CRAZY PROTESTS AGAINST VALENTINES DAY

dumy

BOMBAY, India (AP) — Hindu nationalists Friday raided shops in Bombay and burned cards and gifts for Valentine's Day, which they say goes against traditional Indian values.

Hindu Shiv Sena party supporters act up Friday in Calcutta.

By Deshakalyan Chowdhury, AFP

"Save Indian culture," shouted activists as they snatched cards from the shops in a western Bombay suburb, then burned them in a bonfire.

Activists also marched to the state legislature building in Lucknow, the capital of Uttar Pradesh state, and set fire to a heap of Valentine's Day cards. Handwritten notes in the Hindi language were pasted on card and gift shops with the warning: "Valentine's Day is against our culture. It is obscene and against our tradition."

Hindu nationalists claim the Western holiday promotes promiscuity, and in recent years they have marked the day by trashing shops, burning cards and chasing hand-holding couples out of restaurants.

"Valentine's Day is against the ethics and culture of Indian society," said Bal Kalsekar, a leader of the nationalist Shiv Sena party, which is based in Bombay.

Police guarded markets to prevent confrontations between Hindu nationalists and sweethearts wanting to buy Valentine's Day cards. There were no immediate reports of violence.

In the capital, New Delhi, nationalists distributed flyers asking young Indians to celebrate Hindu festivals instead. A heavy police presence in the capital prevented them from targeting shops there.

Others called on Indians to pay tribute instead to Indian-born astronaut Kalpana Chawla, who died in the Columbia disaster.

Kalsekar visited Satyam's, a big stationery shop in central Bombay on Friday and said the anti-Valentine campaign had been successful.

"If we see anyone flouting our ban, we will set the cards on fire and break up the shop," Kalsekar said.

Some shop owners had pulled Valentine's Day cards off the shelves to avoid trouble.

"I may make a small profit by selling cards, but if they break the shop windows my losses will run into thousands," said P.M. Shah, who runs a stationery store in Ghaptkopar, an eastern Bombay suburb.

Despite the protests, scores of young couples milled around the restaurants and gift shops in central Lucknow, exchanging cards and flowers.

"It's our day," said Kamna Saxena as she and her boyfriend Nitin Sharma had coffee in a crowded restaurant. "How can anyone be against love?"

saw this on myspace..haha...who knows if its true.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

well what d expect when we force our culture on thiers.....valentines day is a fucking stupid holiday anyways.....one day a year devoted to showing your love an affection twords your lover by buying over priced flowers, cards, candies, and toys all in the hopes of getting in your lovers pants....you can do that any day....anyways didn't saint valentine murder hella people or something?

Valentine was a holy priest in Rome, who, with St. Marius and his family, assisted the martyrs in the persecution under Claudius II. He was apprehended, and sent by the emperor to the prefect of Rome, who, on finding all his promises to make him renounce his faith in effectual, commended him to be beaten with clubs, and afterwards, to be beheaded, which was executed on February 14.

About the year 270. Pope Julius I is said to have built a church near Ponte Mole to his memory, which for a long time gave name to the gate now called Porta del Popolo, formerly, Porta Valetini.

The greatest part of his relics are now in the church of St. Praxedes. His name is celebrated as that of an illustrious martyr in the sacramentary of St. Gregory, the Roman Missal of Thomasius, in the calendar of F. Fronto and that of Allatius, in Bede, Usuard, Ado, Notker and all other martyrologies on this day. To abolish the heathens lewd superstitious custom of boys drawing the names of girls, in honor of their goddess Februata Juno, on the fifteenth of this month, several zealous pastors substituted the names of saints in billets given on this day.

The 14th was also a designated a feast day (until 1969, when it was dropped

from the Roman Catholic calendar) to honor two Christian saints

(at least one named Saint Valentine) martyred by the Roman Emperor

Claudius II Gothicus. There is a little bit of love stuff in this part,

though -- the reason Saint Valentine was killed (beheaded, actually)

was that he continued to marry young couples even though Claudius

forbade it. Apparently Claudius thought that married soldiers weren't

as good as single soldiers.

Guest -MOE LESTER-
Originally posted by the A squad@Feb 14 2006, 05:02 PM

I just got shot down. screw this day

haah that aint shit...big moe got dumped and insulted, all because i didnt buy the bitch anything on THIS ONE FUCKING DAY, when ive bought her stupid ass a gang of presents before

Guest -MOE LESTER-

for real son...bitch didnt get me anything, and its not like i even want or expect a stupid gift today. i see all these stupid mindless kids are hypin this shit up and i wanna sock em. the fucks the big deal maynnnne

wanna know the worst part? i cant get shitfaced drunk because i gotta be up at 6 tommorow.....fuck the world

dude, ho's like that are a waste of space and are what is keeping the human race from advancing you're probably better off without her..most likely she was into some foul shit anyways if she's dumping you over a "valentines gift" bet if you dug a little deeper you could find out some fuckshit..but I wouldn't advise it..just move on homie..its a thousand clubrats and bar rats out there, just get your dick wet and don't put too much stock into finding the one..hella girls are stupid nowadays..shit look at the ho's on this board..