Compu-nerds help! (Can't install new programs)

-Rage-

I am unable to install any new programs I have downloaded off the net. For example I just downloaded Internet Explorer 6 and Yahoo Messenger 5.5. Whenever I go to run them the installs freeze up. Not the entire computer freezes, just the installs (they end up Not Responding).

I tried to find a solution on Microsoft's website, but it required me to

locate and run my regedt32.exe file. When I went to run the file it came

up missing. I have no idea if THIS is what's causing the installation

confusion. If so, is there a way to get my regedt32.exe back without

re-installing my Win98SE Operating System?

If the regedt32.exe is NOT causing my troubles in installing new programs than what could it be?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mr. ABC

step 1. unplug computer.

step 2. place computer back in box.

step 3. throw computer out window.

step 4. pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

one of the funniest things ive read on here....

STAY AWAY FROM regedit.....just the fact that your here means asking about the missing regedit means you should never even know about it...

if you were missing your registry then you shouldnt bootedup

id say stop downloading from kazza and playing dvd's with your system startup tray jacked up and your memory all used up like a 50 cent whore while your running a powerpoint presentation on the life of an hotdog vendor....

in other words refuckinboot and run them first one at a time without other progs running

Fuck that, there's no question in my mind about whether or not programs clutter your registry even after they've been uninstalled... I, myself, delete useless registry entries. And there's not abetter way to find out about things than to ask someone who knows.... and, you are pretty accurate about the reg being dangerous, but.... it's pretty harmless if you don't get too trigger happy with the delete key.

Rage: if you want to look through your registry at some of the settings that programs make..... I suggest starting in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE". I know that you said you already fixed the problem, and this doesn't completely pertain to it.

I wrote this to keep people who may read this from being deathly afraid of what could happen if they run the "regedit" program. I'll give you a hint, if you're computer's been actin funny, there's a small possibility that there's an entry in the registry some where to run a program that could be a virus...... so, with that said, be careful, and don't do anything that I wouldn't do. Don't hesitate to look and find things out for yourself and you'll be well on your way to achieving ereet hax0r status amongst your family and friends.

I'm a nerd. The end.

ok computer gurus. im prettty good with a computer. but here my problem. every time i play counter strike for a long time like an hour and sometimes like 30 min, i get the blue screen of death aka fatal exception error. why?!?

Archived