computer help

T.T Boy

ok i walk in and theres this shit on my screen that says its defragmenting my c drive. i didnt start this and i have no fucking clue what it mans, ive ruled out any of my family members cause they are retarded and could do that. it was 80% finished when i cancled it. does anyone know what the fuck i did?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

when you move information around on your harddrive fragments of this information is left on your hard drive. What DeFrag does is it cleans up these small fragments. Its like changing the oil in your car...its good to do everyonce in a while..it will make your computer run a bit faster. Tonight when you go to rest your little TT head, defragment it. Trust Zack Morris.

Alright, I have a question, and don't want to start a new thread for something already being address:

I try to run my defrag, and nothing happens. It starts up like it is fine, but never actually runs. I check the visual status, and there is no activity....I have no idea what is wrong with it, and really need this thing working (my computer is running poorly). I can leave it for hours like this and it still doesn't do anything. Any ideas?

usually it shouldnt just run on its own it runs if you have it scheduled to or if set it to doi that at that time.to have it run at a certain time on its own you go to start> programs> accesories> system tools> scheduled tasks.and then just set it up when you want it to run or make it not run on its own if you dont like that.also it will not run if you have anything else in your comp going on like even a screen saver will make it restart and this could make the defragging take ages, so turn everything off if your goingto defrag and yes its good for the comp itll speed it up a bit.

Guest imported_Tesseract

seca and zack know whats up, however lets get it straight.

Defragment is really important, it makes your computer run faster cause it moves relative data closer. ex. Photoshop fliles (psd) are moved/rewritten right next to the program on the disc, it also fills the gaps that occur when you delete stuff, protecting the disc from damaged areas.

Defragment once in two weeks is recommended, to do it manually goto C:>PROPERTIES>TOOLS>DEFRAGMENT.

I would recomend to get it off the scheduled tasks, cause as mentioned above if the hard disc writes, defragment starts again from scratch, the best way is to do it is leave working all night when you sleep.

Make sure that A) you have no screensaver and B)that all the programs and sortcuts placed on your task bar are off (some off them may operate automaticly, trying to connect on the internet or perform some function)

Thats about it, explain in perfect english:D

Guest imported_Tesseract

Yeah, Smart is probably right, i 've only heard good things about Nortonutilities.

Until then Jesus, there's is something that blocks the defragment operation on your comp.

I'd suggest the following,

1) stay offline

2) close(exit/disable) all the applications that appear next to the clock on the taskbar. (right click eachone of these icons and hit the disable/close/exit option if available). Dont worry about how those programs will be restored after defrag, cause they're propably set to launch automaticly with windows.

3) Remove all the shortcuts next to the 'start' button, just drag+drop'em to your desktop (after you're done you just have to Redrag and drop them back to the task bar)

4)Select 'none' on the screensaver option, START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL>DISPLAY>SCREENSAVER>NONE

5)Dont touch the computer while defragment.

Defragement takes about 4 hours on a 6GB disk, so get it done before going to sleep.

Thats all i can think of, if you still cant get it done, its outta my league.

ah, amd while you're in the neighbourhood run an error scan to, its preety usefull.

Archived