Creative Arts Therapies

ThatDrawingBitch

Ok so I am studying the above. It doesn't make me a therapist, just able to run workshops using creative artforms that can provide a therapeutic process. I've decided to finish up my foundation degree with a degree in counselling, then a masters (shaky on the detailsa as I have just started) cos I want to be an actual therapist of some kind but I think art will be a part of it no matter what.

Basially, it encompasses all kinds of stuff - drama, music, visual arts, sculpture, journalling, even clowing - anything 'creative' that can be formatted or structured in a way that means you can provide people with the room for personal growth (generally based around person-centred psychotherapy).

I'm just starting this thread in case anyone has thoughts or experience with this. I becaome interested after joining a collective that works to provide workshops in the hip hop elements for kids (eg breaking, graf, music production etc) and I kinda grew aware of the movement of art therapy (here in the Uk it's becoming more accepted by/aligned with - and therefore subject to the regulations of - the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy). It's an interesting, if slightly hippified movement, but I personally believe the arts can be healing and I think it could be an interesting discussion. If not, hey, the thread will die. No biggie :)

I'm esp interested in why people get into graf - got a few theories and thoughts, had some wicked discussion on the matter - all artists are part of art history and art history is mad fascinating too :)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.