overall the most comprehensive, to the point, cover-all-the bases inside look into the who what where when and why... Your piece takes a step past merely stating What it is we do, and gives a bit of insight as to the WHY... covering many diffferent viewpoints as well... If there is any one piece of literature about writing that someone who nknows nothing about graff should read, this is it... I think you should write a book, seriously. I truly enjoyed reading it, and when I was done, I read it again just because I wish there was more to read. My hat goes off to you.

10. krowteN

krowteN Member

absolutely brilliant. very well written.

11. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

He's got a badass childrens book coming out in the spring I think, check his website.

I can hella relate to the section on legal walls and how frustrating they are.

12. Dantheman

Dantheman New Jack

I could relate to what you wrote very well, and the way you've put it down, I think many outsiders will find it an interesting read aswell. Even though I'm not happy to admit it, because it at first sounds unintelligent, is the last part with Fuck you, because that's the way it is..people just don't get it :).

13. wiseguy

wiseguy Elite Member

a very good read, i am liking your writing...
    on an unrelated topic, is the children's book that you wrote like a picturebook with a story?

14. Sonik3000

Sonik3000 Senior Member

Yo - I am super glad that all of you seemed to think highly of the essays. They were tough to write, and a lot of people helped with critiques (crew here, Jim Prigoff, Susan Farrell). There's more to write.

Re. my children's book: It's a picture story book with text, designed to first be read to kids and then be one of the kids' early reads on their own. Think in the line of Where the Wild Things Are, Harold and the Purple Crayon, Ferdinand, etc. I really hope the kids dig it.

S.

15. Nekro

Nekro Elite Member

Those are the best damn kids books ever!

I ESPECIALLY liked the suggestion that people not try to understand graffiti through the eyes of traditional art. It's graffiti, not abstract painting or mural art or whatever!