choices, job wise.

iloveboxcars

I currently have 3 options. here they are.

machine shop i currently work at has excellent benefits. pay is weak currently, but i am getting a significant raise on the 18th. not only that, but i really like the job. i like the ceo of the company. its overall a fun job. the company is only 6 years old and it has grown tremendously. also, with how fast i'm being given promotions (2 in the 3 months ive worked here) theres a strong possibility as the place continues to grow i will be up at the top. (san jose, where im currently at)

UP. Union Pacific. Union. obviously money and benefits are there.. but on call 24 hours a day, every day? ehhh. not so sure about that. nice retirement package im sure (havent looked into it) and shit.. its trains. (oakland, close enough to where im currently at)

work on roads in florida. sounds not so great.. but it would only be for acouple years.. well, i'd only be in florida for acouple years... if i like the job i might stick with it. i'd learn how to use equipment i've never used before making my resume look even better and if done right you can make baaaank. the humidity would probably make me hate your god. cheap to live in florida... but im pretty sure the "scene" in florida isnt that good graffiti wise. last 3 times i was in florida i liked it a lot. (across america)

what would you do?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it sounds like you got a good choice between option 1 and option 2.

id say take the florida job.

that way you can visit country ass places that have nice vintage boxes.

drive your ass to the nearest city.

tallahasee

jacksonville

orlando

tampa

ft lauderdale

miami

the keys

and have fun meeting tourist girls

either that or go to the country ass town bar that you are staying at and have at it with some country folk.

Hey, not for nothing... I have had days where I stood behind the Asphalt truck and shoveled 8 tons of asphalt in the summer sun. Then to do it again the next day. I was at the bottom of the ladder so I did all the heavy work but, honestly, if you aren't driving the truck then there is NO fun in the world of paving.

Maybe you'd be riding a grader or something else like that but... are you a certified 'equipment operator'? If you aren't an Operator then all you can really swing is a shovel. Not to say that companies won't train you to be an operator...

If I was you I'd think seriously about UP because everybody I have known has had a blast doing it and retire pretty quick with fat ass benefits. Usually not so much that you don't have to work anymore but you can get a very nice supplemental check every 2 weeks.

However, it sounds like you're in a good place where you are now. Growing company, promotions, good relationship with the boss. I would probably stick with this.

*one of my homeboys and his dad both worked for CSX and at one point they bought a retired Caboose. It sit's in the back yard of his parents house, but it's like 4 acres of property so you can't see one place from the other. It's all plushed out and we rebuilt the cabinetry to hold his stereo and entertainment stuff and a kitchen plus turned a closet into a bathroom with a toilet, shower and sink... it's pretty small but it's HIGHLY dope. I think they paid about $15,000 for it and maybe put another $5k into it.

i would stick with your first option, just make sure that this field has a tremendous amount of growth in the next 5-50 years which will be your future working years. You want a field that not just pays well, but one that won't have you replaced by some machine 10 years from now;

if you plan to stay that long of course. plus you seem happy there.

I would stick with what you've got. You might end up with something really fucking shitty and kick yourself in the ass daily for throwing away an awesome job.

Rail jobs don't have the best job security (so i've been told from someone on the inside).

Florida sucks. Sorry florida people..