Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

'Concept' Writers

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by -Unztopbl750-, Apr 7, 2005.

1. -Unztopbl750-

-Unztopbl750- New Jack

OK then. What I mean by 'Concpt writers' are those who deal with a deeper theme, one that unites all their pieces, tag names etc. What comes first, eye candy or brain food ( ;) )?
    Are these artists highbrow or lowbrow, or just plkain fucking pretentious?

Be clear I do not mean so called'Graffiti' writers who use art school training and one watch of wildstyle to appropriate an entire culture and do pieces on canvas to display in galleries (see McKenzie Galleries in St andrews for some truly shocking examples, not that any of you will live anywhere near sta's) I do in fact mean thoses who use grafitti as an expressive tool to convey serious points of view

Tell me if ive babbled a whole load of shit, i find it difficult to tell sometimes

2. Carla Bruni

Carla Bruni New Jack

I already see graffiti as a "concept" in itself so writers that involve another layer of meaning in the act of writing kind of run the risk to overload their shit you know

3. Carla Bruni

Carla Bruni New Jack

i really like espo's stuff, and KR selling KRink is a good concept

4. -Unztopbl750-

-Unztopbl750- New Jack

KRink is definitely clever, but I think it kind of defeats the point. Graffitti by its nature is meant to be sorta freeform, and selling people your custom ink is (in my opinion) just like licensing people to use your style. Better to tell people how to make the shit, and let them individualise it

5. Al Green

Al Green Veteran Member

this is very art school discourse.

6. POIESIS

POIESIS Member

7. I.C.Shadow

I.C.Shadow Senior Member

aye I agree, I think most of the conversations in class are pretentious and overly complex. If you want to break something down post some examples maybe to help out the discussion. :clown2:

8. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

how long you been writing? how much money do your parents deposit in your bank account every month?
    writing is about getting up and getting over. 'krink' has made KR one of the most famous writers of the last decade, that wouldn't have happened if he gave shit away for free.

writers that have some obvious philosophical theme tying all their work together are one dimmensional and boring...or atleast in every scenario i can imagine they are.

9. -Unztopbl750-

-Unztopbl750- New Jack

Hahaha you obviously have no fucking clue about my parents.

That post was full of shit, and i thought about removing it, but dont say shit like that

10. -Unztopbl750-

-Unztopbl750- New Jack

The point that I was TRYING to make was just that I think describing KRink as a 'concept' totally misses the point of what I meant (no offence)

I am actually talking about a group of people I know who don't really consider themselves 'writers' but more traditional artists, but they paint on walls. They (3 of them) do stuff together, kinda surrealist type stuff, usually with no written content.

To start talking about graffiti was just confusing

11. MAGS156

MAGS156 Senior Member

allong the lines of NEWA ? billboards and shit

12. MAGS156

MAGS156 Senior Member

with a message

13. -Unztopbl750-

-Unztopbl750- New Jack

don't know NEWA, see above post

14. -Unztopbl750-

-Unztopbl750- New Jack

justo be crystal clear: I have no problem with KR or KRink

Its just not what I was talking about

15. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

so basically you're talking about art fag bullshit, not graffiti, right?
    ok, good. i can go back to not paying any attention then.