Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

community/youth center

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by freeze, May 23, 2003.

1. freeze

freeze Member

i need some ideas and opinions from everyone. i'm moving back to chicago in august and since i have yet to find my "passion" as my parents like to call it i'm not down to put the degree to work and get a real job. instead, i want to continue working with/for the people who share the same interests and ideas that i do, so i've decided that i want to start a community/youth center in the city. pretty much the basic premise of the center would be to give kids an outlet for their ideas and, i don't mean to sound corny and cliche, to give them a place to chill that doesn't involve drugs, alcohol, or any of the shit that goes down on the streets. essentially it would be a home away from home, run by kids for kids. if anybody has read anything by william upski wimsatt, that's the type of shit i'm talking about.

what i need from yall are some ideas on what you'd like to have in such a center, sorts of programs, projects...shit like that. basically, what would make you a: want to be a part of such a center and b: be proud of the center? i'm working on putting together a business proposal now and am in the process of making a list/contacting potential donors and supporters for the project. any ideas would really help me build on what i've already got. peace.

2. some pittsburgh flavor

some pittsburgh flavor Elite Member

there are a few youth centers here to keep kids off the streets and whatnot... don't call it a youth center or no one will go to it. nobody goes to the ones here. there's a pool table in the neighborhood one, and that was good for like, 3 days last summer... i dunno, i can't really think of anything without getting that boys&girls club kids in uniform picking up cigarette butts on the streets image in my head. good luck

3. JaZe

JaZe Banned

http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_62c569223ab6802d0e1069a93ea23001/i-1.JPG'>

Should help you alot

4. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

check out this SPOT
    (be patient, it took awhile for me)

it sounds alot like something you want to do. and it has been very very sucsesful! they have a great idea going!

5. nomadawhat

nomadawhat Veteran Member

^^that place above is called a youth center and people are still in there all the time!

6. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

a youth center ? hahahaha good one

7. freeze

freeze Member

thanks for that link nomada, it's exactly what i needed. are you from denver? do you chill there, because, ironically enough, that's where i'm at until i move back to the chi.

8. Esai

Esai Member

Get your nonprofit status going, especially tax exemption. Fund trips to the country or other fun places for poor kids to go. For immediate response, apply or make proposals for beautification grants, murals, cleanups, etc. Facilitate art, drama, pottery, karate,etc classes in this center. Also social services would help, Chi town has a lot of mexicans so an english class would be really good. Hang around schools to get good with administration, they can be a BIG help if youre on the same page. Otherwise GOOD LUCK.

PS If youre really serious, me and my wife run the same sort of thing in LA, and we could give you a lot of advice. We are still trying to get a big grant to start our own community center in Boyle Heights(East LA).hopefully Chicago has more appreciation for this stuff, in LA they expect any social service to be prison or boot camp.

9. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

10. grittylifer

grittylifer Banned

dont sleep on asking filanthropists for money. thats they job. to give away money to smart people with not enough money.

11. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

12. Esai

Esai Member

^^^The McDonald's orange punch was the good shit, only special occasions. That tampico bullshit was what I hated. Or crappy ass shasta soda.

13. dELiSs

dELiSs Elite Member

- turkey hand drawings!
    - duck duck goose.
    - hide and seek.
    -naptime
    -em.. fingerpainting.

i do not fucking know sorry.

14. krie

krie Guest

haha duck duck goose
    that was funny game