COLORS

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

http://www.designboom.com/eng/interview/toscani/firma.gif'>

handskill

.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

http://www.men.gr/70/toscani/2.jpg'>http://www.men.gr/70/toscani/1.jpg'>

facialskill

italian stallion behind Colors mag..

i was lazy with the photo search, and

becuz i dislike his benetton ads which

most sites seem to focus on....

if you want to see the illness, go buy

the colors mag, and watch/hear him delineate:

broadbondage

mediumbandaid

.i care becuz you do."

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest chicken bone

That Guerrilla News Network website is fresh, I've heard about this guy but I haven't had the chance or opportunity to pick up his mag. I will keep an eye out.

Guest imported_Tesseract

Straight up, I have read the issues on time and skin, time issue was plain dopeness. I'm not sure if those ads ever run in america but Toscani became big with the campaign for united colors of bennetton, an italian clothing company. He started off with antiracist photos, like a black and white hand holding and went to more contraversy imagery like the blood-stained uniform of a dead soldier from serbia...At that time 'colors' magazine was on. Sometime at 2000, toscani with his crew went to america, misguided the prison personell and took photos and interview from people facing the death sentence. After that, they printed te photos and with extracts from the interview they posed it as an advertsment, for ucb again, on billboards everywhere.

That was illegal and to many immoral. Toscani lost his job in Benneton and i was under the impression that he stoped running Colors as well(given that its the magazine of ucb).

Anyway, to get to the bottom, what he did in the streets with the ads might be one of the best 'artworks' of our age in my opinion. People often think that an artist has no boss or doesnt care about money. Thats crap. Michealangelo had the pope to pay him when he did sixtina chappel. In the same way, Toscani did a whole public campaign against racism, with excellency on both content and deliverance, while advertising clothes, that requires cohones.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Tesseract

Michealangelo had the pope to pay him when he did sixtina chappel.

I totally agree with you but... I don't think this is a very good example, history has shown that M_ was significantly less enthusiastic about the project than was the Pope... he got paid for a job he couldn't quit.

Guest chicken bone
Originally posted by ARCEL

michealangelo used rusto, you know

That was as stale as it was idiotic.

Is anyone else getting tired of ARCEL's one sentence replies to EVERY thread?

Get a fucking life you wiener.

Haha! But seriously...

he did it again

haters no like

but they jus can't fuck with it flows so tight

there used to be a kid on the upper west side that used to write colors in the 80s. cool shit. sometimes multi-color tags, always tagging with different colors; i guess you have to if you're gonna write colors.