Computer Progamming

why write?

hey i was wondering if any of you are computer programmers? (on your own time or if it is your job) if it is your job, how much school did you have to go through to get your job and does it pay well and was it worth the money you get paid?...and another thing what programs do you use?

and

if you do program on your own time, what type of progams do you make and what do you use to program?

im interested in computer programming, im learning python in school and ive taught myself how to work and program in vb3,4,5,6 and a little of C++ without using any books or anything..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by why write?

hey i was wondering if any of you are computer programmers? (on your own time or if it is your job) if it is your job, how much school did you have to go through to get your job and does it pay well and was it worth the money you get paid?...and another thing what programs do you use?

and

if you do program on your own time, what type of progams do you make and what do you use to program?

im interested in computer programming, im learning python in school and ive taught myself how to work and program in vb3,4,5,6 and a little of C++ without using any books or anything..

depends how deep you want to get into it, there are several degrees, most schools that have classes for it are vocational.. the usual is 1 year for the lesser degree and 2 years for the better degree, but you can finish faster than that if you focus on it a lot.

I suggest not getting into this field.

Yeah there's like everybody and their momma trying to be a programmer now... I mean... you could still do something with it. It's a skill.. you are just going to have to be more original i guess.

Plus they are hiring a bunch of people in india for white collar jobs.

More all the time.

Prepare for the class war.

i used to program, and will more than likely get back in to it. i taught myself c and perl and attempted to learn assembly, but it was a little too much for me at the time. i used to be a big time computer geek. theres just something magical about writing your own program, compiling it and executing it. all my programing was for unix so i never used anything than a text editor to write my code. i highly recommend any of the o'reilly books if youre into computers.

First off, forget about trying to get hired with "VB 3,4,5,6" experience. It isn't even worth mentioning the version numbers, actually. Every shitty vocational school and tech department in the country teaches Visual Basic as part of its programming curriculum. You'll want to know as many of the web related languages as you can learn (ASP, PHP, Perl, Java, etc) or be an expert in C++ / C# / Assembly.

Programming is a bitch to keep current on. I was a good assembly programmer 6 years ago, but I wouldn't be able to do shit as far as Win32 assembly goes. Many times companies will just hire someone with more recent training rather than retrain an older programmer.

What I suggest is getting another decent job and just do programming on the side.. that kind of goes for all computer related jobs though. It's nice to randomly get money for something you actually enjoy doing... but you get sick of the deadlines and such when it's your full-time.

Archived