Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Chosen plan for World Trade Center site unveiled (with pics)

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Poop Man Bob, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Northeast/02/26...t.ap/index.html

http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/us/0301/wtc.rebuilding.finalists/gal.concept.2.2.jpg'>

[img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/2003/US/Northeast/02/26/wtc.finalist.ap/vert.libeskind.model.jpg'>

[img]http://i.cnn.net/cnn/interactive/us/0301/wtc.rebuilding.finalists/gal.concept.2.3.jpg'>
    Libeskind has proposed a 1,776-foot-tall tower, symbolizing the year of American independence, filling top floors with life-affirming indoor gardens. It would leave large portions of the 70-foot-deep Ground Zero pit open, exposing the concrete foundation walls that survived the towers' collapse.

[quote][b]
    [b]New WTC plan is taller than twin towers[/b]

NEW YORK (AP) -- A complex of angular buildings and a 1,776-foot spire designed by architect Daniel Libeskind was chosen as the plan for the World Trade Center site on Wednesday, The Associated Press has learned.

Libeskind's design beat the THINK team's "World Cultural Center" plan, which envisioned two 1,665-foot latticework towers straddling the footprints of the original towers.

The new building is planned to be taller than the trade center towers, which briefly stood as the world's tallest at 1,350 feet. Libeskind's tower also would surpass Malaysia's 1,483-foot Petronas Twin Towers, the tallest buildings in the world.

The choice was made by a committee with representatives of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the governor and the mayor. The committee met briefly on Wednesday afternoon and decided on the plan that was favored by Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, according to a source close to the process.

LMDC Chairman John Whitehead telephoned Libeskind with the news, the source said, telling the architect that his "vision has brought hope and inspiration to a city still recovering from a terrible tragedy."

Libeskind told the chairman that being selected is "a life-changing experience," the source said.

Nine proposals for redeveloping the trade center site, where nearly 2,800 people died September 11, 2001, were unveiled December 18. The design competition was launched after an initial set of plans, released in July, was derided as boring and overstuffed with office space.

Redevelopment officials were scheduled to announce the decision publicly Thursday.

After the two plans were chosen as finalists earlier this month, both teams of architects were asked to revise their designs to make them more easily realized.

Libeskind, whose original design called for a memorial at the trade center foundation 70-feet below ground, reportedly changed that to 30 feet, allowing for infrastructure and transportation underneath.

The LMDC was created by Pataki and former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani after September 11 to oversee the rebuilding of the trade center site and downtown Manhattan. The Port Authority owns the site.

[/b][/quote]

2. Bellbeefer

Bellbeefer Senior Member

it's going to look nice.....

3. Sk8trBOI!

Sk8trBOI! Banned

yea, but does it say when its gonna be done by?

4. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

is that designed by the same guy who built super man's house?

5. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

build 4 towers alltiwce as big

6. FlamingHobo

FlamingHobo Guest

great idea..lets build big shiney ugliness..with lots more glass!!

7. skaterzoot

skaterzoot Member

build it to the moon!!!!

8. krie

krie Guest

i rekin they shood build a memorial park, and have marble bloks and engraved all the people's names who died

9. http://www.september11news.com/WTC1202DesignLibeskind.jpg'>

Hey look!! It's got Spiderman webbing in it to catch attacking aircraft!!

I thought this was interesting:

[i]"Studio Daniel Libeskind: Berlin-based architect, has designed the Jewish Museum in Berlin and an extension to the Denver Art Museum. The plan for World Trade Center area includes museum at the epicenter of ground zero, as well as two large public places called the "Park of Heroes" and the [b]"Wedge of Light," which would be laid out in such a way that on the anniversary of the attack, the sun would shine down on them unblocked by anything.[/b] The plan also includes a 1,776-foot tower, the tallest building in the world."[/i]

This plan would've been sick:

[img]http://www.september11news.com/NightMeier1.jpg'>
    [img]http://www.september11news.com/DayMeier1.jpg'>

10. yoshy

yoshy Member

now thats an idea i like

11. beardo

beardo Guest

this is a travesty. tacky tacky tacky. such a disservice to what theyre trying to commemorate. what ever happened to 'business as usual'? rebuild CLASSY new york, make yourself a nice memorial, and lets get on with our lives.

edit
    i hope im proven wrong and everything comes out great, but right now, shit looks gay as hell.

12. yoink

yoink Elite Member

that would have been neat and well deserved. I had kinda kept up with this in the beginning, i really dont know how to feel bout the picked one. who over all gave the green light for the design?

13. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Do they think people are actually going to want to work there?

14. Yoink, that's the description for the winning plan, so it WILL be in effect.

I'm not superbly thrilled by the looks of it. I really like the spire filled with gardens, but the other buildings look kinda stupid.

I'm saying, the one with the square towers would've killed shit...

15. yoink

yoink Elite Member

/ yeah i gotcha now, i was kinda confused....i dont like the look....but that concept sounds nice. can anybody recall this one architect, i think he was kinda early 20th century type stuff that had one of the orignal plans for that site...some huge gothic hotel type thing where the trade centers plot is? it was featured in juxtapoz once....sorry if thats too vague...but i just cant get that thought outta my head and i cant think of the name right now.

and also those squares are nice, it would look almost surreal in the midst of all the buildings...