Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Computer Help Required

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Tough Love, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Tough Love

Tough Love Senior Member

aight heres the run down. I have a disk(floppy) with some shit that i need on it. HOwever, i cannot open it because every time i click to do so, it says the disk is not formatted and gives me the option of formatting it or not. If i click no, it doesnt open and nothing works. Now, im not a genius, but i do know that formatting a disk will erase all the shit on it? (or am i wrong) what can i do to open this thing without losing any stuff thats on it? Or am i completely screwed and there is no way of opening this disk without losing my shit.

2. Tough Love

Tough Love Senior Member

oh yeh, if it makes a difference, the disk is "Double Sided, MFD-2hd" whatever the fuck that means, and im using windows XP

3. Biggus Dickus

Biggus Dickus Senior Member

What kind of computer was the data written on? PCs can't read mac floppies easily.

If it was written on a PC, Windows will give you that error because the partition table and or boot sector have been destroyed. Magnetic disks tend to self destruct like that. It doesn't help that modern Windows computers don't check for whether writes succeeded when writing to floppies because it increases perceived responsiveness when they don't.

I've written small files to brand new floppies before in Win2k, walked them to the next room, put them in, and had another Win2k computer say they weren't formatted before because windows just threw a bunch of data at the floppy drive as if it was a hard drive without seeing if it was being written or not.

Basically unless you know how to do low level recovery on floppies and have something with DOS on it to boot from, you're probably screwed.

4. Tough Love

Tough Love Senior Member

aahhh thats what i was afraid off...well im getting the person to email me the files...me and computers dont exactly speak the same langauge...

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

there's a program that does this, it's called spinrite, i have it or you can get it from emule. you'll need to boot from something besides your floppy drive