1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Copyright on grafitti?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by JB, Feb 22, 2002.

1. JB

JB New Jack

Copyright on grafitti?

Discussion started by JB - Feb 22, 2002

Does anyone know the legalities on publishing pictures of grafitti? Say, for example, someone took a picture of a tag or some shit that was on public property and then published it in a magazine. Would the artist of the grafitti have the right to sue or anything? Or is it illegal to patent, copyright or trademark anything that is illegal. Thanks.

JB - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  2. sect one

sect one 12oz Elite Member

sect one - Replied Feb 22, 2002

very good question im curious now too im leaning towards no though cause its liek on other peopels property

sect one - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. ASER1NE

ASER1NE 12oz Veteran Member

ASER1NE - Replied Feb 22, 2002

no that doesnt apply , you cannot copyright things that arent legal ................however if you steal flix from a website and use them in your mag , they can sue you..........

ASER1NE - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  4. mud_buddha

mud_buddha 12oz Senior Member

mud_buddha - Replied Feb 22, 2002

illegal stuff is probably outside of the realm of copyright (and if it technically isn't you'd be a damned fool trying excercise your rights.) The photograph of the illegal work is, however, protected by copyright as soon as it produced (any completed original work of art is automatically afforded some protection under copyright laws.) . Legal walls, blackbooks, canvases would be afforded the same protection. With those you could also apply for more copyright protection through the government.

mud_buddha - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  5. lisdexic

lisdexic New Jack

lisdexic - Replied Feb 22, 2002

good to know...

lisdexic - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  6. THE PROPHET

THE PROPHET 12oz Junior Member

THE PROPHET - Replied Feb 22, 2002

MUD BUDDHA IS RIGHT.
    1 ANY ILLEGAL WORK IS NOT GROUNDS FOR COPYRIGHT.
    2 A PHOTO OF ANYTHING, THE PHOTO ONLY, NOT THE WORK IS AUTOMATICALLY COPYWRITTEN TO THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURE.
    3 ALL LEGALS AND CANVASES ARE COPYWRITTEN TO THE ARTIST BY FIRST NAME ONLY OR IF YOUR WRITER NAME AND OR CREW IS REGISTERED.
    4 IF ITS ILLEGAL, AND SOMEONE USES THE IMAGE WITHOUT CONSENT YOU CAN EXCERCISE YOUR RIGHT BY BEATING THE MOTHERFUCKERS ASS THAT USED YOUR SHIT. :mad:

ITS STILL VERY EASY TO SNAKE IMAGES. SOMEONE CAN TAKE YOUR FLICK, RUN IT THROUGH PHOTOSHOP, CROP THE IMAGE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT AND CHANGE THE COLOR SATURATION SOME. BOOM THERES NO WAY YOU COULD PROVE OR IT WOULD MAKE IT VERY DIFFICULT TO PROVE THAT WAS YOUR IMAGE THAT WAS STOLEN. ALSO COSTLY MAKING IT NOT WORTH IT. WHEN I RELEASE MY GRAFF PROJECT IM WORKIN ON, IM PUTTIN UP A WEBSITE TO PROMOTE IT. IM GONNA HAVE TO PUT UP SAMPLE IMAGES OF MY FLIX. THEY HAVE TO BE GOOD QUALITY. SO MY PARTNER WHO WORKS WITH DISNEY IS PUTTIN A KIND OF WHAT WOULD BE A WATERMARK ON THE FLICK. HE AND I WOULD ONLY KNOW WHERE ON THE IMAGE THE MARK WOULD BE. REAL SMALL. MAKING IT EASIER TO NOTICE IF SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY IMAGES. THATS ALSO A BIG REASON WHY I DONT LIKE GRAFF ON THE NET. FOOLS AND MAGS SNAKE SHIT FOR THEM SELVES. ITS COOL IF ITS FOR YOUR PLEASURE. SHIT I HAVE A WHOLE COLLECTION BUT I WOULDNT USE THEM. THERES LIKE 3 MAGZ IN CIRRCULATION RIGHT NOW THAT I KNOW SNAKE SOME IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION. THEYLL REMAIN NAMELESS.

THE PROPHET - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  7. NOVAGIRL

NOVAGIRL 12oz Member

NOVAGIRL - Replied Feb 22, 2002

i guess if you wanted to you could flik all your shit and seal it in an envelop and mail it to yourself...then find the money, lawyer, and the time to pursue your claim of ownership...but the illegal shit is illegal shit and you would probably have to own up to that fact in court before seeking copyright protection...photographers have all rights as long as it's public property...

NOVAGIRL - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  8. mud_buddha

mud_buddha 12oz Senior Member

mud_buddha - Replied Feb 22, 2002

You don't need a lawyer and you don't need to mail it to yourself. For the "legal work" the form is relatively simple to fill out (1 page the last time I did it) and the application costs $25. Getting a lawyer involved for copyright stuff is overkill. Patents and Trademarks are another story entirely.

But, remember, as soon as a work is completed you have basic copyright protection. You can put the little © and claim ownership without doing anything at all. You pay for greater levels of protection/ safety.

mud_buddha - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. kodak

kodak 12oz Member

kodak - Replied Feb 22, 2002

well they have to get permission from the writer. but most of the time they dont, but if your a real writer you would be glad to be in a public magazine. i mean its more people that get to see your piece! hell yeah!

kodak - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  10. mobius

mobius Banned

mobius - Replied Feb 24, 2002

paint the biter when the situation arises. nothing goes bette with his pepe's than a fresh coat of jungle green

mobius - Rank: Banned - Messages: