College Educated and Unemployed

metallix

Let me just say going to college.

Does NOT guarantee you a job anywhere.

It's incredibly difficult even getting a $5.15/hr mcdonalds job.

Nobody wants to take you for the shit jobs, because they prefer the mexicans or 15 yr olds. Instead of the college educated person...

As for the other jobs, well there are none..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest im not witty

i got a degree. didnt do shit with it. worked in a warehouse huffin boxes for the last 4 or 5 months. just got fired yesterday. hahah. getting fired is awesome. fuck all this, im going back to school. then ill figure out how/where to work in another 3 years. cause for now i got nothing.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by heavyLox

what degrees do we have?

I've got about 18° to the right, with finger grips.

I was talking to a girl the other day who graduated from college. She seemed very intelligent and she got some kind of prestigious degree; I don't remember the name. But her job was showing people apartments. Not a landlord, not a real estate agent, or even a property manager. She was just like a secretary that tried to talk people into moving in. The job didn't fit what she worked hard in school for. Now I'm kinda worried if I get out of college if that degree will mean anything.

When my parents were growing up, they said it was common for people to just get out with a high school diploma and still live the "American dream" -- A steady well-paying job, a house with a lawn, a wife (that didn't have to work), a car, 2 kids, and a pet. Nowadays you got motherfuckers getting out with Master degrees in Quantum Physics and working a job at K-Mart and a second job driving taxi's , and the wife is working 2 jobs, one as a bus driver and the other watching the loud-ass kids at the day care center... and still struggling to make ends meet in their 1 bedroom apartment. It's sad...

Originally posted by TheoHuxtable

I was talking to a girl the other day who graduated from college. She seemed very intelligent and she got some kind of prestigious degree; I don't remember the name. But her job was showing people apartments. Not a landlord, not a real estate agent, or even a property manager. She was just like a secretary that tried to talk people into moving in. The job didn't fit what she worked hard in school for. Now I'm kinda worried if I get out of college if that degree will mean anything.

When my parents were growing up, they said it was common for people to just get out with a high school diploma and still live the "American dream" -- A steady well-paying job, a house with a lawn, a wife (that didn't have to work), a car, 2 kids, and a pet. Nowadays you got motherfuckers getting out with Master degrees in Quantum Physics and working a job at K-Mart and a second job driving taxi's , and the wife who has an Economics degree is working 2 jobs, one as a bus driver and the other watching the loud-ass kids at the day care center... and still struggling to make ends meet in their 1 bedroom apartment. It's sad...

hmm

my college career services kicked ass, i currently have a B.S. in business administration.

my first job out of college was 50K starting salary with a 3K bonus every quarter and stock options.

i got laid off from that and found another job through a head hunter 2 months later. i'm still here now.

the program i'm about to start in the fall has almost 100% job placement upon graduation. these are very important stats to look at when you are applying to schools.

I was so baffled and offended at the idea that I'm shelling out 5-figure loot per year, yet they tell me what courses I have to take, that I flunked out of 2 schools and never got a degree. (I went right out of HS to a high-pressure school, failed, took a year off, went back to an easier school just for art, still couldn't get away from bullshit mandatory courses, and gave up.)

As much as the degree + crap job/few prospects scenario sucks, it's worse down here in the trenches. I have no degree, and can't get a good job or a shit job. I last had steady employment in 1999. I can tell a lot of people interviewing me are disturbed at the gap between my apparent intelligence and lack of education, and my poor attitude, which I have trouble disguising (since I don't really want the shit job I'm applying for) is the final blow.

Stay in school. The degree you get lasts a lifetime, whereas shitty economic times may be temporary.

A. most schools that offer job placement are crap schools.

B. the american education system was set up to give students the tools to get a job, not to get them the job.

C. when you graduate your on your own. In the market today who you know means more then what you know.

D. Mandatory, or pre-req's are there for a reason. Most people want to jump tro the good shit, without realizing that, you always need a good foundation, with which to build on. And the foundation, if you loose perspective, can turn out to feel like bullshit, but they are really important; as long as you keep focused on the end game.

E. the educational system has yet to modernize itself to handle todays situation, thee are too many old folks involved in the decison making whom refuse to see or accept that students are not growing up in the same circumstances as the previous generations. the old modle of a lifetime career isnt the norm it used to be.

F. starting at the bottom may suck but if its the right botton you can move up, in time.

Originally posted by heavyLox

A. most schools that offer job placement are crap schools.

i don't think so, most reputable schools have good career services centers and contact with alumni and have good relationships with companies in the respective fields. many schools have career fairs and the good schools have the more prestegious companies come visit on campus an conduct interviews.

we had this really cool thing for seniors where it would show which companies were coming for the week and you would submit your info and they would contact you for an on-campus interview then an on-site if they liked you. that's how i got my kick ass job. hired straight outta school that ruled.

Originally posted by ubejinxed

i don't think so, most reputable schools have good career services centers and contact with alumni and have good relationships with companies in the respective fields. many schools have career fairs and the good schools have the more prestegious companies come visit on campus an conduct interviews.

we had this really cool thing for seniors where it would show which companies were coming for the week and you would submit your info and they would contact you for an on-campus interview then an on-site if they liked you. that's how i got my kick ass job. hired straight outta school that ruled.

thats not really what i consider job placement.

****i'll explain later when i have a minute.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

^You sure you don't mean "careen"?

I was quite sure. Then I looked it up anyway and "career" is to move headlong at full speed, whereas careen refers to veering. Either way, the bouncing off of shit was an overly melodramatic interpretation of either word.

D. Mandatory, or pre-req's are there for a reason. Most people want to jump to the good shit, without realizing that, you always need a good foundation, with which to build on. And the foundation, if you lose perspective, can turn out to feel like bullshit, but they are really important; as long as you keep focused on the end game.

This is bullshit, at least for my scenario. I'm talking about being forced to take courses that have absolutely nothing to do with your major because the degree-awarder insists that you be "well-rounded".

My take was more like, I'm paying the money (and lots of it), so I'll tell YOU exactly what I want. Requisites IN my chosen field are fine, and usually necessary, I can deal with that. If somebody wants to pay ME money to take some boring course, I can deal with that too.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

I was quite sure. Then I looked it up anyway and "career" is to move headlong at full speed, whereas careen refers to veering. Either way, the bouncing off of shit was an overly melodramatic interpretation of either word.

D. Mandatory, or pre-req's are there for a reason. Most people want to jump to the good shit, without realizing that, you always need a good foundation, with which to build on. And the foundation, if you lose perspective, can turn out to feel like bullshit, but they are really important; as long as you keep focused on the end game.

This is bullshit, at least for my scenario. I'm talking about being forced to take courses that have absolutely nothing to do with your major because the degree-awarder insists that you be "well-rounded".

My take was more like, I'm paying the money (and lots of it), so I'll tell YOU exactly what I want. Requisites IN my chosen field are fine, and usually necessary, I can deal with that. If somebody wants to pay ME money to take some boring course, I can deal with that too.

Yeah isn't that a major problem? Your paying THEM to teach YOU. You are the boss. Yet the system still dicatates your time and life.

THat is a major problem with the eduxcation system. Rather then teaching people what they need to know to improve themselves. The system teaches the masses obedience, and useless facts.

That and the Internet has rendered college almost useless for a vast majority of classes....

Skills are skills. Educate yourself if you have to. Make something happen.

that's pretty much what the tech sector is doing now since the dotcom bust... addressing a need and writing the code to fill the gap.

The future however, is in healthcare and biotech... that is, if there is a future (I saw the day after tommorow yesterday. That was a weird sentence.)

well, i'm half way through my college career and going back to work before i finish up and get my ba. shit, as long as it ain't for the rest of my life, i'll swing a hammer. until i have a real goal in mind (e.g. a major or a career) i'm going to work in the trades. yuppies always want their houses remodeled.

4 years in psych is pretty useless unless you finish and become a certified therapist or further it to become a psychiatrist.

I would love to be a psychiatrist. but looking at almost ten years in before your certified to start your own practice is a commitment, my grades and school devotion wasnt accepting.

*** back to the carrer placement deal.

having job fairs is typical however, most schools use this as a jump off for you to find work, but in the end its up to you to slam the interviews or to follow them up and or parlay them into a job, where as tech schools or training centers, like to advertise there ability to get you work. this is the bullshit. either your a school or a placement agency.

Archived