Copyright on grafitti?

JB

Does anyone know the legalities on publishing pictures of grafitti? Say, for example, someone took a picture of a tag or some shit that was on public property and then published it in a magazine. Would the artist of the grafitti have the right to sue or anything? Or is it illegal to patent, copyright or trademark anything that is illegal. Thanks.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

illegal stuff is probably outside of the realm of copyright (and if it technically isn't you'd be a damned fool trying excercise your rights.) The photograph of the illegal work is, however, protected by copyright as soon as it produced (any completed original work of art is automatically afforded some protection under copyright laws.) . Legal walls, blackbooks, canvases would be afforded the same protection. With those you could also apply for more copyright protection through the government.

Originally posted by mud_buddha

illegal stuff is probably outside of the realm of copyright (and if it technically isn't you'd be a damned fool trying excercise your rights.) The photograph of the illegal work is, however, protected by copyright as soon as it produced (any completed original work of art is automatically afforded some protection under copyright laws.) . Legal walls, blackbooks, canvases would be afforded the same protection. With those you could also apply for more copyright protection through the government.

MUD BUDDHA IS RIGHT.

1 ANY ILLEGAL WORK IS NOT GROUNDS FOR COPYRIGHT.

2 A PHOTO OF ANYTHING, THE PHOTO ONLY, NOT THE WORK IS AUTOMATICALLY COPYWRITTEN TO THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE PICTURE.

3 ALL LEGALS AND CANVASES ARE COPYWRITTEN TO THE ARTIST BY FIRST NAME ONLY OR IF YOUR WRITER NAME AND OR CREW IS REGISTERED.

4 IF ITS ILLEGAL, AND SOMEONE USES THE IMAGE WITHOUT CONSENT YOU CAN EXCERCISE YOUR RIGHT BY BEATING THE MOTHERFUCKERS ASS THAT USED YOUR SHIT. :mad:

ITS STILL VERY EASY TO SNAKE IMAGES. SOMEONE CAN TAKE YOUR FLICK, RUN IT THROUGH PHOTOSHOP, CROP THE IMAGE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT AND CHANGE THE COLOR SATURATION SOME. BOOM THERES NO WAY YOU COULD PROVE OR IT WOULD MAKE IT VERY DIFFICULT TO PROVE THAT WAS YOUR IMAGE THAT WAS STOLEN. ALSO COSTLY MAKING IT NOT WORTH IT. WHEN I RELEASE MY GRAFF PROJECT IM WORKIN ON, IM PUTTIN UP A WEBSITE TO PROMOTE IT. IM GONNA HAVE TO PUT UP SAMPLE IMAGES OF MY FLIX. THEY HAVE TO BE GOOD QUALITY. SO MY PARTNER WHO WORKS WITH DISNEY IS PUTTIN A KIND OF WHAT WOULD BE A WATERMARK ON THE FLICK. HE AND I WOULD ONLY KNOW WHERE ON THE IMAGE THE MARK WOULD BE. REAL SMALL. MAKING IT EASIER TO NOTICE IF SOMEONE HAS STOLEN MY IMAGES. THATS ALSO A BIG REASON WHY I DONT LIKE GRAFF ON THE NET. FOOLS AND MAGS SNAKE SHIT FOR THEM SELVES. ITS COOL IF ITS FOR YOUR PLEASURE. SHIT I HAVE A WHOLE COLLECTION BUT I WOULDNT USE THEM. THERES LIKE 3 MAGZ IN CIRRCULATION RIGHT NOW THAT I KNOW SNAKE SOME IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION. THEYLL REMAIN NAMELESS.

i guess if you wanted to you could flik all your shit and seal it in an envelop and mail it to yourself...then find the money, lawyer, and the time to pursue your claim of ownership...but the illegal shit is illegal shit and you would probably have to own up to that fact in court before seeking copyright protection...photographers have all rights as long as it's public property...

You don't need a lawyer and you don't need to mail it to yourself. For the "legal work" the form is relatively simple to fill out (1 page the last time I did it) and the application costs $25. Getting a lawyer involved for copyright stuff is overkill. Patents and Trademarks are another story entirely.

But, remember, as soon as a work is completed you have basic copyright protection. You can put the little © and claim ownership without doing anything at all. You pay for greater levels of protection/ safety.

Archived