Chinada part 2

Weapon X

We all know that the Chinese love propaganda. And we all know that Canada has a hard on for the Chinese. The CCP (some shit like Communist Chinese Party) is ready to broadcast a number of channels in Canada, through Rogers, I believe.

I can't find any news story, but here is an editorial:

Feb. 13.

Tony Wong has brought up an important issue to which all Canadians should pay attention. Why should the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) be allowed to use nine channels to broadcast its propaganda and censored version of reality in Canada?

If the CCP start broadcasts in Canada, the CRTC will need to hire Chinese language experts to monitor the content of the programming. We cannot trust the CCP to only show entertainment with no political content. The monitors will also need to be sensitive to cultural nuances that can have significance that is not obvious to a Western viewer. For example, few people outside of China would know how the "Same Song" is used to humiliate prisoners after their spirits have been broken by beatings and brainwashing tactics.

Although David Purdy (of Rogers Cable) is quoted as saying: "I have never heard a truly compelling argument for blocking channels or censorship," Rogers cable has not added NTDTV, a Chinese Mandarin station that is known for its high quality programming and truthful news reporting, to its roster of stations. You have to ask why would Rogers support the importation of nine CCP stations but not NTDTV, a Chinese language broadcaster based right here in Canada and approved by the CRTC?

I hope the CRTC will seriously consider whether anyone really wants the CCP to be polluting our airwaves.

Fucked up, man..fucked up.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

what the fuck gives

why do they get their own channels

i mean not just this but in general. Indian, chinese channels

fuck off, no one cares. They have as much right for a channel as any other ethnic group. I dont get it

i want a japanese channel....so that maybe we can see some cool sports on TV finally

thats kind of shit.

like, if they get chinese tv, shouldnt we all get like british television too? like all bbc all the time?

it would make just as much sense.

thats fucked, im lit and cannot decide if its cool with me or not.

canada is a crazy place sometimes.

hard to wrap my head around.

Originally posted by Weapon X@Feb 17 2006, 12:57 PM

We all know that the Chinese love propaganda. And we all know that Canada has a hard on for the Chinese. The CCP (some shit like Communist Chinese Party) is ready to broadcast a number of channels in Canada, through Rogers, I believe.

I can't find any news story, but here is an editorial:

Feb. 13.

Tony Wong has brought up an important issue to which all Canadians should pay attention. Why should the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) be allowed to use nine channels to broadcast its propaganda and censored version of reality in Canada?

If the CCP start broadcasts in Canada, the CRTC will need to hire Chinese language experts to monitor the content of the programming. We cannot trust the CCP to only show entertainment with no political content. The monitors will also need to be sensitive to cultural nuances that can have significance that is not obvious to a Western viewer. For example, few people outside of China would know how the "Same Song" is used to humiliate prisoners after their spirits have been broken by beatings and brainwashing tactics.

Although David Purdy (of Rogers Cable) is quoted as saying: "I have never heard a truly compelling argument for blocking channels or censorship," Rogers cable has not added NTDTV, a Chinese Mandarin station that is known for its high quality programming and truthful news reporting, to its roster of stations. You have to ask why would Rogers support the importation of nine CCP stations but not NTDTV, a Chinese language broadcaster based right here in Canada and approved by the CRTC?

I hope the CRTC will seriously consider whether anyone really wants the CCP to be polluting our airwaves.

Fucked up, man..fucked up.

I dont understand why this is fucked up.

I do understand how communbbist china is fucked up and

thye problems that exist in that context but there is

a huge differenjce here in Canada: Choice.

In China people dont have the chpice to choose non

partisan programing...but here we can. No one has to

watch the ccp channel if they don't want to where as

in communist china they were piping propaganda right

into peoples bedrooms through loudspeakers.

Granted I think subliminal messages and subversive

cultural messages that westerners may not be aware of

might be hurtfull to some people in Canada but no

moreso than the political agendas that already exist

in mainstream news and advertising.

Free speech is free speech and barring anything that

goes against the charter of rights and freedoms we

need to allow equal access to media for all groups.

Originally posted by isor357@Feb 17 2006, 09:49 PM

its mere speculation but..... theres 1.35 billion chinese. China is big but not entirely inhabitable. Even if chinese couples are restricted to 1 child.... thats probably 50 million children per year..... First china will try to expand into Australia. Next Alaska then Canada.

"then canada"?

its not THEN CANADA - its already happened. seriously come to vancouver and see

I too was wondering how effective the communist propaganda would be in an environment of free speech and free choice. I think it might be quite effective since it is most likely broadcast in their native language of chinese and there may not be comparable programs from chinese-canadian sources.

Interesting paradox that canada is now censoring the censors.

As for all of these wild fears of a rampantly overpopulating china taking over the world, I wouldn't bet on it. Chinese population levels are projected to go down, not up. 1 child per family is a negative population growth rate since it takes something on the order of 2.1 children per family for population to stay the same. Further complicating this situation is the fact that many female babies have been aborted due to chinese society favoring males. There is now a significantly disproportionate male/female ratio. I don't remember exactly what it is.

China still has plenty of manpower to drive on it's economic prosperity and growth, however complicating this is it's increased need for energy since it has outgrown it's own domestic coal supply 2 or 3 years ago, the pressure is already being felt on world markets and the price of oil is projected to continue to rise and potentially collapse the world market if we remain dependent.

Originally posted by sarcasm+Feb 18 2006, 11:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sarcasm - Feb 18 2006, 11:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Your Moms New Boyfriend@Feb 18 2006, 03:44 AM

^^^ must be a fob.

^^^ must be a racist.

[/b]

yes didnt you see my describe yourself in two words post...

free speech is free speech.

but what is in good taste?

who knows.

i dont know who would watch communist tv, other than me and ese for its awesomeness value. i mean, if someone was so inclined to watch it, but live here, why would they not move back to china?

everyone is so eager to jump on communism and how evil it is, when the the underlying idea of it, is so good. i mean, capitalism is working out so well for the majority of us isnt it?

debt, small amount of people with money, people like walmart putting loacl business out of business and taking the shop owners and throwing them in a blue pinnie. but fuck communism right...

I agree...that some things are in poor taste....but thats according to me. I cant really prescribe what 'poor taste' is in general.

I agree that there are prenty of things much worse than communism to worry about. I dont think communism is even the real issue here, I mean.... we have a communist party in canada so it isnt as if this chinese channel is going to usher in some new thretenting force or anything....the CPC is a legit political party already anyhow.... The real issue is who gets to decide what groups get access to air time and which dont and what dictates who gets what? I guess it works as it always has...whoever can afford it can buy media time. That, to me, is the real issue.

Originally posted by sarahyoulose+Feb 18 2006, 11:40 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sarahyoulose - Feb 18 2006, 11:40 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-isor357@Feb 17 2006, 09:49 PM

its mere speculation but..... theres 1.35 billion chinese. China is big but not entirely inhabitable. Even if chinese couples are restricted to 1 child.... thats probably 50 million children per year..... First china will try to expand into Australia. Next Alaska then Canada.

"then canada"?

its not THEN CANADA - its already happened. seriously come to vancouver and see

[/b]

i meant forcefully. I wouldnt mind having more asian girls around. Whats wrong with that.