Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

coincidence?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by WebsterUno, Sep 10, 2003.

1. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

I experienced something weird last night.
    I was driving to a certain location, and I missed
    my turn. So, I take a different turn, and Im
    in my old neighborhood. My cousin still lives
    there and my pops does too. So, IM driving
    down the street, and Im thinking I sould go
    visit my cuzz. I havent seen him for about
    a month. I hardly see him, and I havent
    had much contact with him since my grandma
    passed away a few months ago. He used to live
    with her. So did I, for a while, back in the day.
    So, I was thinking about visiting him and having a lil
    chit chat about things and how he has been doing.
    Anyway, Im thinking this, and all of a sudden,
    he pops up, dribbling a basket ball down the street.
    I honk my horn and pick him up. He was headed
    to the church down the street, where my granny
    had her funeral. He was going to shoot some hoops.
    So I drive him there, and we play a game of horse.
    Best game Ive played in ages.
    Now, had I not taken that wrong turn, I would have
    missed him. What do you make of that?
    Coincidence?

anybody have any strange coincidences like that
    happen to you? My other cousin was with me when this
    happened. I told him what I was thinking, and he
    tripped out on it too. He said, "things happen for a reason."

:lick:

2. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

thats cool, i love it when stuff like that happens. it seems to happen to me a lot, ill write some examples when i can think straight

3. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

things do happen for a reason.
    I think that every girlfriend, friend
    or cool oppourtunity I've ever had
    seemed to happen by mistake. You
    never find what you're looking for
    untill you it finds you, and usually
    by suprise. That's just how it goes.

^ Webs Paragraph Stylee ™

4. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Very profound! :D

5. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

I had a discussion last night with my girlfriend over whether or not "everything happens for a reason" is true. Here's a simplistic version of the conversation:

It's very easy for one to say "everything happens for a reason" when you end up a winning at X. But the same statement doesn't ring true when you end up losing at X.

For example, why did slavery occur? Why did 7 million Jews die during the Holocaust? For what reason did they suffer? Did their suffering/pain lead to any greater good? One may argue that, yes, those alive today have a better life because of the pain that their forefathers endured. But what about the lives of the actual slaves/Jews? Someone who is born into slavery, toils their entire life, then dies in slavery - what can you tell that person when they ask, "Does everything happen for a reason?" What kind of response is, "Yes, because in 100 years your descendents will live a better life than you?" That doesn't help the problem that is here and now.

I ended up arguing that I think the blanket statement of "everything happens for a reason" is merely a way for people to console themselves when things go wrong - a way to convince themselves and those around them that all of the pain will eventually recede and life will be better than it was previously. Unfortunately, life doesn't always work out that way. Life sucks sometimes - and occasionally it never gets better.

** I have a feeling this post was extremely rambling, but I don't have the time to go back and edit it. Class time.

6. Swiffer Jet

Swiffer Jet Elite Member

sometimes i like to believe things happen for a reason.

i don't know.

fate isn't something that i can believe in...or so i think...