1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Congressman:

Discussion in 'News' started by hobo knife, Jul 18, 2005.

1. hobo knife

hobo knife 12oz Junior Member

Congressman:

Discussion started by hobo knife - Jul 18, 2005

Monday, July 18, 2005; Posted: 10:17 a.m. EDT (14:17 GMT)

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A Colorado congressman told a radio show host that the U.S. could "take out" Islamic holy sites if Muslim fundamentalist terrorists attacked the country with nuclear weapons.

Rep. Tom Tancredo made his remarks Friday on WFLA-AM in Orlando, Florida. His spokesman stressed he was only speaking hypothetically.

Talk show host Pat Campbell asked the Littleton Republican how the country should respond if terrorists struck several U.S. cities with nuclear weapons.

"Well, what if you said something like -- if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites," Tancredo answered.

"You're talking about bombing Mecca," Campbell said.

"Yeah," Tancredo responded.

The congressman later said he was "just throwing out some ideas" and that an "ultimate threat" might have to be met with an "ultimate response."

Spokesman Will Adams said Sunday the four-term congressman doesn't support threatening holy Islamic sites but that Tancredo was grappling with the hypothetical situation of a terrorist strike deadlier than the September 11, 2001, attacks.

"We have an enemy with no uniform, no state, who looks like you and me and only emerges right before an attack. How do we go after someone like that?" Adams said.

"What is near and dear to them? They're willing to sacrifice everything in this world for the next one. What is the pressure point that would deter them from their murderous impulses?" he said.

Tancredo is known in the House for his tough stand on immigration.

Mohammad Noorzai, coordinator of the Colorado Muslim Council and a native of Afghanistan, said Tancredo's remarks were radical and unrepresentative but that people in Tancredo's position need to watch their words when it comes to sacred religious sites and texts.

I think this is a real bad move...even publicly talking about this is a bad idea. Aren't we supposed to be the civilized ones? To threaten bombing a public place, much less a sacred place sounds very barbaric and uncalled for. This guy's career should be over. I wouldn't be surprised is he personally gets targeted by extremists.

hobo knife - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  2. SF1

SF1 12oz Elite Member

SF1 - Replied Jul 18, 2005

Kabars gonna agree with the congressman. :biglaugh:

SF1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  3. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

CACashRefund - Replied Jul 18, 2005

Tom Tancredo for prez dOOd

CACashRefund - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  4. Salafi_Zahrah

Salafi_Zahrah 12oz Junior Member

Salafi_Zahrah - Replied Jul 18, 2005

Yeah I just read this. This congressman has no idea what he's speaking about. Does he really tionk that blowing up Mecca and is going to help this "so called" war on terror? lol, he's out of his mind.

Salafi_Zahrah - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  5. Dawood

Dawood 12oz Elite Member

Dawood - Replied Jul 18, 2005

Bismillah wal hamdullilah wa salatu was salamu ala Rasool Allah Wa ba'd

Wow, This congressman has all the answers, take a small, Isolated fire, dump millions of gallons of gasoline and thousands of pounds of firewood on top, that's how we put a fire out here in the good ole U.S of A, Bo!
    What a stupid response, I swear , the way some people are talking, I feel like the end of the world is getting really close. Ha Ha, Let them drop bombs on Mecca, hypothetically speaking of course, (because I believe Allah would protect his house), but hypothetically speaking of course, It would be ON! fair to say that even 80 year old muslim women would be tossing grenades after that one. Really, the only way to stop this "terrorism" is for them to stop their aggression on innocent muslims. Really, until that stops, they will keep retaliating, Its like a global bloods and crips, The more they kill muslims, the more muslims will kill them, Its so simple to understand, Muslims are gathering whatever small means they have to fight back. I don't agree with all of the tactics they are using and neither does Islam, but this is the reality, People act as if 911 was the first time they ever heard of any of this. The fact is that the American Govt. has been killing innocent muslims for years before 911 and It eventually built up to that (that is IF muslims were really the perpertrators of 911) Killing of innocent people is wrong , no exceptions, I don't care what propaganda they feed you to make you beleive that killing innocent Afhghanis ,palestinians and Iraqis is ok , freedom, democracy, Mcdonalds and gas prices, whatever.......however you justify it, it is wrong, As wrong as a muslim who straps a bomb on himself and walks onto a bus.

Dawood - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  6. ILOTSMYBRAIN

ILOTSMYBRAIN 12oz Elite Member

ILOTSMYBRAIN - Replied Jul 18, 2005

Can you post a link to the story, I belive this, I'd just like to see the source.

BTW this is hilarious. I am completly athiest, but, bombing Mecca(a completly innocent holy ground) with NUCLEAR WEAPONS, if/when we get attacked is a huge mistake, and like someone else said, even talking about this is a huge mistake, islam is the most dominate religion on the world, now not only will we have a few extremist hating us, but the entire relgious body as well.

ILOTSMYBRAIN - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. Salafi_Zahrah

Salafi_Zahrah - Replied Jul 18, 2005

8. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

Dick Quickwood - Replied Jul 18, 2005

nice job making islamic extremists more credible. and people actually voted for this guy.

Dick Quickwood - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  9. KaBar2

KaBar2 12oz Senior Member

KaBar2 - Replied Jul 19, 2005

Let me get this straight---Tancredo running his mouth about bombing Mecca is bad, because Mecca is a holy site, but it's okay for terrorists to talk shit about setting off a nuclear bomb within the U.S.? As far as I'm concerned, the whole United States is a "holy site."

Al-Queda has plenty of problems already. I would think that picking more of a fight with the American people would be a bad idea. However split the American people may be right now about the war on terrorism and the war in Iraq, if anybody were to attack the U.S. with a nuclear bomb, I think that the real American potential for murderous rage and revenge would be revealed. The Japanese thought that by destroying Pearl Harbor and the Pacific Fleet that America would be cowed and humiliated. Not fucking hardly. I can imagine conspiracy theorists thinking that the neo-conservatives or maybe Mossad might set off a suitcase bomb here just to solidify American opinion behind their program, but it's hard to imagine Al-Queda being that dumb. It would be like kicking a hornet's nest. And then the hornets come swarming out. Really, really fucking pissed off.

KaBar2 - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jul 19, 2005

I wanna know why the hell this is a story on CNN. "CONGRESSMAN SAYS SOMETHING STUPID ON RADIO."

I can't think of any reason why this would be a worthy news item. It's a subjective attempt to further expose idiotic conservative thought, and only helps fuel the fire, not inform us objectively in any way about anything. It's totally a Fox News thing to do, but from the other side of the equation.

11. Salafi_Zahrah

Salafi_Zahrah - Replied Jul 19, 2005

For one thing we Muslim do not call Mecca (Makkah) a holy site cause nothing is holy but Allah. Two, if the government is stupid enough to do this then they will proving what we have been saying all along that this is a war on Islam. Three, there still isn't any proof that Muslims committed 9/11. There were more than tens of evidences provided by many individual "non-muslim" investigators stating that the Osama video cannot be taken as a smoking gun as it does not fill the criteria. If it were to be taken in any court it would be dismissed on its quality and credibility. And they say they found passports in the rumble, oh come on BS.

12. !@#$%

!@#$% Moderator Crew

!@#$% - Replied Jul 19, 2005

hmm, i did consider the claims of responsibility and what was a clearly joyous response to 9.11 in many parts of the world as an indication that muslims extremists were indeed responsible for the attacks.

i am not suggesting that there is no link between them and the u.s. government, but i think it is pretty clear that muslim terrorists commited those acts.
    just for one example, we do have the so-caled 20th hijacker in custody, and there is also plenty of evidence of 'missed oppurtunities' for intelligence gathering agencies that may have prevented the attacks, etc.

i am not so sure that courts would immediately throw that shit out of court.
    and where is the claim of innocence from the so-called perpetrators?
    i haven't heard any, in all the statements binladen has made since.

it makes a lot of sense anyway. terrorists clearly have an agenda.
    who else bu the mujahadeen could pull something like that off?

all that being said, of course what that congressman said is ridiculous

blowing up mecca would be tantamount to blowing up the u.s
    same old shit, different problem:
    more violence is not the answer to ending violence.

that attitude needs to get spread around to fundamentalists everywhere
    whether they be muslim, christian, or mormon or otherwise.

preach tolerance.

!@#$% - Rank: Moderator Crew - Messages:
  13. ODS-1

ODS-1 12oz Elite Member

ODS-1 - Replied Jul 19, 2005

Haha you were right!!!

ODS-1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  14. Salafi_Zahrah

Salafi_Zahrah - Replied Jul 19, 2005

Are you talking about what the media has told us? I'm sorry but there is more evidence that our own government was behind this than Osama.
    And Islam does preach tolerance.

15. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Jul 19, 2005

^^You're gonna tell us you didn't get that evidence from the media either, right?