College Cats and Graduates...

ETHREADZNY

After a long haul, a 6 yr tour, I got one semester left before I get my B.A.

How many of you grads have a job in the field you went to school for, and how many are doing nothing what they went to school for?

I got friends with ba in everything, and a good portion of them are working construction and at blockbuster.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest -MOE LESTER-

im only in high school...i have no fucking idea what the hell to do when i graduate...i think im just gonna g the 4 years and get that thing when you finish, then just find a job somehwere

Originally posted by ETHREADZNY

The worst mistake I ever made was not going to tech in high school. Honestly everyone I knew that did some kind of mechanics or carpentry has a solid job, and all the college grads or frustrated trying to find a job after 60 thousand invested.

DING! ^^^^

i fucking hate college.. d's and f's baby... time to start my nationwide tour... i just need a dj.. seriously.. any of you good on the 1s and 2s??

oh on a side note.. DONT go to a liberal arts college.. FUCK learning math, science, english, etc all over again and again.. for 500 a credit hour.. fuck that...

my momma didnt raise no fool... it's like sage said.. just convince the masses your dope and your dope.

In a year and a half I've managed to change my major 3 times, to blow over 50 grand of my parents money, I'm applying to my third school once grades get back from this term, I've been everywhere from a private school to a commuter school. Right now I'm working on a dual major Marketing and Psychology. My parents having given up on me ever really graduating. We'll see what happens.

Originally posted by Kettiecat

In a year and a half I've managed to change my major 3 times, to blow over 50 grand of my parents money, I'm applying to my third school once grades get back from this term, I've been everywhere from a private school to a commuter school. Right now I'm working on a dual major Marketing and Psychology. My parents having given up on me ever really graduating. We'll see what happens.

YOU SUCK>

i graduated from college wth a major in business and administration, emphasis in marketing and IT. got a sick IT consulting job (later product managment for wireless software development) that i was recruited out of college for back in 2000 when the economy was booming. the job was sooo nice. didn't do much for 50K plus quarterly bonuses (2k) free gym membership, 3 weeks paid vacation the works. so it was worth it then, but i got laid off. now i make much much less and bored to death but too scared of the economy to look for another job.

my boy's a carpenter and he can make bank if he ever made it to work. the only benefits i can see from getting a college associated job vs a trade are:

-health benefits

-not as hard on you physically - which means longevity

-no seasonality (lawncare, carpentry sometimes have limited seasons)

-structured work week

on the other hand

-being laid off is a reality

-not much flexibility

-it's hard to find a job that your skills are just right for

right now i have an ok desk job that i'm not satisfied with that sort of relates to my schooling but i know there is nothing else out there for me so i can't quit or move on. i feel lucky to have a job, a lot of my friends were laid off for almost a year and they said it sucks.

currently i think experience is more important than a specific degree. when the economy is good people are more willing to train and take new graduates. i know here we won't even look at recent college graduates resumes, only those with at least 1yr experience, but we won't let anyone in without a degree either. so i dunno. the economy sucks. the school name doesn't even really help either. my sister graduated from Stanford, she's unemployed, two friends from Harvard aren't doing so well either. one's a teacher, the other has a low paying governement job.

the tech schools are good, but i don't know anyone who went to one so...

sorry for being so pessimistic.

The first college I was at (kettering university) big engineering school, you would work for three months at like GM or Ford and then go to school for three months. And as far as automotive engineering went the name Kettering GMI was gold. but I found out I hated cars and engineering so I left.

internships are the way to go..

i didn't do it, like a dumb ass

AA in Biology

worked as a chef through college

BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

worked as a research pharmacologist, testing radioactively labelled drugs on brain tissue and cell cultures

now i work at the institute of genetics at a major hospital and research center of the world..pretty big deal

i got my name published in a scientific journal (as of next month) as a co-author on our latest research paper..

my shit is 100% related to my college experience and could not be done without it..if i told you how much i make, you would prolly think "that ain't shit"..but i get to work on curing diseases and trying to figure out how to alleviate symptoms, plus my boss is really cool (and european) so i get a nice vacation(paid) set-up, liberal leave, and flexible work hours (i come in when i want and leave when my work is done)..plus there is NO CORPORATE BULLSHIT, no office politics, no inter-office gossip, and no idiots or morons.

^^ haha! I have full honours in BS. (and I'm not talking science!)

as for me...

I took the art school route. I an open ended scolarship, so I could waste

a heap of time if I wanted to. Originally the plan was to study either Sociology,

or Hotel and food Admin and get my Bcom. Fuck that.....

I'm an artist!

So It's off to film school!

I couldn't have possibly made a better decision.

As long as there's a soild industry, they're will be labour jobs.

I never wanted to be an artsy director or a bleek scriptwriter.

So I just made friends with all the guys who actually cared about the gear,

and now we're all working in some capacity. The people who got shit done

in school are the people who get shit done in life. Forget the wankers.

and now I edit and do design work for TV and film.

moral: dont try to be a suit if you're really an artist. It will only hurt you in the end.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Kilo7-

moral: dont try to be a suit if you're really an artist. It will only hurt you in the end.

i like that kilo kid...reminds me of zesto

I'll prolly have to do both...dont jinx me its a good deal

It's sad that artists today are so much about promotions.

If half of the 'artists' in my city put the same effort into

creating art works that they put into creating press kits,

we'd be living the next renaissance!

I guess to rephrase my point for the benefits of our greek speaking friends out there...

Dont give up on the art direction just because you think you'll be more comfortable with a business degree and a suit job. That's not what you really want.

Guest imported_Tesseract

man...renaissance was all about press kits and mad skills

and i already got the first point, being a bussiness man is far more artistic than most people think, i have the luck to be working as a businessman and an 'artist' without theese two being direclty connected

you fuckin racist

:dazed:

Archived