Chilled Express: instant classic

Cracked Ass

Man, these things are filling up fast. I have 15 so far, half of which are hurried crap because I'm willing to take a little extra risk to hit these. I redeemed the crap with a few nice pieces.

These cars are going to be what the Solid Colds were in freight graff, a preferred surface due to flatness, white background, and great play. (In fact, they ARE the old Solid Colds, refurbished, so somewhere under the fresh paint, and your new piece, is probably some buffed history.) Some of the first few to be converted (it might be my imagination, but it seems like the ones with rivets down the side) already have that dirty, road-dusty look, the slow aging toward a beat-down off-white.

Here's to a colorful future for this reefer fleet.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

We get like none of these around here , the only time i see one or two on a line is when theyre just too heaty to paint , or just stoppin by for an hour or so ....so i havent been able to hit one , nor do i envision it soon .

On the bright side i hit my second ABOX over the weekend :yum:

( dont see them often either )

I agree with Cracked, these things are beauties!!!!!!!! I haven't been able to get one yet myself..I was seeing them rolling, but not at our usual paint spot..Guess what, they just started appearing there, and I'm scoping out a possible assault..Also, hey Cracked, I think I found that wine spot..remember?..Thanks bro, hope to see you and _ _ _ soon..

Guest HELEX

I wont lie or tell no bullshit!but i will say i have nothing but those white and gold refregerated upfe's in my yard all the time.Its just because where i live, we have a lot of produce in my area.I didnt know those whites were refurbished!if you notice they have all the refrigeration on the one side but it is actually on the outside, in which i belive the overall legth is longer. i have an estimated 1600 freight flicks of just upfe golds and whites!ever painted one?i got the flick!!this is no shit and the heads who know me will vouch for me!!!

enjoy you golden oldies!!

HELEX ONE

LOVE METAL

Chilled Express love...

I didn' thtink these were that hard to come across... It's true what HELEX says i guess its where your from... I seen a bunch rolling but i've only hit 1:( ... But yeah those are beautiful.. But i still preffer BNSF icsicles..

Originally posted by rob deer

group hug

*tear* just what i need.

ive seen a few of these, i saw a few being rolled through whats usually a layup spot, but it didnt stop, both sides were clean too. kinda depresing.

Originally posted by GucciHoochie

They are not old sold colds, chilled express is a whole different design, you can climb inside where the motor is, you cant do that with old sold colds, old solid colds are just stamped UPFE i see them daily.

Wrong. There are a small number running with UPFE and BNFE marks. But the vast majority were herded together at a northwestern spot I will not name in 2001 and refurbished. That included cutting out the ends with the old refrigeration equipment and building in the new equipment. A lot of work, but UP probably decided the mass retrofit was cheaper than ordering a new fleet.

Gold UPFEs are the next to go, some have been redone already and are coming out as white freshpaints with ARMN marks but retaining the old UPFE soft ridges.

Originally posted by Cracked Ass

Wrong. There are a small number running with UPFE and BNFE marks. But the vast majority were herded together at a northwestern spot I will not name in 2001 and refurbished. That included cutting out the ends with the old refrigeration equipment and building in the new equipment. A lot of work, but UP probably decided the mass retrofit was cheaper than ordering a new fleet.

Gold UPFEs are the next to go, some have been redone already and are coming out as white freshpaints with ARMN marks but retaining the old UPFE soft ridges.

ya well this is all old news to me, i been painting these trains for a couple years now.

• 4 weeks later...

i rarely catch reefers...saw my first chilled express this past weekend...toy outlines and tags on one side...on the other side was a clean straight-letter LIME piece in silver as well as another piece i couldn't read very well.

caught a white BNSF over a month ago...my first reefer!...motor was running the entire time...a good first experience.

Ive painted my fair share of red and green western fruit exp. or Maybe of a total of 10 BNSF white with the icicle on top, but only gotten one or two of the ARMN those are quality. How many of you have gotten good pieces on a SIMPLAT? Are all of them refrig I think not but dont know only been up close on a couple of them.

ihave never got a chilled express..or bnsf ice car....i got almost finished on a yellow upfe but had to jet....we have no spots that lay these up where i am from...i try to rock them on stop lies but can never get a good spot where they sit to actually hit one...sucks..but i will prolly be one of those writers to go down in history as "NEVER" being able to hit one..so i am wack!!

Archived