Chosen plan for World Trade Center site unveiled (with pics)

Poop Man Bob

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/26...t.ap/index.html

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/us/0301/wtc.rebuilding.finalists/gal.concept.2.2.jpg'>

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/US/Northeast/02/26/wtc.finalist.ap/vert.libeskind.model.jpg'>

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/us/0301/wtc.rebuilding.finalists/gal.concept.2.3.jpg'>

Libeskind has proposed a 1,776-foot-tall tower, symbolizing the year of American independence, filling top floors with life-affirming indoor gardens. It would leave large portions of the 70-foot-deep Ground Zero pit open, exposing the concrete foundation walls that survived the towers' collapse.

New WTC plan is taller than twin towers

NEW YORK (AP) -- A complex of angular buildings and a 1,776-foot spire designed by architect Daniel Libeskind was chosen as the plan for the World Trade Center site on Wednesday, The Associated Press has learned.

Libeskind's design beat the THINK team's "World Cultural Center" plan, which envisioned two 1,665-foot latticework towers straddling the footprints of the original towers.

The new building is planned to be taller than the trade center towers, which briefly stood as the world's tallest at 1,350 feet. Libeskind's tower also would surpass Malaysia's 1,483-foot Petronas Twin Towers, the tallest buildings in the world.

The choice was made by a committee with representatives of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the governor and the mayor. The committee met briefly on Wednesday afternoon and decided on the plan that was favored by Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, according to a source close to the process.

LMDC Chairman John Whitehead telephoned Libeskind with the news, the source said, telling the architect that his "vision has brought hope and inspiration to a city still recovering from a terrible tragedy."

Libeskind told the chairman that being selected is "a life-changing experience," the source said.

Nine proposals for redeveloping the trade center site, where nearly 2,800 people died September 11, 2001, were unveiled December 18. The design competition was launched after an initial set of plans, released in July, was derided as boring and overstuffed with office space.

Redevelopment officials were scheduled to announce the decision publicly Thursday.

After the two plans were chosen as finalists earlier this month, both teams of architects were asked to revise their designs to make them more easily realized.

Libeskind, whose original design called for a memorial at the trade center foundation 70-feet below ground, reportedly changed that to 30 feet, allowing for infrastructure and transportation underneath.

The LMDC was created by Pataki and former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani after September 11 to oversee the rebuilding of the trade center site and downtown Manhattan. The Port Authority owns the site.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_El Mamerro

http://www.september11news.com/WTC1202DesignLibeskind.jpg'>

Hey look!! It's got Spiderman webbing in it to catch attacking aircraft!!

I thought this was interesting:

"Studio Daniel Libeskind: Berlin-based architect, has designed the Jewish Museum in Berlin and an extension to the Denver Art Museum. The plan for World Trade Center area includes museum at the epicenter of ground zero, as well as two large public places called the "Park of Heroes" and the "Wedge of Light," which would be laid out in such a way that on the anniversary of the attack, the sun would shine down on them unblocked by anything. The plan also includes a 1,776-foot tower, the tallest building in the world."

This plan would've been sick:

http://www.september11news.com/NightMeier1.jpg'>

http://www.september11news.com/DayMeier1.jpg'>

this is a travesty. tacky tacky tacky. such a disservice to what theyre trying to commemorate. what ever happened to 'business as usual'? rebuild CLASSY new york, make yourself a nice memorial, and lets get on with our lives.

edit

i hope im proven wrong and everything comes out great, but right now, shit looks gay as hell.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

.....Wedge of Light," which would be laid out in such a way that on the anniversary of the attack, the sun would shine down on them unblocked by anything....

that would have been neat and well deserved. I had kinda kept up with this in the beginning, i really dont know how to feel bout the picked one. who over all gave the green light for the design?

Yoink, that's the description for the winning plan, so it WILL be in effect.

I'm not superbly thrilled by the looks of it. I really like the spire filled with gardens, but the other buildings look kinda stupid.

I'm saying, the one with the square towers would've killed shit...

/ yeah i gotcha now, i was kinda confused....i dont like the look....but that concept sounds nice. can anybody recall this one architect, i think he was kinda early 20th century type stuff that had one of the orignal plans for that site...some huge gothic hotel type thing where the trade centers plot is? it was featured in juxtapoz once....sorry if thats too vague...but i just cant get that thought outta my head and i cant think of the name right now.

and also those squares are nice, it would look almost surreal in the midst of all the buildings...

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Do they think people are actually going to want to work there?

I went to New York at the end of September. While I was there almost everyone I talked to had a story about 9/11. The rest of the country seems to forget to some extent but everybody I talked to made me feel like it happened yesterday. Many of the people I talked to said they would never work in a building on that site. It had little to do with fear of additional attacks. The area has a strong feeling of hallowed ground.

Originally posted by Kilo7-

well you know what... I'M EXCITED ABOUT IT !!!!!!!

and you know why? Because it's progressive!

The world has enough towering monoliths, it's time

for a change in the way things look. I just hope it turns out well.

I agree with you. I'm glad it's not going to be simply another concrete block extending into the sky. By differentiating the WTC buildings from others in the skyline, it'll be that much more of a memorial.

Mams - those square buildings look like tic-tac-toe boards. Yech.

See, the thing is, I don't really think it looks all that different from a lot of contemporary architecture. Crazy angles, deconstructivist structure, lots of glass and transparency. There's nothing really "new" about it (except the garden spire of course), I guess it looks unique among the sea of stale office buildings, but still...

I really like the square towers because it's such an odd and "wrong" shape. To see something like that in that size would be absolutely awe-inspiring and surreal, like yoink mentioned. I would get more of a sense of "something huge happened/is happening here". Plus, it uses only 27% of the footprint of the entire site, which allows the other 73% to be used as public spaces/memorials, which I think is apt. And dude, multifloor office skybridges? Illness!! Imagine having an office in the bottom corner of one of those little parts that juts out of the side... with a "floor window"... Beer,

El Mamerro

Archived