Cleveland Catches

ZackAttack

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hee hee hee..."No More Than 4"

...That's miles an hour folks...as in, don't hump cars at more than 4 mph or you could fuck them (or their contents) up on impact with a stationary line.

I've seen em hump much faster than that though, when they're in a hurry or training a new conductor.

Originally posted by ZackAttack

I was wondering the same thing myself... At first it appears to mean that only four autoracks can be grouped together at once.. but you rarely see only four or less in a line ever.. Perhaps it means that a certain shipment to a specific manufacturer can only recieve four cars at a time? Who knows... I've seen plenty of autorack lines stretching over two miles in length. I know a csx worker who can tell me so I'll try and ask him before the weekend is over.

I BELIVE IT MEANS NO MORE THAN 4 CARS CONNECTED TOGETHER AT ONCE CAN BE HUMPED!sO IT MEANS YOU WONT SEE FOUR AUTORACKERS CONNECTED BEING HUMPED TO ANOTHER LINE OF CARS.THE WEIGHT OF THESE CARS IS SO MUCH THAT WHEN BEING HUMPED THEY WILL LITTERALY KNOCK THE OTHER CARS OFF THE TRACKS!aNY OTHER QUESTIONS JUST HIT ME UP!!!!!!

Originally posted by HELEX

I BELIVE IT MEANS NO MORE THAN 4 CARS CONNECTED TOGETHER AT ONCE CAN BE HUMPED!sO IT MEANS YOU WONT SEE FOUR AUTORACKERS CONNECTED BEING HUMPED TO ANOTHER LINE OF CARS.THE WEIGHT OF THESE CARS IS SO MUCH THAT WHEN BEING HUMPED THEY WILL LITTERALY KNOCK THE OTHER CARS OFF THE TRACKS!aNY OTHER QUESTIONS JUST HIT ME UP!!!!!!

BZZZZZZZ! wrong. its 4mph, and if you're lucky you'll see some of the CSX stickers that actually say "no more than 4mph" one of these days. If it was no more than 4 autoracks coupled together it wouldn't make much sense to have a picture of two colliding with a line through it would it? they'd have to show like 5 attached to each other with a line through it, otherwise the illustration would make no sense.

The same policy usually applies to loaded hazmat cars too. Its not a legal requirement, but most railroads seem to follow the practice.

If you doubt my knowledge go lookup the pool instructions from daimler chrystler stipulating that the railroads MUST follow this rule when shipping their cars. Or any of the myriad of HAZMAT shipping/handling manuals that are kicking around online.

Archived