Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Civil War-Era Graffiti

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by GamblersGrin, Apr 16, 2005.

1. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a..._war_graffiti_1

Renovation Exposes Civil War-Era Graffiti

Thu Apr 14, 8:51 PM ET U.S. National - AP

GREENEVILLE, Tenn. - Renovation of former President Andrew Johnson's home has exposed graffiti that Civil War soldiers wrote or scratched into the walls, including someone suggesting that "Andy you'd best skedaddle."

Johnson was admired by Union supporters, but detested by many Confederates, and both sides used his home as a headquarters during the Civil War, according to the National Park Service, which acquired the two-story brick home in 1942.

Graffiti quotes written or scratched into the plaster walls include: "Shame on you Andy," "Andrew Johnson Traitor of the South," and "Guilty of Treeson." There also are poems, and dedications to "My darling sister," and "For My Home in Kentucky."

Johnson was the military governor of Tennessee during the Civil War and then served as vice president under Abraham Lincoln before becoming the 17th president.

His daughter hid the graffiti under wallpaper in 1869 to prepare the home for his return.

The park service knew there was graffiti somewhere beneath the wallpaper — but not where. During a restoration in 1956, the walls were photographed and notes about the graffiti were taken.

The home is being re-covered with wallpaper as part of the current renovation. The graffiti will be preserved, but will remain hidden.

2. Kr430n5_666

Kr430n5_666 Banned

you're own intentions

3. MEROJUANA

MEROJUANA Senior Member

I GOT A FILLIN IN THAT BITCH TOO, IM MAD THEY DIDNT GIVE ME ANY PLAY. MOTHERFUCKERS.

MERO
    MLBC.

5. Æ°

Æ° Senior Member

Andy you'd best skedaddle.

6. Gunm

Gunm Banned

what the fuck am i doing here? it's a nice ass day outside