1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Christ... technology is ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by imported_El Mamerro, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Christ... technology is ridiculous...

Discussion started by imported_El Mamerro - Nov 15, 2002

From this month's issue of Wired... I tried to find zesto's old thread on a similar article from the same mag, but couldn't find it...

Eyes in the Back of Your Mouth

The brain doesn’t care where visual input comes from. So why not see with a camera jacked into your tongue?

By Michael Abrams

_

Don’t fly by the seat of your pants. That mantra is drilled into every pilot’s head in flight school. It means pay no attention to the g-forces pushing against your ass; and keep your eyes on your instruments. If you don’t, and your plane is in a spin or a loop, you could get caught thinking down is up. But as aviation technology evolves, the cockpit is filling up with new instruments, overwhelming the pilot’s ability to take it all in at a glance. Luckily, the eyes aren’t the only way to see. Pilots can now sense other aircraft from a tiny zap on their shoulders. And they’ll soon be able to land a helicopter in a dust storm with infrared images lightly buzzing their tongues.

The fact is, visual information doesn’t have to go through the eyes to get to the brain. Our sense organs are mere input devices – wet USB ports. The basic premise, known as plasticity, is that the brain can adapt to new data channels by rewiring itself. It’s a short step from there to sensory augmentation and substitution. New devices are extending pilots’ perception of space, giving rudimentary sight to the blind, restoring balance to people whose vestibular systems have failed, even enabling orgasms. "A nerve spike is a nerve spike," says Paul Bach-y-Rita, professor of rehabilitation medicine and biomedical engineering at the University of Wisconsin. "The brain doesn’t give a damn where the information is coming from."

SEE FOR THE FIRST TIME, FLY BLIND, HAVE GREAT SEX

Bach-y-Rita has been experimenting with brain plasticity since the 1960s, but only in the last few years has the hardware become compact enough to create practical sensory input devices. His latest technology sends visual data through the tongue, which is jam-packed with nerves and coated with conductive saliva. A video camera worn on the forehead sends images to a laptop, which dumbs down the picture to 144 pixels. That signal is sent to a soviet-gray box, called a Tactile Display Unit, which converts the image to electrical impulses. The current winds up on a matrix of electrodes that tingle the image onto the tongue. In lab tests, the system enabled blind people to recognize letters, catch rolling balls, and watch candles flicker for the first time.

But a sensory substitution system needn’t be for substitution alone. Researchers at the Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory and the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition used Bach-y-Rita’s ideas to cram a pilot’s brain with expanded spatial awareness akin to sight. Instead of electrodes on the tongue, the Tactile Situation Awareness System uses a flight suit embedded with as many as 96 transducers – mini-vibrators like the ones found in cell phones. The TSAS makes pilots less dependent on their eyes. "The visual workload has gone up so high that we’re seeing an increase in the number of human factor-related mishaps," says Anil Raj, who heads the program at the University of West Florida. Now pilots can gauge their orientation from a buzz on the torso. If the plane banks left, they feel a zap on the left. If the plane makes a 180-degree turn, the zap will travel from one side of the body to the other. It usually takes months of training before pilots can look at their altimeters, attitude indicators, and compasses and understand a plane’s location in space. With TSAS, it takes 10 minutes.

Bach-y-Rita is adapting the system for stroke victims and others who have lost their sense of balance. He’s also working on a sensor-filled condom that, in theory, could channel sexual stimulation to the tongue (most men who’ve lost feeling below the waist still get erections). A little more funding and the system may soon fit into a wireless retainer that can snap onto the roof of the mouth. Videogamers will have a sixth sense. Navy SEALs, who complain that night-vision goggles destroy their eyes’ natural ability to adjust to the dark, will scan dark beaches with their taste buds. Pilots will vibrate their way home. And the blind will see.

WE CAN NOW SEE WITH OUR FUCKING TONGUES, PEOPLE. THIS IS NOT RIGHT.

2. fizm

fizm 12oz Member

fizm - Replied Nov 15, 2002

like beetlejuice. 1111111

fizm - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. Dyptheria

Dyptheria Guest

Dyptheria - Replied Nov 15, 2002

i wouldn't mind being able to see with my dick. during sex i could get a good view of the penetration. close inspection of the punani. i already think with my dick, may as well see with it too.

4. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Nov 15, 2002

I don't know dude, I've seen medical pictures of what it looks like inside that thing, and it's hardly arousing stuff...

5. loudhardfast

loudhardfast 12oz Member

loudhardfast - Replied Nov 15, 2002

if we are only using 8% of our brain than im not surprised that it is able to adapt to the things they were talking about in that article. imagine what the other 98% is capable of.

loudhardfast - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Dirty Dozen Crew

Dirty_habiT - Replied Nov 15, 2002

I don't know how much truth there is to that statistic.

Dirty_habiT - Rank: Dirty Dozen Crew - Messages:
  7. Dyptheria

Dyptheria Guest

Dyptheria - Replied Nov 15, 2002

^^do the math, then understand the joke

8. WhAt_dA_fUcK

WhAt_dA_fUcK 12oz Senior Member

WhAt_dA_fUcK - Replied Nov 15, 2002

some hard-core bangkok slut action....yeyah!

WhAt_dA_fUcK - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Nov 15, 2002

Hear the sound of Dirty's card being pulled....

10. Dirty_habiT

Nonnonon... I was referring to ol' dickeyes' comment about not using 92 some odd percent of his/her brain.... I dunno about you hombre, but I'm using most of my brain.... you sit there and vedge out if you want.

11. Kettiecat

Kettiecat 12oz Senior Member

Kettiecat - Replied Nov 15, 2002

lol boys crack me up

Kettiecat - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. footsoldier

footsoldier 12oz Senior Member

footsoldier - Replied Nov 15, 2002

ill smack you up....

footsoldier - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Nov 15, 2002

Once again... DO THE MATH, then understand the joke...

14. yoshy

yoshy 12oz Member

yoshy - Replied Nov 15, 2002

i think they meant to say use wet parts...

yoshy - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  15. Dirty_habiT

this is me lost, card pulled and everything. Yeup, you got me. :hands up: :turns around slowly: :punchs you in the face: