christopher hitchens on daily show tonite...

mental invalid

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

really?

wow, i figured being the media whore like i am, that you knew who he was...

well um, christopher this is bobbo, bobbo this is christopher...im glad you two got a chance to meet...im sure you will both have wonderful disagreements...

poop check out the trials of henry kissinger...he is in the movie...drinking red wine chain smoking sweaty drunk...

"Hitchens is well-known for his ruffled and hard-drinking persona, as well as his unpredictable political views. A prolific writer, he has written many books and articles over the years, deliberately courting controversy. One book condemned Mother Teresa as a self-serving egotist."

like i said im sure you two will have your disagreements..

i know i do...but he i think he is brilliant and a terrific op-ed columnist...and he has a great use of the english language...

pompous yes, cocksucker no...nor would i say his writing of moores movie was ignorant...i mean you can disagree with its conclusions, i did with some, but i think claims of ignorance are unfair....

"To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery."

Really? You thought it was that good?

I really didn't get that much from the conversation. It's like Hitchens had 1000 things he wanted to talk about (which I'm sure he does), so he kept skimming the surface and skipping around a ton. But Jon was moving him along, too, though. Meh. Give me 30 minutes of Stephen Colbert doing anything and I'd be happier.

ooofah...that this week in god wasnt that good, though i did like the zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance shout out...

but yeah i always hate that about daily show, the short interview...and yeah i think that hitchens probably has about a 1001 things to say...

the man is so fucking traveled and so fucking brilliant and so fucking linguistically masterful that i could sit and drink and smoke and listen to him for hours...

timmy russert had him and the editor of vanity fair on for an hour a few weeks ago, thats the minimum for that guy...

but it was great to see him tanked and in a more relaxed setting...

so yeah i thought it was great, but i massively biased towards this guy...

browner check the link i posted, it has all of hitchens writings...

my problem with the 911 review was that it was an excercise in literary masturbation that focused almost solely on moore himself and not on the movie. which, for such an obviously intelligent guy, seemed well beneath him.

what do i know though.

i downloaded 'america the book' last night. im listening to it now. want to confuse the fuck out of yourself? get an accounting job, a web site and a talking book then try to accomplish all 3 at the same time. ohhh brother.

Guest imported_Tesseract

haha, seeking on some serious mutlitasking, sounds like hell indeed. Hitchens is fuckin dope..the kissinger book is just sharp as hell

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 2 2004, 03:12 PM

my problem with the 911 review was that it was an excercise in literary masturbation that focused almost solely on moore himself and not on the movie. which, for such an obviously intelligent guy, seemed well beneath him.

what do i know though.

i downloaded 'america the book' last night. im listening to it now. want to confuse the fuck out of yourself? get an accounting job, a web site and a talking book then try to accomplish all 3 at the same time. ohhh brother.

is stewart reading the book? i think you maybe missing out though on all the fun diagrams and illustrations...i was told not to buy it, my pops wants to get it for me for christmas...

and hooooray for literary masturbation!!

actually hooooray for masturbation period...

yeah, stewart is reading it. he does random voices for different characters. some old british woman, i dont know who she is, but she keeps saying 'muthafuckas' and talking about tea. jon also references the pistons winning the finals for some reason.

im sure im missing out, but whatever. ill check out the book when i have more time. honestly, trying to do all this shit at once is kind of causing me to fail miserably at all three. i think i might have to scale back on one aspect of my day.

sorry work...you'll just have to do yourself for a few hours, i got a book to listen to.

i also got 'art of war', '1984' and i have 'ulyses' at home downloading as we speak. ha. it's like 700mb. it's huge.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 1 2004, 11:59 AM

key3 insists he's dope....

ummm.... I do?

That's funny... because watching the daily show last night

was the first time I've ever heard of him.

And I would ageree... he does seem like a pompous twat.

• 1 month later...

ha im never over in this section of 12oz...but this thread caught my eye.

hitchens is my all time favorite polemicist

best description of him is one of the jacket quotes on his latest essay collection

"america's foremost rhetorical pugilist"

and its funny his farenheit 9/11 critique was mentioned, that still stands as one of the most adroit critical asskickings ive read in a while. moore is a chump and needed serving. that 'documentary' is one of the worst pieces of journalism ive seen in a while, and too many liberals are afraid to call him on his shit for fear of seeming 'to the right' of the left. but in that essay, hitchens clearly spoke up for all the left minded folks who know they can win arguments against the Bushy types without sinking to FOX-news type childishness...i.e. ambush interviews, shoddy fact checking, and preaching to the converted

hitchens is only considered pompous cause he rarely tows the line. he handed moore his ass in a debate once too...moore is shook of dude and avoids him, preferring to frame his own debates solely in self flattering settings.

the new collection of essays is dope, but if you read harpers and VF regularly, you most likely have read it all already. i got him to autograph my copy of 'letters to a young contrarian' as he was in philly recently for a world council debate (during which he thoroughly ate the entire panel, having even his enemies laughing cause hes just razor sharp with the wit).....dude pulled me outside onto a side stairwell to sign the book so he could grab a smoke, hes definitely a g in his own right.

santa just got that book for me for xmas...well actually i got it myself for me for xmas but still...

im about 20 pages in and im already swamped with verbiage that i do not know and references that i need to look up...but thats one of the reasons why i love it...

its the first book of his that i have read...

but in the spirit of giving i did give his new one to a friend for xmas...