Computer wizards...

SukiSukiNow

I've been using the Nikon Coolpix885 digital camera at work. Today it decided to aggrevate me!!! When I plugged the cable from the computer to the camera after taking pictures, I reveived a bubble on the right hand corner of the monitor with the message:

Power Surge Hub Port

A USB device has exceeded the power limits of it's hub port

What the hell does that mean and how the hell can I fix it? I have to meet with a web designer today and I think I'm fucked! HELP!!!!!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest ctrl+alt+del

how bout fucks try to help instead of simply trying to add to their post count.

suki, the first thing you should do is check any manuals that came with the camera, sometimes theyll explain what erros mean and how to solve them, if not, open the program and see if theres a help menu. 3rd option, go to the companies website and dig around.

Originally posted by ctrl+alt+del

suki, the first thing you should do is check any manuals that came with the camera, sometimes theyll explain what erros mean and how to solve them, if not, open the program and see if theres a help menu. 3rd option, go to the companies website and dig around.

Thanks for trying to genuinely help me, I appreicate that!

I read the damn manual and went to the site but no go. I had the tech guy here take the camera to be repaired. I think there's a possible glitch with the actual digital camera. You're the best!

Originally posted by ctrl+alt+del

ahhh good answer my friend... good answer...

and to think i was just gonna suggest that she should go fuck herself.

hmm.. interesting,

I can almost bet the problem is not with the camera but with your usb hub. And when I get through explaining this it might not even be much of a problem...

There are a couple different kinds of usb ports, cheap ones and intelligent ones... the cheap ones will allow you to draw more power than the port is supposed to handle, sucking valuable power off of the remaining ports. The intelligent hubs only allow a specific amount of power at all ports. So it seems to me that your camera may have been a bit greedy with its power consumption and your intelligent usb port just shut itself off.

You can test the port by plugging in another device and seeing if it still works properly which is probably the case. The camera has been used before on this computer?? You might want to try turning the camera on before hand, then plugging it into the usb to avoid the surge in powering up the camera. If all else fails, you might want to try a usb port that will allow for small power surges (drawing power from the other ports) or possibly a new usb cable for the camera.

Hope this is informative in the least... good luck!

Archived