College Academic BS

Gunm

The thing I "love" about college are these assinine writing guidelines some of the professeors make me deal with.

For instance, I had to write a paper on groundwater contamination by arsenic....six pages of bullshit i don't even care about. i drink bottled water exclusively.

Anyway, we have to use a variety of sources for info but what is the most irritating is that we actually have to trek to the library and use two published sources for every internet website we use for citations.

WTF? At my fingertips is all the information I need to write an informative and stimulating paper. Why do i need to go and manually look it up? It's because my instructors belief that through this sort of academic indentured servitude that I'll truly learn to appreciate the value of a "well researched paper".

What they don't appreciate is the fact that I see this as a waste of my fucking time. It's like telling someone...."Yeah, there's this faucet you can just turn on for water to satisfy your thirst but instead, I wanna make you walk two miles down to the river to get water instead"

And man, what a lame thing to have to write about. First they said hot dogs were killing me and now they wanna terrifiy me about water....Shit.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I understand you point and actually empathize with it, but this being 12oz you know this is going to dissolve into a debate about which bottled water is best.

So, I'll nip it in the bud and say:

http://www.fijiwater.com/site/img/purchase/image_slipper.jpg'>

Besides, all your work and research will build character as well as provide you with an endless anount of anecdotes and knowledge that the 'intelligencia' will appreciate.

Originally posted by LENS

Anyway, we have to use a variety of sources for info but what is the most irritating is that we actually have to trek to the library and use two published sources for every internet website we use for citations.

WTF? At my fingertips is all the information I need to write an informative and stimulating paper. Why do i need to go and manually look it up?

they probably tryin to piss you off. You should leave man.

i agree with your professor homey.

a good paper should draw from many different types of sources. you also have got to realize, that to most serious academics, a paper citing only internet sources will be seen as "suspect." that's just the way it is.

i think the "lesson" he or she is trying to teach you is one of diversity of sources.

as far as it being a pain in your ass, i feel you. but school is pretty much a self-imposed pain in the ass.

am i the only one that knows you can access periodicals and books online? all you have to do when making a works cited page is format it like you held the book. if you're missing info, just fucking make it up! i haven't set foot in a library in 2.5 years of college. none of your teachers will check your shit, they just tell you that to scare you.

of course, if you're in grad school, i wouldn't risk it. those bastards will read your garbage if you cite it as a source.

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

I remember being so high, that I wrote an entire paper on Death of a Salesman referring to the main character by the wrong name throughout....

Willy Lowman and his son is Biff Lowman.

I haven't read the book in like 8 years but I remeber that.

and yeah... grad school people have months of book work and

anything you site will be looked over during some form of dissertation.

Originally posted by gfreshsushi

am i the only one that knows you can access periodicals and books online? all you have to do when making a works cited page is format it like you held the book. if you're missing info, just fucking make it up! i haven't set foot in a library in 2.5 years of college. none of your teachers will check your shit, they just tell you that to scare you.

of course, if you're in grad school, i wouldn't risk it. those bastards will read your garbage if you cite it as a source.

Ha ha ha, i liked the grad school comment...sooo true.

Yeah, i have a tendency to make a lot of things up my teachers just devour like it's the most profound thing they have ever written. My finest work yet was a ten page paper describing the differences in conversational style amoung progressivly smaller groups of all male participants.

Originally posted by LENS

WTF? At my fingertips is all the information I need to write an informative and stimulating paper. Why do i need to go and manually look it up? It's because my instructors belief that through this sort of academic indentured servitude that I'll truly learn to appreciate the value of a "well researched paper".

it's a conspiracy to keep the evil multi-billion dollar book publishers in business. the man's trying to keep us down

Guest BIGMETALCIRCUS

i have a class where i have to write a paper about the paper i am going to be writing. its bullshit, i deal with it. usually i just make shit up. one of the topics was role models, i wrote a 3 page essay on Bo Jackson, citing some sports illustrated article. this class is a waste of my time, but taking time off between HS and college was my own fault.

Archived