COTTON BELT HOPPERS

TURBO DOG

does anyone know much about these cotton belt hoppers???

i used to see them rolling earlier in the 90's, and saw alot of them hit in old cbs photos..and cbs even once stood for "COTTON BELT SLAYERS" so i hear....anyhow i had the pleasure of hitting one of these in oklahoma city in '99 anyhow there were tons of these out west, we catch them rolling through the southeast occasionally, but they dont seem to run that much anymore...anyone know the stroy behind these?? if so post what you know!..thank you!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The Cotton Belt, aka The St. Louis Southwestern, was part of the Southern Pacific family, hence the similar paint schemes of the engines w/ the Bloody Nose scheme. The reason you don't see the Cotton Belt hoppers anymore in huge numbers is that they are being repainted by their owner Union Pacific. Although they are being repainted you can still denote a Cotton Belt hopper as it will carry the reporting marks "SSW" and a new Union Pacific shield logo. As well as SSW, other fallen flag companies long ago merged into the Union Pacific system, carry their former reporting marks as well. "CNW" for Chicago Northwestern, "MP" for Missouri Pacific, "SP" for Southern Pacific, and "WP" for Western Pacific. This system also applies to boxcars, etc...This simplifies the numbering of cars and ensures that a number duplication will not occur. Hope this helps...

With the repainting, the Cotton Belt fleet of hoppers will never dissapper. The task of repainting a whole fleet is damn near impossible, Union Pacific will have to take perfectly good cars offline into designated paint shops and paint them. Train cars not moving don't make money, train cars w/ no freight loaded cost railroads money. Union Pacific probably only repaints them when the cars are in for routine maintance at designated shops...

Guest rob deer

they make a lot of beer where I was raised. there's a couple malt refineries that get lots of these. although they are getting pretty crusty, are still pooled together with the UP's and the Crle's and the SP's along with mostly those yellow CNW's. I bet you see more of the CNW's nowadays.

next time you crack a mickeys or Ol' english, think of milwaukee and feel proud you're supporting Union pacific.

Originally posted by CROW RA

them hoppers come to clevland 2 one of my spots, but i dont know where they goto?

ive seen your work on them or at least on cars on the same lines as them more than once in central virginia. i think they may have been leased out to someone (not up)...i want to say cp maybe...but i could just be thinking of those soo line hoppers....im rambling

Archived