checking engine oil

sect one

i'm a complete dumbass when it comes to cars in my younger years ive ruined an engine etc etc so i went to check the oil on my car and i think i filled it too much its a little past the F (i'd say a half of an inch) and i am scared to drive on it wouldn't want to ruin this engine anyone out there hwo can help me? am i fine? can i drive on it or am i screwed

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

!!!

it depends

sometimes it wont do anything

sometimes it will

if you over fill too much there will be a too high pressure and you might damage something...

best bet is to drain some of it out. you definately dont want to do future oil changes on your own if you can't handle it. $20 will pay for oil change in most places!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest me IS cool

it's good to know how to change you own oil. Too much oil and you cause damage plus lots of white smoke. So if you see a lot of smoke after you change the oil drain some of it out.

:king:

take your ride for a spin. check your rearview now and then to see if your leaving a trail of smoke (unless you are james bond or playing spy hunter your car shouldnt come equipted with an smoke screen). if so, you have over filled your oil and burning the excess. if thats the case you should drain some.

Having too much oil isn't really a bad thing. Especially if it's just "half an inch" past the line on the measurer. It'll eventually slowly go down as you drive more. If worse comes to worse, just unscrew the oil plug and let some out into a pan little by little. But I wouldn't go through the trouble. You'd be gettin yourself dirty for nothin' IMO.

Originally posted by T=E=A=S=E

ofcourse.

its common sense that you fill it up to the full mark, and dont go over it by much...

thats what ive always done anyways.

Common sense would be checking the Haynes/Chilton or calling the dealer to find out how many Liters to put in your car. If you have to add to the shit then you are burning/losing oil which means you probably should get your car somewhere to have it checked..

I like ARCEL's idea the best..Adding sand to soak it up would defintely have been my second choice next to the spoon technique which may require some serious patience squeezing it in the dipstick hole...

if your car leaks oil from the undercarriage of the engine then I wouldn't really worry to much about it...because the excess oil will just seep out of the seals anyway...if it doesn't leak then I would recommend draining a little out....