compu-smart people must enter this thread immediately.

iloveboxcars

my friend reformatted his computer.. and he says the only thing that he can access is setup. It's a laptop, it's a dell inspirion. He tried loading windows xp on it but it says non-system disk error and he does not get a dos prompt. They have also tried loading dos in it. apparently that doesnt work either.

any suggestions?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest mikro137

its a bios issue , im almost certain of it. go into the bios (f2 i believe on dells) and set the boot priority to have the cdrom boot first. that should solve it.

email me , and ill give you specific manuals and shit if needed.

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by ClueTwo

You can not do a clean install with Windows Xp..Tell him he must put an earlier version of windows onto the drive and then UPGRADE to Windows XP..If he needs help passed that I can probably be of some help, but let me know what's up..

thats total bullshit. im not only claiming im an expert , but i have the credentals to prove it.

mikro137/mcp since 2000

Originally posted by mikro137

its a bios issue , im almost certain of it. go into the bios (f2 i believe on dells) and set the boot priority to have the cdrom boot first. that should solve it.

so when you say cdrom, you really mean hard drive, right?

this exact same thing happened to me after i reformatted my hard drive too.

like mikro said:

when you turn on the computer hold down F2 or F8 (or one of those keys).

it will take you to a setup screen.

find the thing that says boot priority or something similar. it might not be right there, you might have to dig around a bit.

change it to cd-rom from fixed disk or whatever.

its really simple.

Guest mikro137
Originally posted by iloveboxcars

he says it still doesnt work, could you give me a word for word explanation? i dont have your email.

stevemikrojones@hotmail.com if you do aim , send me you name and ill walk you through it

j: you need to take an a+ course

effyou - you are dead on. dells thougha re weird and sometimes have seperate boot prioority bios (especially on that family) and you cjange em in seperate menus

if all he can access is setup, the only device that the comp is booting from is the cdrom. why in the world would you want to switch it to cdrom?

j/lets see how long this goes on.

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

well, the first thing didnt work, and whats his name hasnt sent me a message yet so nothing else has happened.

I see.

How far through setup did he get? I'm not rocking AIM, unfortunately, or I'd hop on and make this a bit easier.

If he is not getting past the initial blue screen part of setup, the comp is not able to boot from the hard drive to complete the XP installation.

The BIOS should be set to have the hard drive as a boot device. If the BIOS cannot see the hard drive, as in it is not being detected when you power up, then there is no way you can get anywhere. You will be repeatedly dumped into the initial XP setup process.

I am curious if the XP installer sees a hard drive present at all. If you could step me through exactly what happens when you try to install XP, that would be helpful.

I forgot to mention that there is often an "autodetect" option in the BIOS to automagically detect the drive(s) that are hooked up. If the drive isn't detected, chances are: 1) drive is not plugged in/connected correctly, or 2) drive is dead.

Good luck.

Sometimes with those brand name systems they will have a secondary partition on the hard drive that's very small. It can be used for things like system restore or sometimes they but the BIOS on the HDD. If he hosed both partitions it's possible the BIOS has been lost. Or if there was a 2nd partition for system restore purposes, maybe he didn't reformat the actual system partition but just the system restore one and he's trying to install on that one...who knows, it could be a number of problems. I guess I don't have any solutions to offer other than don't buy brand name shit because they are manufactured to operate a certain way, and sometimes it's hard to upgrade and make it your bitch.

Originally posted by mikro137

thats total bullshit. im not only claiming im an expert , but i have the credentals to prove it.

mikro137/mcp since 2000

You are living proof that certifications != intelligence. If you don't know the answer, don't open your mouth.

j/schooling nerds for a living

Originally posted by ARCEL

with some BIOS chips, older ones probably, you have to enter information about a hard drive like size and number of clusters or something, when you put in a new hard drive. maybe this plays into it somehow?

That's correct. Being a laptop, I doubt it requires this information since you'd have to rip the thing open to get the C/H/S numbers off of the drive label.

Archived